Vintage Omega Watches

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roger, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I'm not very keen on gold-filled or plated cases.
    Same here, I'd rather have solid gold (even low karat) or steel.

2. Roger

Roger Senior member

That appears to have a restored dial which usually means a lower price for collectors.
    ...but a higher value for wearers.

3. Sartorian

Sartorian Senior member

Are there any other vintage watch brands with a similar look to the Omegas that might be got for $200 or less? These Omegas are beautiful, and an object of lust for me, but I simply can't afford one right now.
    [​IMG]

4. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    I have an OMEGA Speedmaster Professional that I wear daily and it takes a beating. The Speedmasters use an acrylic/plastic face in lieu of Quartz (I read somewhere it had to do with the watch being used in Spaceflights) It scuffs and scratches like a mother (also due to the raised face). I am a FIRM believer in Meguiars Plastx as well[​IMG] It makes the face damn near perfect!!! To polish the Stainless Steel Watch body and band I use WEIMAN METAL POLISH [​IMG][​IMG] Just apply and wipe off... Beautiful results!!! I love OMEGA and anticipate you will too![​IMG]
    Meguiar makes a really quality product. I'm going to get some of the Weiman's. Thanks!

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I have an OMEGA Speedmaster Professional that I wear daily and it takes a beating. The Speedmasters use an acrylic/plastic face in lieu of Quartz (I read somewhere it had to do with the watch being used in Spaceflights) It scuffs and scratches like a mother (also due to the raised face). I am a FIRM believer in Meguiars Plastx as well[​IMG] It makes the face damn near perfect!!! To polish the Stainless Steel Watch body and band I use WEIMAN METAL POLISH

Just apply and wipe off... Beautiful results!!!

I love OMEGA and anticipate you will too![​IMG]

I have the same watch. The crystal scratches like crazy, but is more shatter resistant than saphire. Thanks for the tip regarding the cleaning!

6. Roger

Roger Senior member

Are there any other vintage watch brands with a similar look to the Omegas that might be got for $200 or less? These Omegas are beautiful, and an object of lust for me, but I simply can't afford one right now.
    [​IMG]

Well, there are lots of vintage watches out there for less money than the Omegas. Let's see what some forumers can come up with. One brand that springs to mind is Hamilton, although I haven't checked prices. Bulova is another.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Elgin.

8. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Senior member

[​IMG]

Depends on which Omega look you like I suppose. Longines would be worth a look around that price point, something like this but in stainless would be a great start imho http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150145084342

9. Roger

Roger Senior member

Depends on which Omega look you like I suppose. Longines would be worth a look around that price point, something like this but in stainless would be a great start imho http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150145084342
    That's a pretty watch. There was a time, wasn't there, when Longines was considered a high-quality brand?

10. caelte

Elgin.
    Lord Elgin

11. caelte

Same here, I'd rather have solid gold (even low karat) or steel.
    Even though I appreciate your aversion to gold-fill, gold- fill is a great deal better than vermeil. Most of the wear I've seen on gold-fill is at the edges where a high acid wearer has etched away the base material. If you can find a case with little wear, it is usually priced the same as the case with corrosion, it could be a good deal depending on the other factors.

12. Roger

Roger Senior member

Mark, my impression has been that "gold-filled" is an ambiguous term--or let's say one that is used loosely and imprecisely. Is there, to your knowledge, an agreed-upon, or perhaps, regulation-mandated definition of it?

13. caelte

Mark, my impression has been that "gold-filled" is an ambiguous term--or let's say one that is used loosely and imprecisely. Is there, to your knowledge, an agreed-upon, or perhaps, regulation-mandated definition of it?
    I was speaking recently with a watch collector friend about gold-fill. We were wondering about how gold-fill is done. Neither of us knew. How do they get it around the lugs? I haven't seen a standard for thickness but gold-fill is a sheet of gold bonded by heat and pressure to a base metal although a lesser precious metal is sometimes used. All the cases I've seen have been brass. Gold-fill usually has a fraction with the hallmark indicating the gold weight of the material as a whole, like 1/12 14k gold-fill.

14. whacked

whacked Senior member

Also: Wittnauer(made by Longines), Gruen.

If Omega dive watch is your thing, then Olma, Seiko(6306/9)...

At that price range, certain Rado, Tissot, Movado are also worth a look.

[​IMG]

Well, there are lots of vintage watches out there for less money than the Omegas. Let's see what some forumers can come up with. One brand that springs to mind is Hamilton, although I haven't checked prices. Bulova is another.

Elgin.

15. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Here's my old thread on my vintage Omegas, Longines etc.