• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DBro

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here. I have what appears to be a pair of vintage Ray Ban Outdoorsman sunglasses that are a bit odd. They are stamped Frame Germany where the size usually is. If anyone has any information about authenticity I’d like to hear from you. I’ve posted a picture of them with a standard pair of vintage outdoorsman sunglasses on top for comparison.

View attachment 1112993

3E0146A0-C278-4AA3-B8A9-BD8B2A16637B.jpeg

256A099C-A14D-480E-A8DF-614E2A15891D.jpeg

28F7C038-F2D8-48D9-96BF-BD886A5836F0.jpeg

Last edited:

VetteMan96

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here. I have what appears to be a pair of vintage Ray Ban Outdoorsman sunglasses that are a bit odd. They are stamped Frame Germany where the size usually is. If anyone has any information about authenticity I’d like to hear from you. I’ve posted a picture of them with a standard pair of vintage outdoorsman sunglasses on top for comparison.

View attachment 1112993

View attachment 1112994

View attachment 1112995

View attachment 1113012

Yes, they are the real deal. I actually own a pair of Rayban Khalichrome shooting glasses that have Frame Germany inscribed on the underside. You don't see them too often, I would consider them rare. Not entirely sure if they were manufactured and sold there under Rayban hence the wording on the frames, but it would seem that way since I dont see too many in the States.

mmafia1

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Wondered if anyone could help me with these. Picked these up on facebook marketplace. I think there from the late 90's as they have the RB on the lenses in the left middle by the handles. They came with the Chromax case which threw me off a bit as I don't believe these are that style. I think the Chromax had a little lightning bolt by the Ray Ban signature on the lens.
I cant seem to find a model number on the handles but I think there is something under the plastic bits at the end but they don't want to come off.
They also came with a Chromax dust bag as well but left that at a friends.(going back for it lol)
Anyway thanks in advance.

View attachment 1112862

View attachment 1112863

View attachment 1112864

View attachment 1112865

Sorry, definitely not real. They’re a very common fake. The Chromax case is fake, should have stitching along the top inside, and the glasses aren’t real. They’re probably the most common fake combination around these days.
Sorry about that!

mmafia1

Reaction score

View attachment 1112993

View attachment 1112994

View attachment 1112995

View attachment 1113012

Yeah, as mentioned they are fine. Frame W Germany is a correct model, made under license in Germany, so will often see them with LIC stamped too. Nice pair, a little more desirable to some than a standard pair, but not much.

skidder

Reaction score
Sorry, definitely not real. They’re a very common fake. The Chromax case is fake, should have stitching along the top inside, and the glasses aren’t real. They’re probably the most common fake combination around these days.
Sorry about that!

Oh man. Good quality fakes! Gutted...

VetteMan96

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry to disappoint. Where abouts in the UK are you? I’m sure I could sort you a real pair.

Oops, guess I missed the stitching on the case. Besides that, I've never seen fake aviators with stamped frames. Useally the way I tell is by the weight of the glasses along with no markings or the way lenses are marked. How is this pair not real?

mmafia1

Reaction score
Oops, guess I missed the stitching on the case. Besides that, I've never seen fake aviators with stamped frames. Useally the way I tell is by the weight of the glasses along with no markings or the way lenses are marked. How is this pair not real?

Honestly, loads of fakes are stamped. I can guaranteed if you saw a clear picture of the stamping, the quality won’t be as good as it should be. But for me, the easiest way I can tell this pair aren’t right is the photo of the Ray Ban logo. It’s not the right angle, curvature, spacing and the distance from the rim is not correct. It’s subtle but over the years you can spot them easy enough.

ADE075F4-59C4-444D-A794-AC059BB2F777.png

VetteMan96

Reaction score
Honestly, loads of fakes are stamped. I can guaranteed if you saw a clear picture of the stamping, the quality won’t be as good as it should be. But for me, the easiest way I can tell this pair aren’t right is the photo of the Ray Ban logo. It’s not the right angle, curvature, spacing and the distance from the rim is not correct. It’s subtle but over the years you can spot them easy enough.

View attachment 1113317

Good to know, shows you need to look at everything now. I've always been more hands on when spotting differences if not made obvious in photos.

dinocro

Reaction score
Hi, all. New member here, and I would appreciate any help in confirming whether these are the real deal or not before I go back to the seller with this. I know almost nothing about identifying real vs fake, but these look suspect even to me.

Bought them on the big auction site from a (from what I can tell reputable) dealer of used frames with prescription lenses in them. I've bought a couple pairs of Randolphs from him in the past and had no issues with them, so I had no qualms about buying these with just one picture of the front of the frame posted in the listing.

They were listed as "B&L Bausch & Lomb Eyewear Frames 52-17-130 Gold Aviator," and I recognized them as old 52mm Caravans. They arrived yesterday with glass Rx lenses in them, but the markings on them don't match those of any legit B&L Ray-Bans I've been able to find. The only markings on them at all is "B&L USA" stamped atop the crossbar (and the "B" there looks a little funky, though maybe that doesn't mean anything). Nothing on the underside. No "Ray-Ban" nor size numbers anywhere. Nothing on the temple arms. And while the nose pads and temple tips could have been replaced at some point—they're in good shape—I might point out that they don't match what I understand to be "original," i.e. there is no "B&L" on the nose pads and no little outward curve at the end of the temple tips—though I'm not sure how dependable those signs are in indicating fakes.

On the other hand, and maybe I'm just naive, but it seems odd to me that someone would go to the trouble of making fake Bausch & Lomb Ray-Ban Caravans and stamp them "B&L" but not "Ray-Ban." But I don't know. That's why I'm coming to you. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
0.jpg

StarlitShades

Reaction score

View attachment 1112993

View attachment 1112994

View attachment 1112995

View attachment 1113012

Reading through this I saw that you had Rx lenses in these. Generally Ray-Ban authentic lenses will contain both the white RayBan logo on the lens' top right corner AND a laser etched into the left lens right near the temple (You may need to hold it up to light to spot it).

Now, it is possible that the frame is an authentic Ray Ban frame and that the lenses were simply cut by an optician that knows the frame's measurements and has their own uncut Rx lenses with your prescription.

The special thing with Rayban lenses in prescription glasses is that there are about 5 times more measurements that go into creating the perfect lens with your prescription. These things include the lens' curvature around your head, the distance between your eye and the backside lens, and even the angle at which light will enter your eye through the lens based on the frame's shape.

Rayban lenses also have premium features that most others don't offer like static resistance to repel dust and other perks that come with its premium anti-reflective coating.

If you are looking for an all authentic pair which includes the frame and the lenses you should look into getting the Ray-Ban lenses. The frame looks real to me.

dinocro

Reaction score
Thank you StarlitShades for your reply. When and if it comes time for me to replace the lenses I will bear your information in mind.

At the moment I am simply concerned with whether or not this frame is authentic. Could anyone provide me with any information on whether a frame stamped in such a manner as this one is would be authentic or not? Given that I can find no pictures or information that would serve to back up the legitimacy of this frame, if anyone can provide some details/history one way or another (i.e. some schoolin'), I'd be very interested and grateful.

dinocro

Reaction score
Hi, all. New member here, and I would appreciate any help in confirming whether these are the real deal or not before I go back to the seller with this. I know almost nothing about identifying real vs fake, but these look suspect even to me.

Bought them on the big auction site from a (from what I can tell reputable) dealer of used frames with prescription lenses in them. I've bought a couple pairs of Randolphs from him in the past and had no issues with them, so I had no qualms about buying these with just one picture of the front of the frame posted in the listing.

They were listed as "B&L Bausch & Lomb Eyewear Frames 52-17-130 Gold Aviator," and I recognized them as old 52mm Caravans. They arrived yesterday with glass Rx lenses in them, but the markings on them don't match those of any legit B&L Ray-Bans I've been able to find. The only markings on them at all is "B&L USA" stamped atop the crossbar (and the "B" there looks a little funky, though maybe that doesn't mean anything). Nothing on the underside. No "Ray-Ban" nor size numbers anywhere. Nothing on the temple arms. And while the nose pads and temple tips could have been replaced at some point—they're in good shape—I might point out that they don't match what I understand to be "original," i.e. there is no "B&L" on the nose pads and no little outward curve at the end of the temple tips—though I'm not sure how dependable those signs are in indicating fakes.

On the other hand, and maybe I'm just naive, but it seems odd to me that someone would go to the trouble of making fake Bausch & Lomb Ray-Ban Caravans and stamp them "B&L" but not "Ray-Ban." But I don't know. That's why I'm coming to you. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 1115095 View attachment 1115096 View attachment 1115097 View attachment 1115098 View attachment 1115103 View attachment 1115102 View attachment 1115099 View attachment 1115100 View attachment 1115101

Bump.
Really hoping someone could help before return window expires. Please and thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads