• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abellaa

Reaction score
Benn25 thank you but that's not them they r similar though

benn25

Reaction score
Benn25 thank you but that's not them they r similar though
They're definitely olympians abellaa. Its the only ray ban style where the front frame is separate from the lens and goes past the lens. Maybe not mark 3 but i guarantee you they're olympians. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

alanmh999

Reaction score
I have just come across a pair of vintage ray bans.

After having a general search round, they look identical to the John Lennon Ray Ban Arista style. They are exactly the same shape and style but there are a couple of points that interest me. 1. the lenses have BL etched at the hinge and also at the 12 o'clock position as well, so each lens has two BL's. 2. They are gold with a fine inlay of tortoiseshell around the rims with a crimple effect edge but l cannot find any model number on the ear stalk. At first l thought perhaps the arms had been changed but on closer inspection the arms match the rims so perhaps the plastic ear stalks have been changed? or is there another explanation. They also display B&L RAY-BAN USA. on the inside of the bridge.

alanmh999

Reaction score
whats the reason/purpose for the double etched BL and when did model numbers become regularly stamped on ear stalks?

benn25

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures alanmh999?

I believe some of the older models simply didnt have model numbers inscribed, because the normal place to add them wasnt suitable, for instance not wide enough arms. Circa late 1970s, B&L Ray-Ban began experimenting with putting model numbers on the frame to help protect against counterfeits. To find out the model number you would either have to have the dealer catalogue for that model or happen to have a magazine that was advertising them with a model number.

The 2 etchings I have no clue. Sorry.

Last edited:

benn25

Reaction score
when you click 'reply' there is a square with a mountain and sun picture at the top of the reply box. click on there and then either click on the 'upload files' box which then you can upload from your computer or copy and paste the url into the 'an image url' box which you can get from an image hosting site that you've uploaded the pics onto. Hope this helps

janjanelf24

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would just like some help.
Just like to know if this rayban that I have dug from the treasure chest (lol) is authentic.
There's as Ray Ban word on the right lens and BL letters on both lenses near the outer part.
On the upper bridge there's B & L RAYBAN and BL on the nose piece.
Thanks everyone

zachalfs

Reaction score
Hi! I have a pair of Ray Ban's that are quite odd and I cannot seem to find them online anywhere. Help would be appreciated!
Here is a picture:

benn25

Reaction score
Hi! I have a pair of Ray Ban's that are quite odd and I cannot seem to find them online anywhere. Help would be appreciated!
Here is a picture:
Looks like Fashion Metal Series.

zachalfs

Reaction score
Would I be able to sell them?
They have very minor scratches on the lenses and a bit of damage on the frame.

benn25

Reaction score
Would I be able to sell them?
They have very minor scratches on the lenses and a bit of damage on the frame.

Yea definitely. They're not as in demand as say wayfarers or aviators but it has a value like everything it depends on what people are prepared to pay. UK price i would say anything between £30 and £50 dependent on damage, if you have original case, cleaning cloth, etc. Thats a conservative guide price as prices tend to vary. You may get more. Their may be some collectors out there who want it or someone who likes that style and are prepared to go all out to purchase it. Good luck if you decide to sell.

Last edited:

booboochelsea56

Reaction score
Hello my name is Mary I have a pair of B & L ray ban gatsby style sunglasses
model W1523 in excellent condition. Can you tell me what you think they are
worth I am thinking of selling.
Thank you

benn25

Reaction score
Hello my name is Mary I have a pair of B & L ray ban gatsby style sunglasses
model W1523 in excellent condition. Can you tell me what you think they are
worth I am thinking of selling.
Thank you

Conservative estimate I would say between £60 and £90 dependent on condition, case, etc etc for a used pair. Nice model from B&L. If you decide to sell send me a message as Id be very interested in purchasing. Hope this helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads