1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. Jesse Butkus

Jesse Butkus New Member

Hi Musehead.

I have a pair of B&L Ray Ban Gatsby Style 8s that are a 9.5 out of 10 for condition. NO lens damage at all... very fine scratches along the arms from fingers or case perhaps (either way almost invisible). I'm looking to sell the but have no idea about their worth. I see them on ebay from 299 to 499. Mine are pristine i would say. Just reaching out for any advice. I'm not far from NYC or Boston. Let me know what you think.

Warm Regards,

Jesse

2. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Going by your pic Stan they look like Sidestreets to me. Unsure of model number without further pictures. Is there anything impressed on the ear stalks? I also doubt they're 70's due to the marking on the lens. The frame looks more 90's onwards rather than 80s, which would be in line with Sidestreet production. Im also unsure whether Sidestreet frames were made in Italy as Ive never seen one with Frame Italy on it. My gut says no but I could be wrong. Also the black hard case in the picture is not the original case that comes with Sidestreet models. I might be wrong but I believe the case in the picture is a Luxottica case and not vintage B&L. Possibly for their prescription glasses? However, this is all based on the one picture you've downloaded. Without further pics unfortunately cant give you anymore info. Sorry. Hope this helps though.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  3. Jesse Butkus

Jesse Butkus New Member

These are some photos of the glasses in my previous post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Nice example and nice case with it too. I cant see you getting $500 for them but you may well get the lower estimate you mentioned. Personally I wouldnt put them on ebay as you'll probably wouldnt get anything close to the $299. But you never know!
    Personally if you want that kind of money or more a vintage sunglasses shop/online may be your best best as they sell them for higher figures. Or just keep them. Not many of those around, especially in so-called pristine condition. However Im basing my advice on my own personal experience and Im from the UK.

Good luck!

5. Stan King

Stan King New Member

Benn thanks for the info and it certainly looks like a pair of Sidestreets but stamped B & L. Definitely bought in the period stated and with the case from George Henry Lees (wife says so who I am I to contradict . I have attached further photos for your use.

Thanks again

stan

6. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the photos of your W2961 sunglasses. Ive done some research and I apologise, but your wife is right. They are c 1980's.

They are definitely Sidestreet, but I couldnt find any info for that particular model so I searched for the models prior and after which are W2960 and W2962 as they would be part of the same 'family'. Both of which are Sidestreet models.

I must admit though I thought all Sidestreets were c. 90s, but Im happy to be proved wrong for the correct info. So if the case is the original case that would also put that design of a case in that period too, which is also a surprise. All Sidestreet models Ive seen come with a black soft case with white writing on it, which in my opinion must be the 90s versions. However, once again I may be wrong on this.

It seems you have a rare pair of glasses right there as not many if any are coming up at all in my search. I did think that maybe it could be a model that was brought out in the midst of the takeover as there is a model called RB3009 W2961 Ive seen which is a Luxottica code with B&L lenses. Plus yours has Italy written on it. But going off the basis of that W2960 is c. 80's and even W2966 is c. 80/90s and your wife bought them in the 80s we can probably safely say they are a late 1980's model.

The fact the glasses have Ray Ban written on the lens means they are post 1983 and the fact they are impressed on the ear stalk means they are mid to late 80's. This was another attempt by B&L to reduce counterfeiting.

Hope this helps Stan

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  7. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Hello folks, got these in the post today. Very excited and pleased with myself. Will be putting them up on Youtube later. They're called 'Caribbean' in golden plaid. They are in my top 3....scrap that...top 2 of rare B&L sunglasses. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Stan King

Stan King New Member

Benn

Thanks for the information - it is much appreciated. Just found BL etching on left lens.

Most of the info.seems to fit although they must have been purchased before 1985 if not 1983 because we had no money then to spend on any sort of luxuries.

Will look to see if we have any receipts in the loft to provide further info. Will let you know if I find anything. The next decision is what to do with them!

Thanks again.

Stan

9. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Hi Stan,

Wow if you could find the receipt after all these years that would be a find and a half and extremely extremely useful. Alot of the research and info out, specifically production dates is reasonable guesswork taken from other collectors and media info like old adverts, etc.
    Unfortunately there's no definitive list of exactly when things were done.
    Going by your information, we could possibly, finally, nail down a year for when codings were introduced onto the ear stalks, being that you could have a very early example if we are basing your info as bonified which the receipt would prove. Instead of an approximation of circa mid 80's, we'd have proof at least that there is a chance they introduced these codings before then.
    I cross my fingers you find the receipt. Happy hunting my friend, happy hunting. [​IMG]

Keep them Stan. If you could find the receipt that would add provenance, which is ALWAYS a good thing. As I said theres not many out there as we speak today and there must be a reason for that, however, that doesnt necessarily mean they're worth a pot load of gold. So its even difficult to put a price to them. I think if you decide to sell, it will be down to how much the buyer really wants it, whether they're collector(s) or just someone looking for a pair of shades, the latter being the most likely. So luck is going to play a big role in this in my view. Which means they could be worth £20 but then again could be worth £100. But I really dont have a clue.

Stay in touch if you ever find the receipt as I would be very interested in what you come up with and good luck! [​IMG]

10. vavvy

vavvy New Member

Hello, I want to ask for help on two glasses ray-ban. A couple is a b & l outdoorsman precius metal black gold. They were my grandfather I found them recently. They are in excellent condition, and I would like to sell them.Forgive my incorrect English but I'm Italian! You can help me and give me an opinion about them?[​IMG]

11. becks123

becks123 Member

Hi,

I have my dad's old ray ban aviator's with green lenses that i think he bought in the late 80's or early 90's but i don't know if they're real or fake so i would try to find out with your expert help.They have an engraved stamp on the upper and lower side of the nose bridge, on the upper side it says B&L RAY-BAN USA and on the bottom it says B&L RAY-BAN 58[]14. There is a ray ban logo on the face of the right lens, the logo is white and crisp and it hasn't peeled. The B&L logo is visible on BOTH lenses next to the hinges. The B&L logo is also visible on both nose pieces as well. I've read a few websites and they say that real ray ban's have the model number and other information on the left arm of the sunglasses, however mine do not have this, does this mean that they're fake or is the model number and other information a new addition on the left arm of the sunglasses? The temple hinges are NOT attached with phillips screw head screws, instead they're attached with normal screws. Unfortunately i don't have the original case as the sunglasses are old. I would really appreciate it if anybody could help so i could find out if they're real or fake.

Thanks,

Alex
    [​IMG]

12. becks123

becks123 Member

Here are a few pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Hi Alex,

By your description they sound like they are the real deal. Some of the aviators wont have model numbers as B&L introduced these in the 80s. So they introduced the Ray Ban logo to the lens first and then they added model numbers to the ear stalks afterwards and then changed their model number coding after that again. Whether they changed model numbers for Aviators I dont know, but we digress as you dont have any model numbers. [​IMG]

Also the ear stalks can be changed as they are just plastic. So they could of had a code on them at one time and then changed due to breakage or deterioration, people chomping on it, etc.

In my view if they were fake, which by your description, I dont think they are, they are very good fakes, for the simple fact that they even have the BL inscription on the nose pad. So theyve even bothered to go all out to either inscribe the metal section of the nose pad or gone and found nose pads with the inscription. Alot of work, time and effort in my view to be fake.

In terms of the screws, you will need to download a much larger picture, so we can have a better look. But you've got to remember these are vintage and screws do get changed over time. However, they should have flat head screws in them rather than philips. I have a few pairs of aviators all from different eras, all with flat head, so I would say this is the norm. If you require a definitive answer for the screws though I suggest you send 'mmafia1' a message and see what he says as he's the aviator expert on here.

Hope this helps

14. becks123

becks123 Member

The screws are flat headed! I've had to tighten them a few times because they were getting loose.

15. becks123

becks123 Member

Sorry about the quality [​IMG]

16. benn25

benn25 Senior member

Looks like the proper screws to me. As long as they are flush to the top of the hinge, looks like the real deal. Hinge is the correct shape and so is the end of the temple arm which protrudes from it. If you're having to tighten all the time, i suggest you get them changed out and new ones put in as its defecting. If you're UK then a company called 'eyewear rescue' might be a good shout to see what they can do or any other company who do repairs. Your local optician maybe able to help aswell. [​IMG]

17. becks123

becks123 Member

Thanks for the advice I'll check them out. The screws are flush to the top of the hinge as well so that suggests that they are real which is great to hear!!!

18. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

ls,

can anyone tell me if this is a genuine Ray Ban?
    it has no ray ban logo on the glasses, neither it has BL on the glasses. BL is on the nose pads and also under the bridge it states: B&L 58 () 14 USA (not sure if its that order and the brackets are straight, just dont know how to type them on an azertykeyboard)
    they come in an original rayban ambermatic cover as they are ambermatic.

im guessing theyre end 70s or 1980. im just not sure because of the blue coating as i didnt find anythingon that on te internet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    someone any idea?

thanks in advance
    Peter

19. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

ps its more blue then lila [​IMG]

20. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

whats actually the rarest / most collectable / valuable rayban there is?
    the general or leathers or fantasees or precious metal or flying colors (as i. just found out what mines are on the post above) or ... whats more out there??