• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage images, a blast from the past

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Click the thumbnails for bigger view.

William Powell and Gary Cooper: Duesenberg Derham Tourster

Alan Young and Connie Hines: Studebaker Lark ...and of course, the talking horse, the famous "Mr. Ed"!

Persols, anyone?

Steve McQueen: Jaguar XKSS

Madman? John Delorean: 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix

Lots more here: Mac's Motor City Garage

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

Ronald Reagan, anno dazumal, sporting a black grenadine or knit tie and the largest herringbone weave I've ever seen. :slayer:

Last edited:

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montage from the scrapbook of Cecil Beaton... That should be a relatively well known pre-drape picture (without the St.Edwards crown :D) of the Duke of Windsor when Prince of Wales in the early 20s.

stewman

Reaction score
t: I can never imagine Reagan in jeans as far as I can remember he was always in suits or blazers.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is very unlikely that Don Draper would have driven a Pontiac
at the time. He would have had a high-end US luxury car like
a Cadillac or a Lincoln, and because he was in New York where
forieign cars were already popular, possibly a Jag or a Mercedes.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is very unlikely that Don Draper would have driven a Pontiac
at the time. He would have had a high-end US luxury car like
a Cadillac or a Lincoln, and because he was in New York where
forieign cars were already popular, possibly a Jag or a Mercedes.

I was merely commenting on the similarity of appearance between Delorean and the Draper character.

However, since you speculated, I googled it and you were spot on regarding the character's vehicles at the point in time of the Delorean photo.

Don worked as a used-car salesman when Anna Draper found him. Don enjoyed, on at least one occasion, the company of motorcyclists and hot rod enthusiasts while he was visiting Anna in Southern California. At the beginning of the series, Don drives a 1959 Oldsmobile, then a 1960 Buick Invicta convertible. Later, Don wrecks an unassuming and utilitarian 1961 Dodge Polara, after which he is goaded by Roger Sterling into purchasing an ice blue and white 1962 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. Sterling tells him that the Cadillac is a sign that Don had "arrived." By the start of Season 5, it had been replaced with a 1965 Coupe de Ville, in silver with red leather interior. In the Season 5 episode "Christmas Waltz, as the agency prepares to pitch for the Jaguar account, Don leaves a check as a deposit to take a red 1965 Jaguar E-Type out for a test drive with Joan and without the salesperson. He returns the car later that day.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was merely commenting on the similarity of appearance between Delorean and the Draper character.

However, since you speculated, I googled it and you were spot on regarding the character's vehicles at the point in time of the Delorean photo.

Good observation. Both dress(ed) in a fashionable style.
Not, in Draper's case, the hardcore Ivy League style that dominated
Madison Ave at the time. As for DeLorean, he was always a bit flashy:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...96BCAF7FE0BA878F6B8B93F5FC97&selectedIndex=49

BTW, I owned that '68 Pontiac he is shown with. Mine had "four on the floor"

Last edited:

doughboysc

Reaction score
The late great 40th President looked stylish in Windsor knots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads