• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Oxfords?

jjl5000

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of (used) shoes from ebay. The decision to bid was difficult as I already have a modest collection of some 30 pairs of what I consider to be 'reasonably well made' shoes (from Alfred Sargent's to Vass). All my shoes were purchased new and 14 pairs have still to make it on the ends of my feet!

I was however, drawn to this particular pair of shoes due to the colour (a reddish mid brown) and the style; a classic oxford...toe cap with broguing across the cap where it meets the vamp (no medallion on cap or broguing anywhere else on the shoe), swan neck where the vamp meets the quarters and no heel counter. The shoes arrived today and exceeded my expectations in everyway. The condition is almost as new. Wear on the soles suggests the shoes have been worn once and not covered much distance at that.

What prompted this post, is a question I have about the possible age of the shoes. The leather was very dry and a considerable amount of dust had settled on top of the welt. The uppers looked as if the seller had wiped them over with furniture polish as preparation for the sale rather than applying a cream or wax. Whilst this alone is no real indication of age, the stitching on the welt is close. Very close. I have only ever seen as many stitches per inch in a vintage pair of my father's C&J's - which are 'Crockett & Jones Health Brand' which I understand goes back to the 50's? The heel has a leather top lift (no rubber segment) and is protected from excessive wear by metal pins, which run almost the complete circumference of the outer edge. This is also a feature on the old man's vintage C&J's. The sole is channeled but this seems to be the norm for Trickers.

Inside the shoe it says 'Corniche by Trickers'. Is Corniche to Trickers as Handgrade is to C&J or Premier Collection is to Alfred Sargent? Or are Corniche a gentlemen's outfitters placing their own brand alongside the shoemakers much like New & Lingwood?

Now this could be the embarrassing part
shog[1].gif
where someone tells me these shoes are still available today but I just can't help feeling that they are vintage-ish.

The only other details inside the shoe are as follows:

&

W120T (hard to be sure I have read this accurately as the stitching inside the vamp obscures the mark)

Your thoughts Gentlemen, if you please!

pejsek

Reaction score
I've neither seen nor heard of 'Corniche by Trickers', but the shoes sound interesting and--based on your description of the heel--almost certainly vintage. Do you have links to the auction or perhaps some other pictures? You might try taking a look at our very own centipede's excellent site:

http://centipede.web.fc2.com

He has an absolutely amazing collection of vintage bespoke and rtw shoes from the UK.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen these before on ebay. I think Corniche is an outfitter, but that's purely guesswork.

I've got the same problem with shoe and clothing purchases on ebay - tons of good deals, but I've got a ton of unworn items and have decided to impose a moratorium on purchases for the time being. It's not really even a money thing (especially since I tend to resell items that clearly don't fit for a profit), but more of a space issue.....

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
These appear to be much dressier and better made than the current Corniche collection from Tricker's (which is a country collection with "wipe-clean" treated leather). And the style of the writing in the sock leads me to believe they are vintage. Looks like a good deal to me, if they fit you.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
These appear to be much dressier and better made than the current Corniche collection from Tricker's (which is a country collection with "wipe-clean" treated leather). And the style of the writing in the sock leads me to believe they are vintage. Looks like a good deal to me, if they fit you.

They are a great fit for length, a little snug on width but I assume they will give a little anyway.

I took a few more pics...This is my first attempt at posting pics but here goes:

Trickers.jpg

TrickersWeltstitching.jpg

TrickersSole.jpg

epicure1

Reaction score
Corniche by Tricker's was a range during the 1980s and perhaps before. I am currently wearing a pair of black tasselled Corniche slip ons I bought about 1988 in a shoe shop in Bexhill, East Sussex. Corniche did not signify a retailer. It was a range then, as now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads