• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Thanks musehead :) I don't think I'd sell them though due to their sentimental value to me, I'm just surprised anyone could want them!

attesom

Reaction score
Dear musehead, Sun(glasses) divinity, I see you can give oracles on vintage Ray-Bans, so here I am with a pair got inherited from an old friend. Basing on what I found online they are supposed to be outdoorsman double gradient mirror, I think they are a small size (56) or medium, not large anyway; some signs of use and age (and dirt too, been in a closet for a long time), plating is a bit worn; the markings I see on the frame are "B&L RAY-BAN USA" and "B&L 1/10 12K" plus BL on the lenses and on the parts that go on the nose. What's particular is that I see the BL on both lenses turned horizontally (the B letter on the outer side).

See below a gallery of pictures for better evaluation, can you please help me in identifying them, and telling what can be the age and worth in case I decide to sell them? They are quite small for my face and in addition to this I'm using only Persol sunglasses with prescription lenses, nowadays.

Thank you

an image:

link to the gallery of all of the pics:

http://postimg.org/gallery/7ok3ia5k/

musehead

Reaction score
Vintage Ray Bans are a hot commodity, you'd be surprised.

musehead

Reaction score
@attesom very flattering but I'm just knowledgeable and know what to search for, just like those American Pickers guys. Anyways I digress those are unfortunately one of the most counterfit pair of vintage Ray Ban out there. The B&L laser etching is a bit disconcerning it seems to be in the wrong orientation meaning it seems to be upside down it could just be the picture. If those are real which the frame seems to be I'm not sure about the lens they can realistically fetch up to 100-150 in that condition.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This thread is very interesting to someone who has always loved the look of Aviators , but knows nothing about them - I didn't even know that they weren't produced by the original company any more.
I've got two pairs myself at the moment, one in gunmetal gray with greenish lenses, which I am sure are authentic and modern (came from a reputable supplier, paid a sensible price etc about 4 years ago.
The other pair, I'm not so sure about. I inherited them from my cousin a couple of years ago but I have no idea how long he's had them - he's in his 40s. They don't match with others you've described here - they are silver frames with green lenses, and although they have B&L Ray Ban USA imprinted on the top of the bridge they have RB etched onto both lenses (not B&L as you stated).They also have B&L Ray Ban 60 16 125 (with a little square symbol between the 16 and 25).
I can't see any other markings - unlike my new model ones which have Ray Ban Aviator Large , Made in Italy, etc, etched on various parts of the frame.
I assume these ones are vintage? Rather pleased if they are as I tend to be a fan of vintage in general. Funnily enough I hardly ever wear them on account of them having sentimental value, unlike the later (almost identical) ones I also own.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

This thread is very interesting to someone who has always loved the look of Aviators , but knows nothing about them - I didn't even know that they weren't produced by the original company any more. 

I never knew either that B&L no longer made them & find the info all quite fascinating to read too :) Obviously I'll leave our resident expert to give his verdict but could your lenses be modern non-B&L replacement, hence the discrepancy?

mmafia1

Reaction score
@attesom

Can I just jump in here, first ill quickly introduce myself, I too think of myself as a bit of a Ray Ban know it all, I've been collecting them for years, both Bausch and Lomb and Luxottica. Only aviators models though. I make half the YouTube videos out there about them!

Regarding the above gradient aviator model, the lenses are correct. They are from the 70's, before Ray Ban was put on the top corner but they started etching the lenses. They did quite a few models with the etching the opposite way round.

Also on the frame under the nose bridge where if says "B&L 1/10 12K" does it have a "GF" after? Can't quite tell from the pic.

musehead

Reaction score
@trubritishgent it happens sometimes, people put modern day luxottica lenses on Vintage B&L Frames that's what I think happened or even less likely it might be a pair that was made during the transition period in 1998 when B&L sold to luxottica. The frame sounds authentic though.

@mmafia1 I know they didnt use the white ray ban logo until the 80's but the B&L laser etching is not correct, look at the picture chuckie egg posted, that's how the B&L etching should be facing to the right from the hinge (the picture is obviously upside down so flip it to get the correct orientation) Now take a look at the etching of attesom's pair, the B&L etching is facing up and seems to be on only one lens. B&L laser etched both lenses either next to the hinges always facing towards the right or at the very top also facing right, depending on the age.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Thanks so much for being here.
In terms of cost-benefit, focusing on quality and style and not rarity, which Ray Ban should I be looking for?
Thanks

musehead

Reaction score
My favorite B&L Ray Ban aviator model is the B-20 Chromax driving series. When you're wearing them reds and greens pop its hard to describe but everything looks more defined, they're an amazing lens. The frame is light and the nose pads are the most comfortable B&L made. You can find them on ebay for 150-300 dollars, around 100 if you're lucky. I would not pay more than 250 for a pair though. They come in the more common gold or in a rare matte black frame. The matte black frame is my favorite it pairs really well with the orange reddish B-20 lens. One last thing that make these already sublime sunglasses even better is that the Ray Ban logo is gold and has a little thunderbolt next to it.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks so much for being here.
In terms of cost-benefit, focusing on quality and style and not rarity, which Ray Ban should I be looking for?
Thanks

I don't claim to have anything like Musehead and co's knowledge, but being as a huge selection of Ray Bans are available at retail for about $120, surely this a question of individual personal taste?

And to the others who said Ray Ban no longer makes aviators (did you really say that?) of course they still do. I would be very surprised if they EVER stop making their bread and butter styles - aviators, wayfarers, clubmasters, no matter how exotic and trendy their other styles become.

Perhaps what is meant is that Ray Ban aviators were first designed for USAAF pilots and RB no longer supplies the military. That honor seems to jump back and forth depending on contract arrangements between American Optical and Randolph Engineering, I expect in the same way that Wenger and Victorinox are either the 'official' or the 'genuine' (or was it 'original'?) Swiss Army Knife.

Anyway I had some AO aviators and they were rubbish. Plating wore off, hinges got loose, didn't last long at all. I have a couple of RE pairs and they are excellent so far. I still love my RBs too!

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
My favorite B&L Ray Ban aviator model is the B-20 Chromax driving series. When you're wearing them reds and greens pop its hard to describe but everything looks more defined, they're an amazing lens. The frame is light and the nose pads are the most comfortable B&L made. You can find them on ebay for 150-300 dollars, around 100 if you're lucky. I would not pay more than 250 for a pair though. They come in the more common gold or in a rare matte black frame. The matte black frame is my favorite it pairs really well with the orange reddish B-20 lens. One last thing that make these already sublime sunglasses even better is that the Ray Ban logo is gold and has a little thunderbolt next to it.

Sounds awesome
cool.gif
Does modern Ray-ban still make them?

musehead

Reaction score
They no longer make them. I do know Luxottica brought back their version of ambermatics and pink changeables but they don't compare to the quality of their vintage B&L counterparts, that's what makes B&L Ray Ban aviators so highly sought after especially some rare models that can fetch upwards of 2500 dollars.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
@attesom

Can I just jump in here, first ill quickly introduce myself, I too think of myself as a bit of a Ray Ban know it all, I've been collecting them for years, both Bausch and Lomb and Luxottica. Only aviators models though. I make half the YouTube videos out there about them!

Regarding the above gradient aviator model, the lenses are correct. They are from the 70's, before Ray Ban was put on the top corner but they started etching the lenses. They did quite a few models with the etching the opposite way round.

Also on the frame under the nose bridge where if says "B&L 1/10 12K" does it have a "GF" after? Can't quite tell from the pic.

Just viewed your YT videos - really interesting & informative, thank you!
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads