• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralpha

Reaction score
Hi to everyone ;)
I know what you are thinking about, at first time i thought immediately they are fake but in a second time, touching them and comparing to my vintage ray bans i can assure quality is the same. Lenses are replaced with prescription lenses unfortunately, i found them in a very old box with original wayfarer vintage case.
What do you think? Is it possible there is a vintage wayfarer without b&l logos or it is a well done fake?
Thanks in advance :)

20181008_091027.jpg

20181008_090944.jpg

20181008_090951.jpg

20181008_091015.jpg

Ralpha

Reaction score
Hi to everyone ;)
I know what you are thinking about, at first time i thought immediately they are fake but in a second time, touching them and comparing to my vintage ray bans i can assure quality is the same. Lenses are replaced with prescription lenses unfortunately, i found them in a very old box with original wayfarer vintage case.
What do you think? Is it possible there is a vintage wayfarer without b&l logos or it is a well done fake?

View attachment 1048577

View attachment 1048578

View attachment 1048579

View attachment 1048580
UP!

kurtovic

Reaction score
hello everyone. I imagine that nose pads are not the same for all vintage ray ban aviator models. For example, in diamond hard and chromax is the wider side facing the way up and with other my models the wider side is facing down. do you know something about it?

https://vintagerayban.wordpress.com/

Last edited:

Benefac

Reaction score
I am a self proclaimed expert on Bausch and Lomb aka Vintage Ray Bans. I have a degree in Vintage Ray Ban Eyewear, if you need help or have a question this is the place to get answers. I also buy them if you have a pair or more you want to sell. Cheers.
Hi! I wonder if you can tell me what these are?
1.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Ralpha

Reaction score
Hi to everyone ;)

View attachment 1048577

View attachment 1048578

View attachment 1048579

View attachment 1048580
Up, please

UDP

Reaction score
I am a self proclaimed expert on Bausch and Lomb aka Vintage Ray Bans. I have a degree in Vintage Ray Ban Eyewear, if you need help or have a question this is the place to get answers. I also buy them if you have a pair or more you want to sell. Cheers.

Hello, not sure if you still post on here or privately contact the people that are seeking information, but I might as well post what I have and hope for the best. So I found this pair of aviators in the case at a big thrift store believe it or not, it was among the other junk, hats, glasses, shoes, etc.. and when I picked these up inside the case I kind of thought... nah, really? So after I opened it obviously I realized I should probably grab these up with the rest of the crap I had in tow and scoot out the store. Needless to say I hadn't quite seen before a pair such as these and figured that this had to be the real thing. I do believe these are 100% genuine and have tried to do what research/confirmation online I could, but only to some avail.

I know that these are classic aviators and are possibly unique because of the cable ends on them and that they could be military aviators, but possibly not? because they have the green-type of lenses and not yellow or black. They also have the B&L on the inside of the pinkish orangeish color (or whatever color/material it is) of the nose rests. They have the RAY-BAN markings on the top of the bridge, but they only say RAY-BAN and not RAY BAN USA that people keep mentioning. Underneath they do have the B&L 1/10 12K GF inscription. So obviously what im wondering, to anyone out there,..Why does this pair have cable ends instead of the typical ends that I see on most vintage pairs for sale online? Did some people just order them that way as an upgrade of sorts? Also, of course, why does this pair say RAY-BAN and not the RAY BAN USA and what year did that change? I have seen on some 1950s (early 1950s?) pairs that DO only say RAY-BAN, so that leads me to believe they are 1937-1950s(latest). Any honest and helpful answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

10.JPG
11.JPG

fixed.jpg

mmafia1

Reaction score
Hello, not sure if you still post on here or privately contact the people that are seeking information, but I might as well post what I have and hope for the best. So I found this pair of aviators in the case at a big thrift store believe it or not, it was among the other junk, hats, glasses, shoes, etc.. and when I picked these up inside the case I kind of thought... nah, really? So after I opened it obviously I realized I should probably grab these up with the rest of the crap I had in tow and scoot out the store. Needless to say I hadn't quite seen before a pair such as these and figured that this had to be the real thing. I do believe these are 100% genuine and have tried to do what research/confirmation online I could, but only to some avail.

I know that these are classic aviators and are possibly unique because of the cable ends on them and that they could be military aviators, but possibly not? because they have the green-type of lenses and not yellow or black. They also have the B&L on the inside of the pinkish orangeish color (or whatever color/material it is) of the nose rests. They have the RAY-BAN markings on the top of the bridge, but they only say RAY-BAN and not RAY BAN USA that people keep mentioning. Underneath they do have the B&L 1/10 12K GF inscription. So obviously what im wondering, to anyone out there,..Why does this pair have cable ends instead of the typical ends that I see on most vintage pairs for sale online? Did some people just order them that way as an upgrade of sorts? Also, of course, why does this pair say RAY-BAN and not the RAY BAN USA and what year did that change? I have seen on some 1950s (early 1950s?) pairs that DO only say RAY-BAN, so that leads me to believe they are 1937-1950s(latest). Any honest and helpful answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

View attachment 1070793 View attachment 1070794

View attachment 1070795

Basically, exactly as you suspect. Some had cable, some not, was a choice you could make. Cable sometimes are more desirable, especially if in good condition.

The Ray Ban stamp on top, again, you’re pretty spot on. The dates are somewhat debatable, but the dates you gave are roughly correct.

What size are they? 52mm or 58?
Very desirable pair in the US, especially with case in good condition, and if 58mm!

kurtovic

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm getting the frame of vintage Ray Ban and in my opinion it's original. Weld is good and everything else. The top of the nose bridge is impressed by the B & L Ray-Ban USA LIC while the bottom of the bridge does not write anything, and one ear pad is impressed 62 16. I care about this unusual size 62 16. I would like your opinion. thank you

IMG_9799 copy.jpg IMG_9804 copy.jpg IMG_9796 copy.jpg IMG_9798 copy.jpg IMG_9801 copy.jpg IMG_9802 copy.jpg

kurtovic

Reaction score
Greetings to the older members. I would have a few questions. How many glasses are needed to become a vintage Ray Ban Aviator collector? Where is the limit that determines when a man is a collector? Is the quantity or quality more important? Perhaps more important is the desire of a man to declare himself as a collector than the actual size of his collection.

Last edited:

Clarke

Reaction score
7D7914CC-506A-443F-BDCD-DBE22A9620EE.jpeg
0B454B70-5C6D-4761-9150-BF0AE908BC1A.jpeg
A5882624-A304-423F-A199-005A128CBFF9.jpeg
897DD786-CC24-46EE-A0C8-747B24755717.jpeg
Hi new here and seeking help with my new to me very fashionable sunglasses. My sister gave me these ray-bans they belonged to my brother-in-law he passed last year and they were packed away in a box in his closet. The condition is really great, the nose pieces and ear guards are excellent, I do not see any scratches on the lenses and the mirror surface is perfect by my 65 year old eyes. The frame is also near perfect, the case shows ware consistent with spending its life packed away in a drawer and the inside is clean except for some hand written number/letter code and price marked for $16.95 also hand written it would seem by the retailer. Rough measurement of one lense across is 52mm and they look to be around 4.5” across. I’m wondering what the year of manufacture and approximate value and any thing else helpful I might need to know.
Thanks Clark

The markings are, across top of bridge; “RAY-BAN” and the other side says b&l 1/10 12k gf

RyanL31

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. Just picked these up in the steel case. They’re old and say b&l 12k on a bunch of places. Any idea the age and value? They’re in perfect shape too! Thanks for helping

06AB3249-0F03-4168-BA34-D7DCA7A3E92F.jpeg

94E4FFAC-F945-4C68-A705-1B22382A7A34.jpeg

18E0C70A-CE6C-44EB-AC55-12CA9EAC9F02.jpeg

8B60A9BC-713B-4DE6-9A36-9B2FD8EE7248.jpeg

RyanL31

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. Thrifted these today for a very low number...any idea of value? They came with the steel case and are in perfect shape (not a scratch on the lenses). They say b&l 12k on a bunch of places. Thanks for looking, from what I’ve found they’re WWII era

1F1E957D-6AF2-43C9-BD34-914E2F2A273F.jpeg

2E83D052-D20F-4C23-AD71-E9D67FDAA0EB.jpeg

7E5EF138-E784-4C05-B979-5C199E7C521C.jpeg

A8C13E6A-E28B-418C-A604-5B86E118C2E3.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads