1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

vintage soul music appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by mordecai, Oct 22, 2009.

1. LS7

LS7 Senior member

We can't let this thread go on much longer without "The Man", Curtis Mayfield:

"Little Child Runnin' Wild"
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

"Tripping Out"
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

"Doo Doo Wap Is Strong In Here (edit)" (the full version of this isn't on Youtube)

And of course...
    "Move On Up"

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ Curtis is almost a genre unto himself. He and Otis.
    \\\\

A few more performances. You can't really separate the dancing from soul music.

Major Lance Monkey Time

Major Lance The Beat

Jackie Wilson Lonely Teardrops

3. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

4. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

bringing this back, because i just watched a 70s soul compilation informercial under the influence recently, and have been listening to Rose Royce, the Main Ingredient, and my Capsoul compilation non-stop.

5. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

^ I'm glad you did, I haven't seen this thread before. Fantastic.

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

some off the top of my head

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. honey cone - want ads

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. willie hutch - baby come home

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights

8. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

honey cone! hell yeah.

btw, anyone know anything about marion black? "who knows" and "go on fool" are on a compilation i have, but i can't find anything else by him. sad, because both of those are amazing.

9. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Perhaps a bit too popular, but it is an AWB kind of day here:

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

11. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

The Numero Group's "Eccentric Soul" releases - proves that some extraordinary music came out of the South Side of Chicago during the 1960s and 1970s.

12. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Senior member

Perhaps a bit too popular, but it is an AWB kind of day here:

Oh no you didn't mention AWB in a Vintage Soul Music Appreciation thread! Keep it movin fella.

13. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

The Numero Group's "Eccentric Soul" releases - proves that some extraordinary music came out of the South Side of Chicago during the 1960s and 1970s.

these are amazing. big fan. also the german label trikont does similar releases

14. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

15. Dr. Mabuse

Dr. Mabuse Senior member

Alice Clark

16. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

new to soul music so i apologize for the big names:

Sam Cooke - It's All Right

Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness (holy fuck this live version rules)

Solomon Burke - Cry To Me (yes, if it sounds familiar, the song was in Dirty Dancing)

-Jeff

17. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

one of my favourites!

18. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

19. BankerBoi

BankerBoi Senior member

I like hiphop better when it was more driven by sampled classics.

20. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. bumping because these gems popped on my ipod today.