• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mmafia1

Reaction score
Anyone after a pair of Traditionals style C? Tortoiseshell colour.

saepnirg12

Reaction score
In light of eBay's draconian selling restrictions on the brand, what would my best option be for selling two pairs of Traditionals?

benn25

Reaction score
In light of eBay's draconian selling restrictions on the brand, what would my best option be for selling two pairs of Traditionals?

Whats Ebays restrictions on selling the brand. If you have the real deal there should be no problems. Right?

Last edited:

mmafia1

Reaction score
In all honesty ebay are awful for sellers. I've had stuff taken down just because they think it's not right, and you can't argue anything back. It's just their word and no matter how much you know, you can't appeal against it.

If you list things well, and show all details, as long as some idiot doesn't report it for no reason, or one of their "experts" doesn't pick up in anything then you should be ok.

saepnirg12

Reaction score
Whats Ebays restrictions on selling the brand. If you have the real deal there should be no problems. Right?

In all honesty ebay are awful for sellers. I've had stuff taken down just because they think it's not right, and you can't argue anything back. It's just their word and no matter how much you know, you can't appeal against it.

If you list things well, and show all details, as long as some idiot doesn't report it for no reason, or one of their "experts" doesn't pick up in anything then you should be ok.

eBay does not even allow me to list the brand despite my being a member since 2004 and with an established buying/selling record.

crovot

Reaction score
smile.gif

Last edited:

nicrom919

Reaction score
Hi there. Hopefully you can help me out. I found these sunglasses in a box of junk that I won at an auction. They are black and blue striped. Wayfarer II B&L Ray-Ban USA. See pictures for details. When I put them on, they seem to be prescription?? There is no engraving on the lenses. They also lean forward a bit when you wear them...which it seems they are supposed to do. They weigh 1.4 oz. The widest part of the lens is about 5.5 cm. The length of the glasses from the top is a little under 6 inches. Let me know if you need any more info. I'm curious if these are real and also what they are worth. Thank you! :) -Nicole

benn25

Reaction score
Hi mate. Welcome to the board.

The frame is from the Street Neat Wayfarer 2 Collection. The lenses are px as you said, so therefore not original, as the originals have BL marked. They look genuine as all the right marks are there for the frame. They're not really worth much anymore as you dont have the original lenses in them and theyre px, but an educated guess would be in the region of $10-$20/ £5-£12. Hope this helps.

nicrom919

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Am I allowed to list them on ebay as long as I am descriptive that the lenses aren't original?

Dr Who

Reaction score
Dear Expert:
I have some questions for you...
Do you know if there are any sets of the original Ray Ban Aviators? I do not mean the ones that were mass-marketed, I am referring to the ones made in the first production (maybe in 1937?) - the ones that were given to the military before the public was allowed to purchase the glasses.
Have you ever seen a pair of these original production sunglasses? Are there any specific characteristics which someone could use to help identify a pair made in the first line production? Would there be hallmarks on the frames? What would the hinge joints look like?
The reason I am asking is that I know the first patents that were issued were the ones issued for the lenses, as they had that rather special coating and crystal/optical quality glass - would glasses from the first line of production have a specific shape, etc.?
Any answers you can give would be appreciated.
- Dr. Who

benn25

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Am I allowed to list them on ebay as long as I am descriptive that the lenses aren't original?
Absolutely! Put up all the pics like you have on here and as you say include the fact they are PX. Alot of people also include the following:

"These are Px lenses, so you will need to change them to suit"....or something along those lines.

Good luck and no worries.

benn25

Reaction score
Dear Expert:
I have some questions for you...
1) Do you know if there are any sets of the original Ray Ban Aviators? I do not mean the ones that were mass-marketed, I am referring to the ones made in the first production (maybe in 1937?) - the ones that were given to the military before the public was allowed to purchase the glasses.
2) Have you ever seen a pair of these original production sunglasses? 3) Are there any specific characteristics which someone could use to help identify a pair made in the first line production? 4) Would there be hallmarks on the frames? 5) What would the hinge joints look like?
The reason I am asking is that I know the first patents that were issued were the ones issued for the lenses, as they had that rather special coating and crystal/optical quality glass - 6) would glasses from the first line of production have a specific shape, etc.?
Any answers you can give would be appreciated.
- Dr. Who
1) AN6531
2) Yes
3) They come with ear wraps & smaller sweat bar. Shade green lenses. Silver frame. Bausch & Lomb impressed at the bottom of the nose bridge. Nose pads are made from bakelite (brownish colouring).
4) See above
5) Hinges are exactly the same as all Aviators pre 99. Screws are flat and flush. Indicitive of all B&L aviator hinges.
6) Lenses are less teardrop than latter versions, but still teardrop. Lenses measure approx. 2.25" x 1.88". No markings on lenses. Sometimes you will get B&L Ful Vue impressed on the frame.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Dr Who

Reaction score
Dear Expert:
Yes, it did help. Thank you very much - I may have some more questions for you about how to identify those frames, but I really appreciate your response. You are the first person who has given me some honest answers.
- Dr. Who

Reece Fu

Reaction score
hello,
I was wondering if i sent some pictures of my two pairs of ray ban sunglasses if you could appraise them for me? thank you!

WWII vintage 1940's Ray Ban Aviator Clip On Sunglasses, Made in USA, Green Lens, Gold Plated Rims, Secure Hooks, Spring Top, B & L 50 engraved underneath bridge and
Vintage (1940′s) 1950′s B&L Ray Ban Sunglasses 1/10 12k GF engraved on top of bridge

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads