1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. masalit

masalit New Member

Hello

I have a pair of vintage w1106 and the screws that hold the nose bridge to the lenses have broken. And one metal wire holding a nose pad has broken off.

Are there replacement parts in the world for this?

Thank you

Aaron[​IMG]

2. Thardin

Thardin Member

Hi Everyone! I am a new member who just subscribed to get a little help.

I am usually an Oakley collector - but was helping my 84 yr old dad clean out his desk and ran across this old pair of RayBan Wayfarers.

They look to be from the 50's or 60's from what little I can find on them on this forum. They are stamped above the right lens 5022 and have only the Bausch and Lomb engraving on the inside of the earpieces. They do not say the name Rayban anywhere, and appear to have the original lenses (which are in very good shape!)

The size of the stems is given in inches: 4 3/4 to 51/2.

Questions:

1. Approximate age?
    2. What do you look at to determine age on this model?
    3. What value range do they fall within?
    4. Is Ebay the best place to sell these?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Tom[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

Be lucky getting 300 for them, more like 100 really. They are nice, but not the most desirable model.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

Sorry spares are a pain in the arse to come by. Normally better off looking for a spares/repairs pair on ebay to take parts from.

5. nieks

nieks New Member

Hello,

Just got these metal Ray Ban sunglasses. Could you please help me to identify them? It seems that there is no marked size anywhere on the frame, just the info on the temple tips. Please see photos.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. gwright

gwright New Member

Hi Professor Ray-Ban,

I recently bought a pair of Bushnell B&L gold wire aviators with black lenses. The case shows "BUSHNELL Division of BAUSCH & LOMB". On the sunglasses, lenses are marked BL and bridge shows "BUSHNELL B&L USA". Can not see any other markings. I've never seen Bausch & Lomb sunglasses that have no 'Ray-Ban' markings. Also, I've never seen a case like this

My questions are: What type of lens are these? Are frames 10k or 12k? Roughly what year were they made? Are they considered valuable?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fida

fida New Member

Hi musehead,

I love rayban and bought a vintage black metal g15 green glass outdoorsman from ebay. Its a genuine rayban with all aspects. My question is there any quality difference with the new Italian Raybans vs vintage American B&L raybans ? It took me almost the same cost like a new Italian Raybans. But I noticed they sometimes cost more than double! Why is that? I can sell it anytime with the same price at evay and get the new one. But I never touched or tried the new one so I couldn't judge both of their qualities head to head. Many says the old ine is still better. What do you advice on this? Please help.

8. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

which ones you expect are worth 300? and youre talking $ or what currency?
    actually only very few models make 300$ and mostly only when they are in very good to NOS condition.
    the most common models will make less than 100$

9. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

both are real. more standard models. the first 5 are from an aviator called outdoorsman. too bad from the oxidation (green) within the brow bar.

second aviator is called large metal. if you want to sell i might be interested in the 2nd one. pm me if you feel like selling

10. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

ray ban w2798 rituals metal cat

11. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

Bushnell bausch & lomb sunglasses are less common, less popular back then, and less popular at this moment.

What type of lens are these? the most common: G15
    Are frames 10k or 12k? i dont think those are gold filled, but if they are it should say so under or on top of the bridge
    Roughly what year were they made? mmmm difficult question as i dont know much about bushnell but i expect around 1980
    Are they considered valuable? bushnell is more a niche market, check on ebay yourself to find out whould be my suggestion

12. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

well to start with, if you paid almost the same as a new luxottica ray ban, youve paid too much as the model is really common.
    the reason why same cost more than doube of new ray ban basically depends on the model and lens type (plus condition) BL ray bans are highly collectible, but as there were so many sold not all the models fetch loads of $$. Most wanted are the aviators and wayfarers if youll ask me. But from both models there are lots of variations and that is where is the differences of value

13. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

I got a pair of B&L Ray Ban aviator sunglasses in a box the auction house and I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding another pair that fits their description exactly search for the ones listed for $1,200 on Vintage sunglasses.com. they have the pearlized General bar, the screws look dead on, the B&L is inscribed on the nose pads but they don't have the rubber coating that they Show in their pictures on the arms. There is however something inscribed on one of the arms that I am unable to see because it is so tiny. Looks like it might say something about frames and France. Before I list them on eBay I'm trying to make sure I know how much they are actually worth. They are an exceptional condition with very few scratches on the green lenses.

14. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

Will need to upload some pictures for us to find out for sure.

15. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

16. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

Deep Freeze? There is also a small suction on one of the arms that has black on it that won't come off period I thought maybe it is remanence of the rubber coating? They were super super dirty and I had to clean them up quite a bit to even see that they were Ray Bans[​IMG]

17. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

They don't look like deep freeze to me really.

Are the lenses gradient? I.e is the top and bottom of the lens mirrored and middle not so? You're right, deep freeze have a coating on the lenses but there being a black mark on one arm I wouldn't say is enough to say there was once a coating.

18. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

@trendforgetter i see you have listed them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-B-L...567832?hash=item3f7678cc98:g:62oAAOSw3v5Ys2j~

seriously? Deep Freeze? why would these be deep freeze? probably one of the most misleading auctions in a while. There is nothing that points to deep freeze models. Do you maybe know what describes a deep freeze model?
    Yours are just an older outdoorsman. Lenses seem to be just the most common G15 lenses, although its hard (impossible) to see with a black background. As for the temples, looking at the shape of the earplieces the seem not to be original but as there are no clear detailed picture also that is hard to say.

I just cant understand that people without further knowledge find an old pair of sunglasses and assame they found the holy grail....

I suggest you rectify your ad.

ps, the screws have been the same for 4 decades...

http://www.vintagesunglassesshop.com/item_vs638.html

for intance. pair on the picture is in bad condition imo, also at least one screw is not original, also the earpieces match the pair, still, frame and lenses are like yours. indicated price on this site is also way to high. no clue what he smokes

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  19. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You're right, it was dumb to think I'd "found the holy grail". I did add a disclosure the other day stating that I had only based my opinion on information and images from Vintage Sunglasses shop.com and that I could not guarantee their authenticity. I'll see if I can add these pictures to the auction to show more detail and let people decide for themselves

20. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

They don't look anything like the Deep Freeze. You were right? Silly me