• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Omega Watch Question

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been looking for a 1950s or 1960s Omega Seamaster with a black dial and stainless steel case for a long time. I like the minimalist aesthetic.

I finally found these two watches. The cases are scuffed up. Also, there's a bit of grime/patina on the movements.

The first one is going for $860 and the second one is going for $930.

My question: are these watches overpriced given their state? If so, what would be fairer prices?

seamasterblackb.jpg

omegaseamblackb.jpg

Marton

Reaction score
Yes, they seem a bit overpriced. I am not too knowledgable with vintage omegas but these don't look too special to ask for that price.

I can get them locally for roughly 300-400usd.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marton
Yes, they seem a bit overpriced. I am not too knowledgable with vintage omegas but these don't look too special to ask for that price.

I can get them locally for roughly 300-400usd.

Agree..Nothing special about those for the price.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check timezone.com on the Omega and vintage watch fora.

Twotone

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those prices do seem high to me. I have a mid-1960s manual-wind Seamaster "Chronostop" that belonged to my father-in-law and saw a similar one at a local shop for about $550 with original box and papers and no noticeable scratches (I wasn't interested in it so didn't really look to close).

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
Those prices do seem high to me. I have a mid-1960s manual-wind Seamaster "Chronostop" that belonged to my father-in-law and saw a similar one at a local shop for about $550 with original box and papers and no noticeable scratches (I wasn't interested in it so didn't really look to close).
Is there a Kelly Blue Book equivalent for used watches? If it is overpriced, I want to be able to negotiate the price down with concrete pricing examples.

mdp0430

Reaction score
If you go on Ebay, you can search what similar items sold for...

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw several similar watches at the flea market yesterday, and they were generally between $300-$500.

privateer

Reaction score
I would not purchase those watches for that price. Those are beautiful watches but I would keep looking.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marton
Yes, they seem a bit overpriced. I am not too knowledgable with vintage omegas but these don't look too special to ask for that price. I can get them locally for roughly 300-400usd.
The black faced seamasters are typically redials. If these are original it should support the higher price, but I have no clue whether these are.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc138
The black faced seamasters are typically redials. If these are original it should support the higher price, but I have no clue whether these are.

I called the dealer. He said that the dials had been restored, and that the watches had been overhauled by a Rolex manufacturer.

He didn't seem to be open to price negotiations. He said that at those prices, the watches "would sell."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads