• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Ray-Bans

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I am ebay hunting for some raybans, not really sure what I should be looking for. I like some of the vintage ones without the watermark . At what point in the brand's life did they produce the highest quality? I've seen USA made ones, France, italy, etc., Any idea what I should be looking for? Yes, I realize there are hella fakes, but i've taken ebay gambles before and ignorance is bliss.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some vintage wayfarers

Bausch & Lomb lenses, made in USA, no rayban logo on lenses or arms.

They were purchased in the early 80's I think. These things are heavy, and awesome. Over 20 years old and look almost new. They're awesome and cooler than the new ones. Also they have EXTREME face tilt. Which is awesome.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love a nice pair of vintage US made wayfarers, as I hate the logo on the new ones. I probably will just settle for Moscot though.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they made the B&L Wayfarer I or II in a size under 50? I'm thinking the 50 will be too large for me. Which ones have less face tilt the I or II?

Also, What is the difference between Wayfarer I and Wayfarer 5002 B&L models?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
I would love a nice pair of vintage US made wayfarers, as I hate the logo on the new ones. I probably will just settle for Moscot though.

I just got some non-polarized Luxxotica Ray Bans (Made in Italy) and I'm going to have the lenses replaced with polarized ones without the logo. I only paid 60 bucks for the sunglasses (thanks Loemanns) and it should only cost me like 20 for the new lenses.

$80 for no logo polarized Wayfarers = Win.

Moscot's very cool too though, the New York boutique is worth a stop if you're in the area. I'm going to either get a pair of these or vintage Cutler and Gross for my next pair.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got some (barely) prescription Wafarer IIs (polarized and with double-hinged arms) to get some value out of my health plan at work. For the most part, I really like them (especially for free) - but the branding on the arms really sucks.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm trying to find some B&L Wayfarer I, sorta hard. I keep finding B&L 5022 and dunno what those are

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads