• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bacc

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new and not sure if this is the proper thread to ask, but I bought a pair of used New Wayfarer Classic Raybans online, and I'm curious if they are actually authentic or not. Could I post pictures here or is there somewhere else I should go? Thanks!

oosterling

Reaction score
@GRBenson

Ray Ban on the lens from 1982, first painted quikly after etched.
BL etching, often it is stated they started doing that in end 70s, like 78. However I think they started with BL etching at the top of the lenses first. Maybe mid 70s, later it was at the side of the lenses. Where its mostly it is straight. Sometimes turned though..of which I think the are a bit older then the straight ones..

cmers123

Reaction score
I have an unusual one for you:

I have a pair of vintage amber aviator glasses that look just like the B&L Ray Ban Ambermatic Bullet Hole Shooter glasses. My father stored them in a Ray Ban case, so I assumed they were Ray Bans. But the bridge says "Bushnell 1/10 12k G.F.". I know Bushnell made sunglasses, but I haven't been able to find anything online about a "bullet hole" style made by Bushnell.

Hoping you have some information on these. Thanks.

badbeats

Reaction score
I'm new to posting here but I've spent a good deal of time reading old posts. I really appercate your collective expertise. I came accros this pair of what appears to be classic caravans but I'm looking for something a little more difinative. Can anyone help me ID this model?

I really appreciate any info or direction you can point me in.

-Mark

jillj245

Reaction score
I recently found a pair of Navy Blue framed plastic framed Ray Ban sunglasses that were purchased in either 1978 or 1980. They are aviators . On the inside right arm it says Bausch an Lomb and right under it , it says Frame France. On the inside of the left arm it says France with an embossed crown image and the number 145... Before I just toss them, are they worth anything? Seems to be no scratches and they are in excellent condition...I will include a picture if I can....

Beth5

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a pair of vintage Ray Ban that I need help identifying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
They have Ray Ban across bridge and B&L 1/10 12K GF under nose bridge. It also has what looks like bakelite nose pads and earpieces. The lens are very thick dark green prescription.
Thank you, Beth

oosterling

Reaction score
@Beth5 im assuming theyre either 58mm or 52mm wide, the lenses.
1/10 12K GF is to be translated as: 1/10 of the weight of the frame is 12K gold, Gold Filled. There are several technics regarding gold platting (https://hunterridgeacquisitions.wor...een-gold-gold-plated-and-gold-filled-jewelry/)

in the early days to make frames rust resistant the were gold plated. Later when it was easier to create proper rust resistant alloys they plated them only 1/30 10k.

so the 1/10 12k indicates you have an old model. This is also shown by its original case. The bakelite nose pieces are also indicating theyre old. Theyre used in the 40 - 50s
What mostly specifically show that yours are probably 40s (or maybe beginning 50s) are the earpieces, they are still the small ones. so really early BL Ray Ban with G15 lenses.

they dont seem to be in a great condition unfortunately

enjoy
Peter

Shawn Bryant

Reaction score
Hello Musehead! Great to find a RayBan ace here! I have a pair of "New Wayfarers" I purchased them new about 2005....They are sliding off my head because they have gooten wider over time...bending the arms doesn't correct the problem. I love these frames, they are completely intact...could you repair them?
I know I can buy another pair....just would like to keep these as they have great sentimental value! Any help is appreciated!
SB

Marco1010

Reaction score
Last edited:

BinaryFu

Reaction score
Howdy! I just recently picked up a pair of vintage Ray Bans and wanted to get an idea as to the exact age and perhaps the value of them. Pictures included.

Thanks for any information that can be offered! The BL logo is etched into both lenses.

Cheers,
BinaryFu

oosterling

Reaction score
@Shawn Bryant hi and welcome. i would expect that every optician could heat it a bit in the middle and bend the lenses just slightly towards each other. that would work...

oosterling

Reaction score
@Marco1010 theyre from the classic collection. i guess from late 80 - 90s. no clue if theyre rare. other question would be even theyre popular. Best to find out is to find some on evbay and see where they go for.

In the end aviators and wayfarers are the most popular and therefore the most valuable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads