Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. VintageLove

VintageLove New Member

Thanks so much for your response, oosterling! I'm sorry for the über late response. I'm trying to get the hang of this site. I saw the picture of yours. They do look like the ultra gradient lenses that my pair of Fantasees has. Here's a picture that I have in my phone, but I'll post some better ones shortly. [​IMG]

2. gamingdave

gamingdave Member

I'm not so sure. A quick eBay search shows lots of pairs from US sellers around the £100 mark. They are $490 on the US Ray Ban site. Despite there being an obviously large markup, can't see how a reseller could have them so cheap. A lot don't have the box or correct case either.

Been looking at some Chromax Wayferer like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221588412538?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Something like that could be right for the car. Then a pair of Ambermatic and Fantasees Caravans for out and about.

I'm also rather smitten with these: http://www.bafile128.com/en/ray-ban...-sabre-w1350-bl-sunglasses-8068057063319.html

I can already feel myself being pulled towards the rabbit hole. God knows I don't need to start collecting something else, watches and whisky are bad enough already!

3. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

Honestly, they really don't fake many of them, and you'll be able to tell very easy if they are. The good thing about ebay is it is very good for buyers, if at all you think it's fake you're guaranteed to get your money back no hassle. The price goes down a huge amount as soon as they are out of the shops, and the Ultra's are pretty old now to be honest not many people really know what they are!

Go for some Chromax, you won't regret it! Do you know what size you're looking for? Were you 55 or 58mm in the caravans?

Do it! It is very easy to slip into the vintage ray ban collecting, there are so many variations and each one a little work of art! :)

Jack

4. Degenton

Degenton New Member

Hi everyone,

Seeking some words of wisdom in how to best maintain a pair of vintage Ray Bans.

I have a pair of Bausch&Lomb Ray Ban 'Wings' sunglasses that used to be my late grandfather's (WWII vet, pilot). Has 'B&L RAYBAN USA' engraved behind the center, vertical frame just above the nose and 'US PAT DES 273.794' on the right ear piece. Gold frame, one-piece brown lens with 'WINGS Bausch & Lomb' in white on the top left of lens.

They were definitely used frequently, evident from the scratches on the lens. Is it possible to have the lens replaced? What do you suggest be done in order to overcome the scratches?

Much appreciated

5. gamingdave

gamingdave Member

Pretty sure the Caravans were 58. Didn't think they came in 55s, they don't now at least.

The more I look the more I like so yes, could see myself collecting a good few pairs.

Chromax, Finesse and Ambermatics definitely on the want list. Some cheaper B15 and G15 lensed Caravans for taking out when I might loose them too. Did they ever put RB50 lenses in Caravans?

6. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

7. gamingdave

gamingdave Member

Pretty cool those, quite distinctive and certainly a bit different from normal caravans.

8. netseeker09

netseeker09 Well-Known Member

I just purchased some Ray Ban Aviators in 58 mm as listed here, the VS-0091 Model and it seems the temples are too small. The normal Luxoticca aviators I currently have have perfect temple lengths. Any solutions to this?

9. Javelin

Javelin New Member

Hi,, I have a pair of Ray Ban Leathers,brown,bought back in the 80's,the leather goes all around the lens,,both lens have the etched BL on them,I would have to say that they are the larger dark brown lens,I have worn them,but as time went buy and prescription glasses were needed I just put these aside,and just recently discovered them,,I would have to say that they are in much better than average condition,with no worn spots on the leather,no cut stitching ,,I'm not an expert,but I would have to say that they are in better than just good condition,,,the brown leather case I also have,,,so I was wondering what the value of these are and if you would be interested in buying them,,,of course I will take detailed pics at your request...

I thank you in advance..
    Tom

10. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

@Javelin value realy depends on which leather model you have. there are some which are significnt more rare and populair compared to some others. also the specific lens type is rather important.

i myself am not a big fan of the leather series.

post so pics and i can be more specific

enjoy

11. CharlieZ

CharlieZ New Member

Hi, I have a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses W2839 that I bought used and would like to know if they are authentic. They have Ray Ban on the outer left and inner right ear temples and BL etched in the Lens. However the words Ray Ban are not on the Lens. Some pictures are attached. Do you know if these are authentic? Thanks[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. CharlieZ

CharlieZ New Member

If they are authentic do you know the year and other details about them?

13. SusieQ

SusieQ New Member

I have a pair of woman's Ray Bans that were a gift from my ex-husband when he worked for B&L in the late 80's and early 90's. They have larger black lenses, black plastic frames with a blue "foil" looking strip across the top. Then number WO 349 is stamped inside the left stem. Worn very little, one scratch on the inside of the right lens that does not impair vision. I was hoping I could find out ballpark what they are worth.

I also have a soft reddish snakeskin looking case for them (not sure what material it's actually made of), open on one end. The case is showing some age from just sitting around. Not sure if that increases the value.

Thanks so much for the advice.

14. GRBenson

GRBenson New Member

Hi, When did Ray Ban start putting their mark on the lenses? I have a pair of 58[]14 classic style aviators with the BL etched next to the hinges on both lenses but no "Ray Ban" makers mark on the right lens. The bridge bar is marked B&L Ray Ban USA 58[]14.
    Thanks and where can I get a degree in Ray Ban??:D:):teach:

15. raybanhelp

raybanhelp New Member