Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. abellaa

abellaa New Member

Benn25 thank you but that's not them they r similar though

2. benn25

benn25 Senior member

They're definitely olympians abellaa. Its the only ray ban style where the front frame is separate from the lens and goes past the lens. Maybe not mark 3 but i guarantee you they're olympians. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  3. alanmh999

alanmh999 New Member

I have just come across a pair of vintage ray bans.

After having a general search round, they look identical to the John Lennon Ray Ban Arista style. They are exactly the same shape and style but there are a couple of points that interest me. 1. the lenses have BL etched at the hinge and also at the 12 o'clock position as well, so each lens has two BL's. 2. They are gold with a fine inlay of tortoiseshell around the rims with a crimple effect edge but l cannot find any model number on the ear stalk. At first l thought perhaps the arms had been changed but on closer inspection the arms match the rims so perhaps the plastic ear stalks have been changed? or is there another explanation. They also display B&L RAY-BAN USA. on the inside of the bridge.

4. benn25

benn25 Senior member

5. alanmh999

alanmh999 New Member

whats the reason/purpose for the double etched BL and when did model numbers become regularly stamped on ear stalks?

6. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Do you have any pictures alanmh999?

I believe some of the older models simply didnt have model numbers inscribed, because the normal place to add them wasnt suitable, for instance not wide enough arms. Circa late 1970s, B&L Ray-Ban began experimenting with putting model numbers on the frame to help protect against counterfeits. To find out the model number you would either have to have the dealer catalogue for that model or happen to have a magazine that was advertising them with a model number.

The 2 etchings I have no clue. Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  7. alanmh999

alanmh999 New Member

yes, l have some photos but cant work out how to attach them.

8. benn25

benn25 Senior member

when you click 'reply' there is a square with a mountain and sun picture at the top of the reply box. click on there and then either click on the 'upload files' box which then you can upload from your computer or copy and paste the url into the 'an image url' box which you can get from an image hosting site that you've uploaded the pics onto. Hope this helps

9. janjanelf24

janjanelf24 New Member

Hi guys,

I would just like some help.
    Just like to know if this rayban that I have dug from the treasure chest (lol) is authentic.
    There's as Ray Ban word on the right lens and BL letters on both lenses near the outer part.
    On the upper bridge there's B & L RAYBAN and BL on the nose piece.
    Thanks everyone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. zachalfs

zachalfs New Member

Hi! I have a pair of Ray Ban's that are quite odd and I cannot seem to find them online anywhere. Help would be appreciated!
    Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

11. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Looks like Fashion Metal Series.

12. zachalfs

zachalfs New Member

Would I be able to sell them?
    They have very minor scratches on the lenses and a bit of damage on the frame.

13. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Yea definitely. They're not as in demand as say wayfarers or aviators but it has a value like everything it depends on what people are prepared to pay. UK price i would say anything between £30 and £50 dependent on damage, if you have original case, cleaning cloth, etc. Thats a conservative guide price as prices tend to vary. You may get more. Their may be some collectors out there who want it or someone who likes that style and are prepared to go all out to purchase it. Good luck if you decide to sell.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  14. booboochelsea56

booboochelsea56 New Member

Hello my name is Mary I have a pair of B & L ray ban gatsby style sunglasses
    model W1523 in excellent condition. Can you tell me what you think they are
    worth I am thinking of selling.
    Thank you

15. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Conservative estimate I would say between £60 and £90 dependent on condition, case, etc etc for a used pair. Nice model from B&L. If you decide to sell send me a message as Id be very interested in purchasing. Hope this helps.