1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Omegas

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blackplatano, May 3, 2009.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

timezone is a great resource for vintage watches. Much better than ebay. But, with anything via the internet, caveat emptor.

I agree with this.

On TZ, I purchased a solid 14K '62 Longines automatic for $399, triple signed with minimum wear
    [​IMG]

Me like. [​IMG]

2. Mark from Plano

Spoke to the seller and got the watch down to $450. Thanks for the help Mark. I'll try and get the watch checked out at the shop when I get it, but If I notice everything seems fine I might not even bother.
    I'd recommend taking it in and having someone give it a once over. Take a camera with you and see if you can get pictures of the movement, etc. and post here. If there's a problem, you'd rather know it now, rather than a year from now when you take it in for service. Also, if you get the numbers off the movement and the inside of the case, you can go to the Omega website and find out the details of the watch (year manufactured, etc.) Shouldn't cost much. Just tell the guy you just bought it and you'd like to have it checked out. I think you got a nice one there.

3. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

Old pic, but here's my vintage Sega. Big thanks to a couple of SF members who gave me great advices during the process [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is awesome. May I ask what model is this?

4. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

I'd recommend taking it in and having someone give it a once over. Take a camera with you and see if you can get pictures of the movement, etc. and post here. If there's a problem, you'd rather know it now, rather than a year from now when you take it in for service.

Also, if you get the numbers off the movement and the inside of the case, you can go to the Omega website and find out the details of the watch (year manufactured, etc.)

Shouldn't cost much. Just tell the guy you just bought it and you'd like to have it checked out.

I think you got a nice one there.

I'll keep those things in mine. I'll update this thread in a few weeks with pics and news.

5. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

One model to look for is the Seamaster Deville. I have one -- it's a stout, sturdy timepiece that can often be had for around $300-$400 on eBay.

Here is the model I have: [​IMG]

A classic watch and I have a custom Louisana Crocidile strap with deyployment clasp on mine.

6. Pitt 84

Pitt 84 Member

I have used "cool vintage watches" they a have a nice selection of vintage Omegas $$450 to $3000...lot's of cool 50's & 60's watches of all makes...[​IMG]

Be seeing you!
    Pitt 84

7. kcc

kcc Senior member

Appears to be a Bumper, but unsure of the Cal.

Anyone care to rank the following strap brands? Hirsch, Handley Roma, Speidel

8. ozymandias

ozymandias Senior member

I'm awesome! [​IMG]

Here's a couple I've posted before.
    1960's Connie Piepan in 18k pink gold (wearing it today, but couldn't get anything but crappy pics from my iPhone, so this is a file photo):
    [​IMG]

1946 Vintage bumper automatic in 18k yellow gold (file photo):
    [​IMG]

What kind of a bracelet is that in the second pic? Looks gorgeous did it come with the watch?

9. Mark from Plano

What kind of a bracelet is that in the second pic? Looks gorgeous did it come with the watch?

Both are alligator bands that I had made to fit these watches from these folks:

www.banda.com

10. whacked

whacked Senior member

Missed this the first time, my bad. Movement is cal 332, produced in 1949 or so.

11. tobinbridge

tobinbridge Senior member

My Grandfathers 18K Rose Bumper. Purchased after he returned from the war sometime in the early 50's. A family heirloom i did not know of until it was passed to me from my Grandmother. I feel something special each time I put it on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mark from Plano

13. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

And follow-up question: why is it displayed on a photo of two generations of Downs Syndrome patients?

14. ozymandias

ozymandias Senior member

Both are alligator bands that I had made to fit these watches from these folks:

www.banda.com

Thanks for that ordering now..did you go with the classic?

15. Mark from Plano

Thanks for that ordering now..did you go with the classic?

Yeah, something like that, but I ordered mine as a custom rather than a RTW because I was matching it up with a gold Omega buckle I picked up, so I needed to specify both lug end width and buckle end width.

Also I would highly recommend ordering it custom (from this page) and getting the Ergot spring bars. I always have a black and a brown band made up for mine and switch them out from time to time to match my shoes. It also reduces the wear on the band to not wear the same one every day so they last longer.

16. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Yeah, something like that, but I ordered mine as a custom rather than a RTW because I was matching it up with a gold Omega buckle I picked up, so I needed to specify both lug end width and buckle end width.

Also I would highly recommend ordering it custom (from this page) and getting the Ergot spring bars. I always have a black and a brown band made up for mine and switch them out from time to time to match my shoes. It also reduces the wear on the band to not wear the same one every day so they last longer.

I tried the Ergot spring bars once and the band came off during wear. I guess you haven't had problems, otherwise you wouldn't recommend them.

17. tobinbridge

tobinbridge Senior member

^^^[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks

18. darcys

darcys Member

That's style right there! Very beautiful!