Vintage shops in NYC (and DC/Balto/Philly too)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdawson808, Feb 25, 2005.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Hi everyone,

I will be heading up to NYC for a weekend soon and would like to check out some better vintage shops. Is there a resource on-line that has info on the many many shops? Or maybe does someone have some advice to offer. I will only have Sat for shopping so I would love to know if there are just a couple that are a must.

And as long as I'm at it, anyone have advice on DC, Baltimore, and/or Philly? Or, again, a link to any websites that have information?

Thanks so much,

bob

2. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

When I lived in the Philly area, Ballyhoo was widely regarded as the best place for vintage clothes. I'm not sure if it's still a going concern.

3. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

There is a store on E. 81st Street bet. First and Second Avenues called Gentlemen's Resale.

It is a resale shop which sells gently used and new clothes from individual consignors at a deep discount.

I recommend them. They handle only menswear.

As with any resale/thrift store, it is hit and miss.

On that street, bet. First and Third Avenues, there are three female resale shops.

Most of the other resale shops in NYC are for the ladies. The few that have a "mens department" are not worthwhile for a man since the mens offerings are tiny. Encore and Bis Collections come to mind.

Cheers.

4. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

I agree with Brummell--Gentlemen's Resale a very good store, and I have a number of pieces under consignment with them now (including an attractive brown plaid Oxxford suit, people.)

5. crs

crs Member

I've bought stuff at Gentleman's Resale -- suits, blazer, ties, trousers. But I would not call it a "vintage" store. Most of the stuff is fairly new (and of high quality). When you say you are seeking "vintage shops," do you mean used clothing or do mean used clothing from decades ago?

6. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I guess when I said 'vintage' I meant just that. However, the idea of a "resale" store sounds good too. Really, I'm heading to NYC for a weekend, would like to have a look at a couple good shops that sell some good stuff be it vintage, consignment, whatever--just not typical Barney's or Saks or something.

And the suggestions all sound really good. I'll try to check out a few of them.

bob

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

Keezer's in Cambridge might have something.

edit: sorry. misread Boston for "Balto"