• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage John Lobb catalogue

macaroni

Reaction score
Hi, I have found those photos (drawings?) in my cobblers workshop. I wonder how did Lobb lasts changed since the photos ware taken (60s i suppose). More photos on my blog
Obraz002_2_2_2.jpg
Obraz003_2.jpg
Obraz002_2.jpg
Obraz003_2_2.jpg
Obraz001.jpg
Obraz_2_2_2.jpg

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lobb's lasts are bespoke, so they have changed the way their customers' feet have changed.
BTW, I used the first photo as a model for shoes I order. If you go to Lobb's website, they have a link to their old black and white catalog that includes some helpful text explaining the design features.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macaroni
They don't do any RTW?
No. John Lobb Bootmakers, who made the shoes you showed, makes only bespoke. The John Lobb RTW operation is French and owned by Hermes, though the shoes are made in England. There is no connection between Lobb Bootmakers and John Lobb anymore.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macaroni
Well... i guess those photos are not a rarity as i was assuming...
Here is a link to the page I mentioned, showing that particular shoes. Your photos are better quality and were probably what were scanned for the online version. But here is the accompanying text:
Brown Grain Calf is used for this shoe, which is excellent for either golf or country wear. The Norwegian is a waterproof as a leather shoe can be and this is due to certain essential and unique features. There are only two vertical seams in the uppers; one of these appears at the toe, under which a stout "toe box" made of hard leather gives great protection, and the other, slightly curved, can be seen on the inside of the heel. The shoe has been photographed on the inside to show this latter seam, which is purposely not placed symmetrically at the back, where the greatest strain occurs, but at the inside where it is much stronger and less noticeable; the stitches of both these seams are made from within through half the thickness of the leather only and are therefore invisible. The sole, too, is fixed to the uppers differently from any other type of shoe. Instead of using a welt, the upper is turned outwards and stitched to the sole and this operation necessitates an extra row of stitches just above the sole, which can be seen in the photograph. The characteristic Norwegian pattern, i.e., the crescent-shaped piece of leather on the front, is today commonly used for ordinary walking shoes but the features described above, essential to the true Norwegian, are seldom to be found in any but the best quality hand-made shoes.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regardless, they're cool to see. Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

I think it's interesting the medley of shoe trees they have photographed.

macaroni

Reaction score
I was quite thrilled when I've found them. I was even more thrilled when my cobbler explained to me (using those photos) what are Polish names for particular shoe styles. Most of those names are out of use in my country.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow, so little has changed...the 2nd pic is pretty much the Becketts, and the 3rd is the William, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads