Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

vintage soul music appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by mordecai, Oct 22, 2009.

1. scotsman

scotsman Active Member

James Carr - Pouring Water on a Drowning Man

Garnet Mimms - A Quiet Place

2. Southlondongent

Southlondongent Senior member

<< cool choices chaps - more please!

Jerry Butler - 'Motherless Child'

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Ben E. King 'Young Boy Blues'

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

3. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Barbara and the Browns - I don't want to have to wait [​IMG]

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm feeling this one right about now: Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)

5. Parker

And check this one. Another Frank Wilson track. Til You Were Gone. Never heard it before:

6. Southlondongent

I'm feeling this one right about now:

Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)

I'm sure you know this, but one of the only two known original 7" of this sold for £25,000 (yes that's twenty five THOUSAND Pounds Sterling) in 2009! [​IMG]

Great track though personally I prefer Chris Clark's version...[​IMG]

7. Southlondongent

...and speaking of Chris Clark...

Motown with a bit of a 'garage' edge (The Underdogs did a great version of this but even more garage and not really 'soul' even though it was on Motown)...

Another garage psych-tinged favourite from the Chambers Brothers...

8. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

my favorite funk instrumental ever. wish they all sounded like this

9. Parker

I'm sure you know this, but one of the only two known original 7" of this sold for £25,000 (yes that's twenty five THOUSAND Pounds Sterling) in 2009! [​IMG] Great track though personally I prefer Chris Clark's version...[​IMG]
    Holy crap! I knew it was a "mod" classic, but sheesh. Didn't realize the vinyl was so rare. That Chris Clark version is also great! I think it's better, too. Her phrasing is brilliant. I think I have it on a mix somewhere, but just YouTubed it. p.s. those other CC tracks are great. A great new discovery for me!

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

The new MFSL release of Curtis Mayfield's Curtis is really nice.

I also like the Billy Preston cuts on the Best of Apple Records comp so much I'm looking for the vintage cd of same.

11. softy

softy Senior member

What a lovely thread to discover. Following mharwitt's footsteps always leads to great threads.

Count Yates & The Rhythm Crusaders: At the Soul-In

12. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

The new MFSL release of Curtis Mayfield's Curtis is really nice.

I also like the Billy Preston cuts on the Best of Apple Records comp so much I'm looking for the vintage cd of same.

"Other Side of Town"

[​IMG]

13. C3PLOS

C3PLOS Active Member

Although this is the 'vintage' soul appreciation thread, is anyone else into the new crop of soul acts coming out (i.e., Sharon Jones, Eli Reed, Raphael Saadiq)? There's a lot more really bringing the old sound back in new ways. Some of these acts are even bringing out some northern soul style beats!

I wish I could post some YouTube tracks, but I don't have access here at work.

-C

14. Southlondongent

Although this is the 'vintage' soul appreciation thread, is anyone else into the new crop of soul acts coming out (i.e., Sharon Jones, Eli Reed, Raphael Saadiq)? There's a lot more really bringing the old sound back in new ways. Some of these acts are even bringing out some northern soul style beats!

I wish I could post some YouTube tracks, but I don't have access here at work.

-C

Sharon Jones & Dap Kings live on Later with Jools Holland...

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This has it all, amazing song, great dancing, funky guitar (Tele through a Marshall [​IMG] [​IMG] ) killer rhytnm section, and cool threads....

Not quite "rare" but this performance is amazing: Sam & Dave Stax 66 Europe Tour