1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. Aryentain

Aryentain New Member

Hello people,

New here, i'd need expert advice about a vintage Ray Ban glasses. I guess my older brother purchased them in the 70's or 80's here in Argentina when he was younger. Searching through the internet the most similar ones are the RB3482, but my brother's seems to have a different shape and they don't have the Ray Ban logo in the upper left corner. Could you guide me to find more information about them? Many thanks! Some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2015

2. oosterling

oosterling Senior Member

@Aryentain

The code youq are referring to is a luxottica coding.
    Ray Ban is since 1999 from luxottica, before that iswas from bausch and lomb.
    The correct code from luxottica would be btw rb3136.

The model name from bausch and lomb like yours is caravan, obvious due to its shape.
    That tge dont have the ray ban logo meas that theyre from before 1982. Is the dont have any bl etching in the lenses theyre from before early 70s...
    The lenses in youee seem to be light grey changeables that turn darker in the sunlight.

If you will tell what is written on and under the bridge maybe there is more to indentify them more exactly.

Enjoy

3. Aryentain

Aryentain New Member

Really impressive information Oosterling, many thanks for your reply. That's true it turns a darker grey with sunlight, and yes, it does have some data written on and under the bridge, and i didn't note that! it says "B&L RAY BAN U.S.A." on it, and "B&L 58□16 U.S.A." under the bridge, i took a closer photo for it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2015

4. VintageLove

VintageLove New Member

Hi everyone! I'm pretty familiar with Bausch & Lomb aviators because I've always had a pair or two or three :) but I'm not too familiar with the Fantasees line since there aren't too many out there. I have a pair of silver colored Fantasees with the ultra gradient mineral glass lenses, but I don't know if these were all made out of white gold or not. Does anyone know anything about vintage Fantasees aviators? These have the sideways BL etching but no Ray Ban on the lens, so I'm assuming these are probably mid to late 70's. Thanks!

5. oosterling

oosterling Senior Member

@VintageLove post some pics, can never hurt to get jealous once every now and then :)

here you can find mine http://www.styleforum.net/t/347772/vintage-ray-ban-expert/945#post_7839283

so they appeared not to be super changeables but fantasees. I can tell because of the weight and the behavior in the sunlight.
    just arista gold :) bl also sideways and no ray ban logo. just how i like my ray bans the best [​IMG]

it became actually my new favorite pair. it is still near mint. 2 tiny scratches. still beautiful frame. now my task to keep it like that, but i damn well will wear them [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2015

6. oosterling

oosterling Senior Member

@Aryentain mm nothing new in there. frames sometimes were gold plated around that area. but it seems yours is not, no signs for that.

enjoy

7. Aryentain

Aryentain New Member

Many thanks for all your help oosterling, your info was very appresiated!

8. oosterling

oosterling Senior Member

9. pansbee

pansbee New Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with the model on these sunglasses. They're Bausch and Lomb RB's but the closest to the style I can find are Wayfarers and 4181's. Thanks! [​IMG][/IMG]

10. ukbrian

ukbrian New Member

Hi Folks,
    My name is Brian and I am from the UK and would appreciate any help you may be able to give.
    I have just had my eBay account restricted trying to sell a vintage pair of Olympic Wayfarers St,Moritz.
    I purchased them back in 2002 along with others.
    They will not tell me exactly why, just "We received a report concerning the authenticity of your item"
    Here is a picture of the glasses I posted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The details on the box are W1129 Olympic Series Sport Wayfarer St.Moritz / Ebony G-15 50/22 145mm 71479
    Etched in to the glass "BL" inside the framed "Sport Wayfarer 1928 St.Moritz" other side "B&L Ray-Ban U.S.A"
    The box, case, lens cloth and tags all have "1992 Olympic games" on them.

My questions are do all the details look correct? Any ideas why anyone would think they are not authentic?
    I purchased the along with others back in 2002.
    Thanks in advance.

11. Michaelvw

Michaelvw Member

@ukbrian
    Hi brian,

i have a few of these wayfarers but not this one because i also have my doubts about it.
    For as far as i know is everything original but it doesn't belong to each other,
    in 1992 there was an barcelona and albertville olympic game. So the the box, case, lens cloth and tags don't belong to this wayfarer.
    The wayfarer it self i also have my doubst, i hope also that somebody else can explain it exactly. The lens is real with a correct bl sigh but
    in 1928 Ray ban did not exist, ray ban is since 1939. So it could be a later reproduction?!?
    When it's 100% authentic there should be a cart with it like i have, picture is here below.

.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2015

12. ukbrian

ukbrian New Member

Thanks for your quick reply Michael.
    I think these may have been made much later and a special edition to commemorate the first true winter Olympics.
    I also think it came out in 1992. (Guessing here)
    I have seen a number of others on the net, some with the exact same accessories and others with a hard case.

13. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior Member

@ukbrian

Unfortunately eBay UK are idiots.... That's the simplest way I can put it! I've had loads of pairs taken down for the exact same reason, all of which have been 100% authentic. All they say is they have had a report from somewhere and nothing more, you can't appeal either.

I think as Michaelvw mentioned above they sometimes look at tiny details which are incorrect, i.e wrong model number on box and just take it down because of that, which is ridiculous. In some ways it's good that eBay UK are very hot on fakes, but in other ways, when there are genuine items for sale, which you know are genuine and you can't sell them it makes it VERY frustrating! If I was you I'd try and sell them to either someone on here, or a vintage sunglasses shop as they are nos. Dont try and list them back on eBay, you'll get a ban!

PS good to see another member form the UK! Feel free to stick around and share any knowledge you come across!

Last edited: May 14, 2015

14. ukbrian

ukbrian New Member

Thanks for you reply mmafia1
    eBay were shocking! I have a business account that they have now suspended for 7 days.
    I have had 2 heated chats with them, but they are just using a script and warned me if I persist in asking questions, I may be accused of trying to circumvent eBay policies.
    The glasses came to be along with about 20 other pairs as part of a debt payment from one of my customers.
    I sold many off in the first year, but now about to move house and these popped up in sorting household items.
    I have no idea of their worth, just need them gone.
    They are original in box with all paperwork, tags, stickers, cloth, case, tatty box, but no Olympic lapel badge.
    Very interested if anyone wants to make offers.

15. rdsmith3

rdsmith3 New Member

I'm new here. Hopefully this is the right thread to post in. I have a pair of B-L Ray Ban Vagabond's that are about 30 years old. I am the original owner. The lenses are quite heavy, so I think they are glass. There is a very small chip in one.

Anyway, I don't see much about this model. Is there much interest in these? They are an aviator shape but have a tortoise shell frame.