• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Overcoat can I make this one fit me

Ddohrn

Reaction score
91C38359-4B00-4079-A0C5-44A78E459297.jpeg
856D5246-6582-4313-AE2D-2D90B94A8562.jpeg
I really like this overcoat, but I'am afraid that by taking about 3in off both sleeves and bottom will result in the pockets being out of place. The pockets are patch pockets. I don’t think they can me moved, but don’t know. The coat dates to 1975 or earlier as that’s when Arnold Constable went out of business. Also would need to be slimmed but that should be easy. Sorry for the dark photo. So what do you think? The strange ripples in sleeves are not real but some kind of optical illusion caused by the siding on the house.

Last edited:

Anachronist

Reaction score
How do you intemd to wear the overcoat? Over a jacket or heavy weight sweaters? If yes, this might just work. At present in the picture I suspect you're wearing it just over the shirt and here it appears quite a bit too large, especially around the sleeves (where you however need this room if you want to fit a jacket beneath).
Personally, I think the length you'ved pinned it to still looks just about right and not too much off regarding pocket position (you need them there to properly slip your hands in). I would however have the jacket taken in gently around the waist to give it a more fitted look and remove the "bulky" appearance (make sure a jacket still fits snugly beneath)... then it should turn out to look quite nice! Wish you good luck with this one, it's a lovely overcoat!

NnamAries

Reaction score
You should reduce the sleeves of the coat, one sleeve seem to be longer than the other. If you plan on wearing it outside of a shirt like in the photo, all you need do is reduce it a little bit on both sides and it will be ok. Very nice jacket by the way.

Anachronist

Reaction score
The picture shows sleeve and hem on one side pinned up to the desired or "to be" length

Ddohrn

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Yes I do mean to wear it over a suit. Was definitely worried about the pockets. I really like the coat and the weight and thickness is pretty amazing. So I will stop worrying, and take it to be altered later today.

toplel

Reaction score
I would wear your suit jacket underneath when taking it to your tailors.

Also suggest you shorten the length more that what you have pinned, contemporary style is much higher.

Lastly, patch pockets on a wool garment can be moved but I doubt you have to. They are designed to put your hands in them and are likely fine where they are.

I like it too! Be sure & show us the end result.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Hmm... I'd be careful with shortening too much more. Don't forget that contemporary shorter coats more often have slashed pockets instead of flap pockets and that's where this shorter style works in terms of proportions. I'd keep it longer (this is coming back as overcoats are getting longer again). I agree wiht taking a jacket along for the alterations.

Ddohrn

Reaction score
So took the coat in to be altered yesterday. Definitely took my jacket as suggested. We decided to make it about 3/4 of an inch longer than pictured. I think Anachronist was right as when we pinned it shorter the patch pockets looked off. This maintains the original proportions of the coat as an equal amount is being removed from the sleeves as well as the bottom. It is also being slimed. I really appreciate all the advice and will post pics when they are done.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads