1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

What is on the other side? The Ray Ban logo or just nothing?

2. TxBigfoot

TxBigfoot New Member

Excuse me for hijacking this but I think my previous post went somewhere wrong and this is active.
    Can anyone tell me anything about these glasses. I see no marks but they are rayban green. My dad gave them to me before he passed and I just found them again.
    Anyone seen any arms? Where would be glass info?
    Thank you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. OptiGod101

OptiGod101 New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I acquired a pair of tortoise shell ray ban baloramas recently and have a couple questions. I myself have worked in optical labs for years and am a master optician.
    My ray ban baloramas have the B&L Ray Ban USA on right temple and Balorama on the left. Those are the only markings on the entire frame. I know the glasses are old and the old man who gave them to me never gets rid of anything and everything he owns is vintage. I looked long and hard for the B&L on the lens and nothing. I do know that the lens markings are not laser etched as everyone thinks or states in a various threads I've seen. They are in fact sand blasted. So given that there's no sign of markings on either frame or lenses except the ones I described I assume they are dated before they stamped those markings. The frame is tortoise shell but its not a vibrant brown like I see in most balorama tortoise colors online. It looks more like a cross between the clear tortoise and brown. I also can't see the markings all wearing off where I couldn't even see part of one so that tells me they are before the frame stamp eyesize and frame model on the earpiece. I couldn't see a fake pair last this long and be in this good of shape. I've also hot the original case and I will inbox a few photos shortly. Thank you and any and all info is appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. zimthewiz

zimthewiz New Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I got these from my dad back when I was in college (pretty much used them extensively). I just found them back in a box.

From what I read (if they are authentic) they should be pre mid 70s (i think my dad got them in the late 60s).

Nothing etched on the lense.

On another note, I stopped wearing them because I lost a nosepad. Any idea where I might find an original one or should I get a new replacement?

Also i need to have the frame redressed, could I just walk in lenscrafter? (Took poorly care of them in my youth)

Thanks for the help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. erit2017

erit2017 New Member

[​IMG]Wondering if anyone has any info on these I got them from my step dad a long time ago he's now passed away[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  6. bvanlent

bvanlent New Member

Hello!

Can you ID the date of a pair of Ray Ban Kalichrome Aviators from the case? I was told by the woman that they were never used by her dad, just sat in a drawer. I attached a JPEG.

Thanks for any help!
    Brian

.[​IMG]

7. doggerel

doggerel Well-Known Member

A very commonly found 62mm G15 lenses on a Large Metal Arista frame.
    Pretty easy to find a replacement pair or parts such as nosepad, except the screws I'd say.
    Just go eBay and search for B&L Ray ban.

8. doggerel

doggerel Well-Known Member

This is a pair of Ambermatic Shooter.
    The Ambermatic lenses change color depending on light and temperature.
    It's a very comfortable lenss.

9. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

The model is called decot.

Sorry i quoted wrongly. These are not decot obviously

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  10. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

These are decot!

11. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

Just noticed the nose bridge is loose on one side, makes the frames more or less worthless. Temples and lenses still have a small value

12. noncomm

noncomm Member

Can someone tell me the story on some old skool ray bans I've got?
    They look just like the new ones they're selling but I think I was right according to some of what I had read on this thread so far .. in terms of the old style ones being better

I have some 2928 ones over here is what I've got and I think they're called an aviator design
    I had just now joined this bbs so I wanted to know if I'll be allowed to post photographs or a gallery host page link or whatever else

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  13. noncomm

noncomm Member

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

I think it's letting me upload pictures already but it didn't go well

14. noncomm

noncomm Member

15. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

In short, ray ban is now owned by the italian brand Luxottica, as it was sold to Luxottica in 1999. Before that ray ban was a brand of the usa company called bausch amd lomb. This forum is only about the bausch and lomb ray ban sunglasses.

16. noncomm

noncomm Member

Ah, yes. I know who they are. I saw that on a post in this thread somewhere that it said lux bought the design but not the lense technology or whatever else it was?
    That would substantiate my initial thought when I saw the new ones and I see "new old stock" being sold
    Who knows on THAT though right?

But lux I have read about..
    They're the glasses cartel. They're like debeers for glasses. I'm aware of who they are!!

Meanwhile I think we're safe because these were purchased mid to lage eighties as far as I am aware

17. bigjay22

bigjay22 New Member

Bought both these raybans at a estate sale. On both has marking on top B&l ray - ban usa and under b&l 1/10 12 kt gf

Not sure if these are fakes.

Please view photos the first 5 are one pair and the other photos are second pair

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. noncomm

noncomm Member

I'm completely new to this and talking out of my ass but I'm going with I'll say that based upon my infinite lack of wisdom and brilliance on this topic

Both are real
    Or
    The ones on the left / The second five are the real ones

But I don't know
    Who knows
    Don't go by me (I honestly mean that I don't know)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  19. noncomm

noncomm Member

Based on my crash course earlier online for whatever all that may be worth and from what I can see I'm sticking with both are real
    Unless I end up being wrong

20. noncomm

noncomm Member

If they're getting 300 for the new fangled ones I think real old skool ones should be worth more. But I bet I'm wrong on that point.
    Does anyone think I'm nuts if I'm thinking they'll bring 100 to 300 on ebay? From what I see on there I'm thinking I'll be right over 200 before all of the horrifying fees and if the buyer doesn't decide to do God knows what

Where are all of the experts? Did they get tired of the 99999999 line thread and leave us or what happened