• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-izing a denim jacket...

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm on the lookout for the perfect denim jacket. My ideal shade looks something like this:
p60264d.jpg
Quite a while back, thrift shopping, I picked up a brand-new Levi's jean jacket, great fit, in that very very deep dark navy rinse color that is current for the Red Tab line (don't have a picture, but someone will know what I'm talking about). Denim experts out there - say I throw this jacket in the wash, oh, 50 times or so, am I going to get the shade you can see up there? Or will it develop that funny green tint that modern jeans have? OR, will it stay largely the same color, but come apart at the seams? Thanks, guys...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would work. Never heard of a funny green tint from overwashing. Putting it out in the sun would help too, and wearing it of course. But... you might save yourself tons of trouble by just buying a vintage jacket from someone on EBay. I'm guessing there are lots of them out there for sale on EBay, as they were a huge fad on the East Coast/US anyway in the early/mid-1980s.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 501's that really, really need breaking in.

I'm also tempted to buy some Diesel jeans off of eBay. Anyone know of any good buyers I should bid on, or scammers I should avoid?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also tempted to buy some Diesel jeans off of eBay. Anyone know of any good buyers I should bid on, or scammers I should avoid?
Nothing you like on Bluefly?

I'd trust them over the scammers selling generic relaxed-fit jeans with poorly-stitched Ds on the back pockets and 'X-ROTUCK' tags...

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I wonder if putting the jacket under a tanning bed would speed up the washed-out look..?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 501's that really, really need breaking in.

Avoid the seller that always has them with a buy-it-now of $34.99. Also avoid the sellers that sell fake Diesel/D&G/Prada jeans out of Turkey and Eastern Europe. Most of the fakes are pretty obvious, so I'm sure you'll be fine with the rest of the sellers.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess that's nice, but the fading is a little unnatural for me.

When it comes to denim, I like just enough wear to show the depth of the fabric's texture - holes and tears I can make on my own.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd probably wash it with a dilute bleach solution to speed the fading process. If you want, rinse, repeat, or just go back to washing it a zillion times.

General Koskov

Reaction score
Naval ratings' square denim collars are often scrubbed incessantly to give the appearance of a long service in the navy. This is, of course, discouraged by those in charge of materiel because it's a damn waste of collars--and one's time. Nevertheless, scrubbing would be my advice for antiquing denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads