Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. tomr7574

tomr7574 Member

Saturdays: No, tortoise shell was/is never used. It is called "tortoise" "tortuga" for the pattern, similar to a tortoise shell, made out of acetate/plastic frames. You can find them on ebay or amazon, just use those keywords. It is a beautiful look ;)

2. Ryan44

Ryan44 New Member

here they are head on. My guess was they are some kind of wayfarers, however notice the different lens shape. It's unlike any I can find. [​IMG]

3. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

Sorry missed your comment. Thanks for that, appreciate it. Glad they are of some help.

4. musehead

musehead Active Member

@ryan44 [​IMG]

These are Wayfarer 5024 L2053 OWAS they look almost identical to your sunglasses except the studs are on the side of yours and none in the front, that's throwing me off.

5. musehead

musehead Active Member

6. musehead

musehead Active Member

@saturdays go ahead and check comment #46

I welcome any member to plug in the keywords I give them and search ebay themselves for prices.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Your answer to Saturdays is now post #45, the mods evidently have deleted a post. :)

8. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Uhhh it's called tortoise shell because they literally used to use them in accessories and the pattern was there because of it. It's illegal to do so now, but back in the day some accessories were made with real tortoise shell, today you'd pay a pretty penny for any of those, if you could even find them.

Unless you're just saying that Ray Ban never used, do you know of a place where one can find glasses with genuine tortoise shell frames?

Thanks Musehead, sorry I missed your post, I'm used to someone quoting a post then replying, and I was looking for that from you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  9. hawj02s

hawj02s New Member

Hi Musehead, I have just given some vintage ray bans which I would like to know if they are authentic. They are in the original brown case and in excellent condition. They are gold frames aviator style. They have BL etched into lens and white ray ban in one lens at top. The top of gold frame says BL Ray Ban USA, on the end of the gold arms is a number I believe to be L1603 (or 1693) VVAH. Can you clarify if these are genuine or fake, I can send pictures. Many thanks

10. sstrickland

sstrickland New Member

Hey I found an old pair of Ray Bans in a drawer and don't know too much about them. Besides the Ray Ban logo there aren't any other markings. There the kind that rap around your ear and have a gold coloring. I was basically wondering what you could tell me about them and ball park how much they may be worth. I have attached a few photos.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. musehead

musehead Active Member

They look authentic, do they have B&L etchings on both lens by the hinges? They have an Outdoorsman Frame ,G-15 lens with cable temples and looks like an authentic. B&L case. What does it have etched on the top and bottom part of the top bar:D below the brow bar?

12. musehead

musehead Active Member

13. sstrickland

sstrickland New Member

It does look like is has the BL logo etched on the lenses next to where the hinges connect to the lenses. It also looks like it has a serial number i can't quite make out but it looks like it reads B&L 62 with a box then 14 USA. I'm just trying to ball park how much they may be worth

14. lvshust

lvshust New Member

Hello Musehead:
    Just picked up some wayfarers and I am unable to find any info that would date them. I was told they were c1960's. Please help.and Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

-paul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. deadset69

deadset69 New Member

[​IMG]

I need help...what is this???