• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mmafia1

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm getting the frame of vintage Ray Ban and in my opinion it's original. Weld is good and everything else. The top of the nose bridge is impressed by the B & L Ray-Ban USA LIC while the bottom of the bridge does not write anything, and one ear pad is impressed 62 16. I care about this unusual size 62 16. I would like your opinion. thank you

View attachment 1074661 View attachment 1074663 View attachment 1074664 View attachment 1074665 View attachment 1074666 View attachment 1074667

https://vintagerayban.wordpress.com/

They’re RX frames, for prescription lenses.

kurtovic

Reaction score
"mmafia1,
thank you.
it is difficult to get the answer. older and more experienced members do not send often.

kurtovic

Reaction score
[QUOTE="RyanL31,
I have no similar. You have very old with a smaller gap between the glasses. Your color is RB 1 with bakelite nose pads. Could be a WWII era. Rare piece.

kurtovic

Reaction score
[QUOTE="RyanL31,
sorry my mistake.
I can not delete this

Last edited:

RyanL31

Reaction score
[QUOTE="RyanL31,
sorry my mistake.
I can not delete this
Thanks for the info! What’d ya want to delete? Sorry, new to the forum...any suggestions on how to get a value of these things? WWII and rare sound nice to me, thinking they could be more valuable than a regular pair of aviators ha

Clarke

Reaction score
Hi Ryan, like you I’m trying to figure out what I have also. In researching Ray-ban markings on aviators and I think the shooters as well, the mark across the top of the bridge is important. The “RAY-BAN” marking with nothing else is the earliest mark used until the early to mid 1950’s, when the USA is added the frames are later I believe and therefore would not be ww2. If you haven’t seen them a guy (collector) from England his name is Nigel has a number of informative vintage Ray-Ban videos he has produced.
Good luck, clark

mmafia1

Reaction score
Yes sorry, I don’t often have the chance to come on. I’ll hve a quick check of others posts and put up some answers.

mmafia1

Reaction score
So the shooters above, Ryan, they are early, 1940s pair of shooters, or shooting glass as they were originally called. RB2, not 1 as mentioned earlier. They are very popular in America and places like Malaysia/Thailand. Value is difficult, all depends on condition, and some models within that era are slightly more valuable than others, but typically i’d Say you can get $250-300.

mmafia1

Reaction score
Clarke, yes same sort of era, 1940-50s. Your are either rb2 dgm, or rb3 dgm, can’t quite tell from the photos. Unfortunately they’re 52mm which isn’t as popular or as valuable as 58mm models. The lenses make them a bit more desirable though, probably 150ish.

RyanL31

Reaction score
So the shooters above, Ryan, they are early, 1940s pair of shooters, or shooting glass as they were originally called. RB2, not 1 as mentioned earlier. They are very popular in America and places like Malaysia/Thailand. Value is difficult, all depends on condition, and some models within that era are slightly more valuable than others, but typically i’d Say you can get $250-300.
You’re the man! Thanks a lot for the info! Glad to hear they’re WWII era and I’m pumped they’re in perfect condition. Thanks again for the response

Clarke

Reaction score
Clarke, yes same sort of era, 1940-50s. Your are either rb2 dgm, or rb3 dgm, can’t quite tell from the photos. Unfortunately they’re 52mm which isn’t as popular or as valuable as 58mm models. The lenses make them a bit more desirable though, probably 150ish.
Thank you so much for the info, the size is actually perfect for my daughter and her favorite style of sunglasses are wire rim with similar lense shapes. Having a very early pair of vintage aviators should be something she will cherish. They almost fit me, I could at least appreciate the quality of the glass, it’s remarkable, how do you distinguish rb2 from rb3? I believe from the little I’ve found reading dgm arrived after rb1 production so this at least helps to narrow the manufacture date? Are there references to the model numbers I’ve been unsuccessful thus far in decoding the 6A8301 number hand written on the case and my best guess on the 16.95 puts them early to mid 40’s but I’m not familiar with price differences in model variations or economic fluctuations. I suspect these were purchased overseas in a military post exchange also so another set of variables.

mmafia1

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info, the size is actually perfect for my daughter and her favorite style of sunglasses are wire rim with similar lense shapes. Having a very early pair of vintage aviators should be something she will cherish. They almost fit me, I could at least appreciate the quality of the glass, it’s remarkable, how do you distinguish rb2 from rb3? I believe from the little I’ve found reading dgm arrived after rb1 production so this at least helps to narrow the manufacture date? Are there references to the model numbers I’ve been unsuccessful thus far in decoding the 6A8301 number hand written on the case and my best guess on the 16.95 puts them early to mid 40’s but I’m not familiar with price differences in model variations or economic fluctuations. I suspect these were purchased overseas in a military post exchange also so another set of variables.

That’s good, they are a lovely little pair and tbh 52mm pretty much dropped off the radar after this era.
I think you’ll have to get yourself a 58mm pair, I may even have a pair if you’re interested ;)

So, RB2, is much rarer in DGM and much lighter, i’ll post some pictures shortly to show the two. It’s only really possible to see in decent pictures with white background etc.
RB1, don’t really exist tbh! All the early models have RB2 lenses, even the AN6531 military issue ones. It makes the year very difficult to pinpoint, but yes i’d say mid to late 40s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads