• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage rolex/hedi slimane

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.vintagewatchcompany.com/1...yster-air-king

about to pull the trigger on this watch, the black face air king- any opinions? perfect for me i think as can be either formal or casual, goes with pared down denim or a suit. according to an issue of vanity fair i read, hedi slimane wears one almost identical

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
http://www.vintagewatchcompany.com/1...yster-air-king

about to pull the trigger on this watch, the black face air king- any opinions? perfect for me i think as can be either formal or casual, goes with pared down denim or a suit. according to an issue of vanity fair i read, hedi slimane wears one almost identical

So you want the watch partly because Hedi Slimane owns one almost identical? Sounds silly to me. It seems like a nice watch. Buy it if you like, but beware the Rolex-nazis...

falsestart

Reaction score
If you do some more research I think you'll find that air king to be significantly overpriced for similar air kings of that vintage.............nice watch yes

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no i dont want it because of the hedi connection, that was just coincidence, although i like his pared down aesthetic which the watch seems to fit.
most of the dealers seem to quote around $3000 for one of these so price seems fair-ish to me? theres a 2 year guarantee. i dont want to buy from ebay...

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I bought a vintage Rolex from http://www.interwatches.com/

They were pleasant to deal with, gave me a break on the price when I asked, and shipped promptly. I verified the watch at Tourneau, so it was authentic (at least the one I bought - you should always have it checked). It was in perfect running order and great refurbished condition. I would recommend them.

If you're not married to the Air King, then you can get generally get a Datejust for less. They look very similar. As the Datejust is more readily available in the used market, you should be able to get one for around $1700 - maybe less.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
$3000 for an air-king is ridiculous. it's not even some kind of rare edition.

fyi, the air-king is like the starter rolex, like the cheapest one they make, and that's ok if all you want is a simple watch.

however i have a rolex date (the smaller version of the datejust) which was made in 2000 and i got it used for $1600, which was an ok deal. fyi inthe current line, the datejust and date are listed $1000 more than air-kings.

basically what i'm saying is i bought a pretty current rolex with the date function on it for almost half of what your willing to pay for a much older one without as many functions.

ok, maybe if it was a vintage patek phillipe, or your a horologist and you know that this particular vintage rolex has a movement deemed extremely valuable compared to today's rolexes --- but it doesn't seem like that.

read around on timezone.com and checkout the prices in the market place and you'll see why i think you're getting ripped off.

-----

on another note, i love my date. i change the strap/bracelet based on the occasion, and it's one of those pieces that really makes you feel like a man, like a good flannel or some levi's 501's - i just laughed to myself, but it really does have that effect on me at times.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
$3000 for an air-king is ridiculous. it's not even some kind of rare edition.

What he said.
The prices on that site are insane.
They're not even on bracelet.

The watch itself is nice enough though.
You should be able to find a much more recent vintage for that price.
It's just an Air-King.

chomeo

Reaction score
there are much nicer vintage rolexes than their air kings. save the $3k, buy an explorer and wear it. imo, it has a much better dial than the airking.

chomeo

Reaction score
there are much nicer vintage rolexes than their air kings. save the $3k, buy an explorer and wear it. imo, it has a much better dial than the airking.

smartcashmere

Reaction score
vintage milgauss 1016 is my favorite black dial rolex but +1 on the explorer dial looking cooler than the airking.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really want to quote myself but.. - Replace clothes/garment with accessories/accessory
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Repeat after me: I will not wear or attempt to wear clothes worn by celebrities because they are worn by celebrities, doing so will not improve my social, work or sexual life in any way shape or form and more than likely will do the opposite. Furthermore, I will not pretend that I appreciate these clothes for their own merit and not because of who is wearing them, as my ignorance will shine like a shard of glass on a dusty sidewalk, showing my true colours and real intentions for buying said garment.
So maybe this isn't the case with you, but even so.. By buying this watch you are paying a premium for its rarity, something which you probably aren't able to/won't appreciate. You are also paying for the movement, again, same thing applies. Lastly you are paying for design, styling and fit & finish, which you can appreciate to some degree, but still in many aspects you won't be knowledgeable enough to discern the little details that make rolex's so expensive (among many other high end swiss watches, which mind you rolex is not even close to the best of). Please realise though, I'm not trying to have a go at you, just trying to put things into perspective, I see a non-watch enthusiast buying a vintage rolex in the same vein as a house wife that isn't into cars buying a 1966 mustang. Just my $0.02

JO3B

Reaction score
except a vintage rolex could usually be had at a better price, have design features not available in current models, and damnit, you're just wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads