• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage look: the full-leg trouser.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing this look in AA always gets me dreaming. Seeing it in the films of the 30's and 40's even more-so.

Anybody here a practioner of the high-waist, full leg trouser? Any pics? I have the sort of tall, lanky, broad-shouldered frame that could support this but... is it just not advisable in this day and age? Just too naff?

tenniscourtds1.jpg

blueblazertd8.jpg

fathersonxh0.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It would look atrocious in a modern context.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you wanted to do it, I think you would need both a lot of personal style, and to have them made by a good tailor.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I see it sometimes on vintage aficionados and rarely think it looks good. Just too period, too costumey. I've noticed a few exceptions to the rule, but usually it requires a very specific, fairly aggressive style.

My fear as well.

Originally Posted by iammatt
If you wanted to do it, I think you would need both a lot of personal style, and to have them made by a good tailor.

Yes- the entire outfit would need to be bespoke by a tailor who knew what they were doing.

Additionally- I'd guess I really couldn't do just one outfit like this, I'd need to commit to the vintage look.

Ah, but to dream... I always new that, in another life, I played in Glenn Miller's orchestra.
tounge.gif
inlove.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Those do not look that crazy to me, but then I guess I get most of my trousers high-waisted and full cut.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Those do not look that crazy to me, but then I guess I get most of my trousers high-waisted and full cut.

The images don't look that full to me either -- not that far off a Brooks cut. I'm referring more to the vintage stuff I've seen in real life. I presumed that's more what Cary had in mind, as otherwise he could just buy Brooks stuff.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, they don't look too much different than some RTW Burberry and Brooks trousers I have.

But if you go too far, you'll end up with Oxford bags, which came after the 1924 ban on wearing knickers to lecture.

oxford-bags.jpg

oxford_suit.oxford_pants_1920_roaringtwenties_jazz_age.jpg

Smahatma

Reaction score
Alternatively, you could have titled this thread "The NBA player look"

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I have always loved the full leg, high rise trouser. I was sooooo pleased when I spotted them again in recent Armani and Burberry ads.

My first real intro into "high-end" fashion was with early Armani and Versace trousers. They fit like nobody else's trousers. Not only did/does the fuller cut offer more comfort/more room to move, but there is a certain, inherent luxury about all the extra fabric. Same opinion when it comes to sport shirts. Versace understood this concept. Lots of expensive, wonderful-to-touch fabric equates to luxury...perhaps even decadence.

On a related note...A huge percentage of men in the US are overweight...So where are the high-rise pants for these guys (me included) so that our bellies aren't falling over the waistband. Especially with jeans! Good luck finding high-rise jeans. I've found a few...but no easy task.

I see no reason why a fuller, high-rise pant can't co-exist with the skinnier, slimmer look that is currently monopolizing the marketplace. Looking forward to its return in "full force!"

Dennis

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Seeing this look in AA always gets me dreaming. Seeing it in the films of the 30's and 40's even more-so. Anybody here a practioner of the high-waist, full leg trouser? Any pics? I have the sort of tall, lanky, broad-shouldered frame that could support this but... is it just not advisable in this day and age? Just too naff?
tenniscourtds1.jpg
blueblazertd8.jpg
fathersonxh0.jpg

What I never understood is the use of these drawings to illustrate traditional men's clothing. It's used on this forum and a lot in Flusser's books. My reply has nothing to do with the OP (so take no offense), but I think it is ridiculous to convey fit, drape and color with these drawings. Maybe styling as a general concept, but otherwise pointless. More classic photos of these gentleman are in order.

dsmolken

Reaction score
I've got four pairs of MTM trousers which fit this description, but I've got a big bubble butt and meaty thighs so they look pretty normal on me. Hip-hop jeans look normal on me, too.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I have BB Garbadine trousers, that are in fact shockingly full cut. (Got them on Ebay for 20$)

I had my tailor finishing them with a 2" cuff and on the short side. Looks quite good now, although in general I prefer slimmer trousers.

The trousers in the AA illustrations don't seem to be outreagously wide, so, I don't see a problem in wearing pants like these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads