1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. prolonga

prolonga New Member

Hi all.
    I'm from Italy and I'm here for a little help. I lost my vintage Shooter (early 70s) and I am on the market for a "new" pair.
    Pls, do you think these glasses are genuine or fake? Are sold as 1972 (Shooter 62mm model)
    Tks

20180728_124426.jpg

20180728_124448.jpg

20180728_124509.jpg

20180728_124526.jpg

20180728_124545.jpg

2. oosterling

oosterling Senior Member

3. prolonga

prolonga New Member

Thank you, oosterling

4. _hank

_hank New Member

Hi there. Are these authentic raybans or knock-off? I've found these caravans on ebay. There're no engravings B&L Ray-Ban USA on the bridge but the lenses have B&L letters.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

5. prolonga

prolonga New Member

6. Robbie de Boer

Robbie de Boer New Member

I'm looking for the name of this Ray Ban model. I think these are ladies sunglasses. They have real glass, mirrored, etched with BL.
    So what was this model called? And when was it introduced? Thanks so much if anyone can help.
    BTW: I have named the sunglasses Side Street in the album, but that is probably not correct.

7. Rolfusa

Rolfusa New Member

I have several aviator frames, they all are 58 ambermatic B&L, I try to refurbish them with new ambermatic lenses, screws and earpieces, so far no luck to find a repair place, even harder to find the ambermatic lenses, any help out there

8. Rolfusa

Rolfusa New Member

How much

9. quneur

quneur New Member

Hi, new member here. I found a pair of The General ray bans. Everything seems to be correct but it does not have the model number on the temple ear piece. I can't sell it until I can verify its not a fake (I can't wear it due I wear prescriptions and modifying it would be heretical). IT has quite a bit corrosion throughout but still very interesting.

20180806_183826.jpg

20180806_184205.jpg

20180806_183911.jpg

20180806_183955.jpg

10. BLRayBan

BLRayBan New Member

Hello everyone!

I recently had an opportunity to acquire a very large vintage B&L Ray Ban Lens lot.

Anyone know what these 52mm lenses are called?

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

11. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior Member

Yep all real. Not all models had the model number stamped in the ear piece.

12. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior Member

RB3 top gradient mirror.

13. Bosa

Bosa New Member

Hello wondered if you could help me identify my ray bans, they are wayfarers, have BL etched on both lenses but not sure on the numbers, would like to gauge a year if possible? Il add some pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

14. ice55

ice55 New Member

Hello,
    I have a question about a pair of ray ban aviator. Some weeks ago I bought a pair of 70's aviator RB-3 lenses NOS. They were in their original cellophane envelope still to be opened, with inside the lite brown case and paper. They are engraved BL Ray Ban USA on the browbar and the lenses are etched with BL (in 4 parts) at 12. None engraving underneath and this looked quite strange for me. Somebody told me this means that the frame colour (gold plated?) is more thinner and easy to be scratched than those with browbar engraved underneath with the glasses size.
    What is your opinion?
    Thank you in advance for your answer.
    F.

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

15. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

Hi Gents,

I recently acquired a pair of vintage pair of 90s BL Ray Ban aviators that I wanted to get your opinion on. They came with the original BL etched lenses that are the same color as the stock lenses for my RB 3026 Aviators. I recently ordered some new polarized lenses for my 3026 because the lenses were pretty scratched. Now I’d like to use them on my vintage frames.

My question is, what sort of lenses came stock on these back in the 90s? It’s very clear that the BL lenses are 1.5 to 2x as thick as the other lenses. Would it be an upgrade to put the polarized lenses in?

Thanks!