1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

What's the vintage B&L model number equivalent to the current production Clubmaster RB3016? Is it worth it to go vintage on this one? Thanks!

2. bhead

bhead New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone help with the model name/number of these glasses. All appear genuine and the bridge marking all seem correct. The underside is marked B&L Ray-Ban 59[]16. The lenses have the B&L etching. The case has a genuine US warranty card with a 1992 date (sorry not true vintage). They were given to me with no info in it. They are quite heavy. Apart from the pear lens shape seem to share much with the Aviator model. So far no joy with finding info. Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

Ray-Ban W1081 Fashion Metals Style I, also called tea cups if im right

4. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

W0365 Clubmaster arista ebony G15
    W0366 Clubmaster arista mock tortoise G15

W2052 Clubmaster arista mock tortoise B20 Chromax

W1115 Clubmaster arista ebony G15
    W1116 Clubmaster arista mock tortoise G15
    W1117 Clubmaster arista blond tortoise G15

defintely worth going vintage. BL Ray Ban are cool!

5. squareworld66

squareworld66 New Member

[​IMG]

Hello I got this pair or ray ban and would like to know if they are original and also for how much they would go? I think probably are from late 60's? early 70's? thank you

6. squareworld66

squareworld66 New Member

Here more photos, anybody can help me? thank you!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

Yeah theyre original, i got the exact same model.
    Model is called Benji as you can read on the imside of the temple. Theyre somewhere mid 70s.
    There were different variations.
    Not worth a lot, i expect max 60€ as theyre not so collectable.
    I really like them though, wear them regularly

https://www.rayban-bl.com/non-aviators/benji/mother-of-pearl/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  8. Maur Dinu

Maur Dinu New Member

@musehead ,need a little help ; i searched the net and emailed RB asking if the size lens of W2575 and W2574 are the same ( i found replacement lens for the first ,but i have W2574 ) .Now i found out there's even a W2577 :)

9. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

I'm finding next to nothing online about these "Lebeau" model B&L Ray Bans I found. Anyone have any info on them? Made in Italy, b&l etching on both lenses.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

In an optician they can heat the frame and bent it slightly. Basically the same as current wayfarers

11. capttom

capttom New Member

12. capttom

capttom New Member

Hi musehead a while ago my brother bought me a pair of original ray ban wayfarer square unfortunately I left them in a public restroom and when realized it they were already gone would you happen to know where i could find another pair
    Thank you Tom

13. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

Musehead hasnt been on this forum since fire was invited.
    My best advise would be ebay

14. rightstripes

rightstripes New Member

Hello everyone!
    Can you help me identify the year of these pair of sunglasses?
    Are they real?
    What is a good quotation?

I've found them in a box full of vintage ray-ban in an old shop of my father in law. They are all in sealed plastic boxes. This is a Large Metal Aviator Ray-Ban Bausch & Lomb 6A9907 L4078 14mm with photosun gray lenses (photochromic). There is no brand on the lenses and there is only written on the bridge "B&L Ray-Ban U.S.A."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance for your help!

15. MichaelUk808

MichaelUk808 Member

16. MichaelUk808

MichaelUk808 Member

17. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

Hi, welcome to the forum. Yes they seem to be authentic. Only thing what is really weird is that there is no logo on the case. So strange. They must be early 70s. Value is hard to say. It really can vary a lot. But for a pair like this is expect between 60-100$

18. rangeman

rangeman Member

19. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

Hi And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for posting this question here as there is a lot to say about this particular pair as well as its seller.

First thing though i wanna mention is that the link you posted doesnt redirect to the actual item, at least not for me.
    Therefor ill post the ebay item number again:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/311835190890

[​IMG]

You question is rightful. As some might know precious metals came with ultragradient lenses, which are lightweight (1.8 mm thick, instead of the standard 2.2 mm) photochromatic lenses. Other characteristics are the grandient shading of the lens, top darker than bottom, amd rhe light mirror coating applied on the back of the lens. PM came with either UG grey or UG beige lenses.
    So yes we can say that the mounted lenses on this pair, B15 tgm, are definitely not original in this pair. Also note that B15 lenses are NOT photochromatic, although in the description it says they are.
    B15 tgm lenses did also appear with a raised logo in some rare occasions, ive seen several though where the logo was added later....

All this said there is more to say. Probably many will overlook it, but PM will have a BL logo on the paddle of the left temple. So we can conclude also the temples are not orignally belonging to the frame neither!

[​IMG]

And than a 3rd item of affection, the case shown on the listing is not the right case that came orignally with a PM, they actually belong to the 50th anniversary model: the General.

So why would a longtime reseller like Edcipo list a pair like this as new old stock as this pair could never have left the factory like this? Edcipo has plenty of experience you should know.
    Obvious this pair is put together from available parts that were laying around.

Than one more thing, $795 is way over priced if you ask me for this pair!
    If youre interested in an authentic pm, contact me, maybe i can help you out!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  20. rangeman

rangeman Member

There is another pair of precious metals series which is genuine as it has the W model number. Oosterling thanks becuase this pair did not seem quite right.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017