1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage images, a blast from the past

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by IndianBoyz, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Most well-cut and best material Nehru I've seen. Is there a more correct name for this cut?

2. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

3. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

It's actually a blue-gray glen plaid suit, which I only found out from seeing stills in a book, not from watching TCM reruns on my non HDTV! It's a three button rolled to two, and - horror of horrors - ventless!

4. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Great thread! Love seeing these

5. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Me too. A tweed Nehru with gorgeous waist supression; I wonder if I could get Bookster to bite on this.

6. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Marcus Garvey with Prince Kojo Tovalou Houenou of Dahomey and George O Marke 1924

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

The prince is ready for the shoe circle. Sharp specs!

9. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

[​IMG] Dick Cavett interviews Jimi Hendrix in June 1969. [​IMG] Cavett interviewing Hendrix again on the September 9, 1969 telecast. [​IMG] Dick Cavett in early 1970. [​IMG] Cavett from Circa March 1970. [​IMG] Cavett and Raquel on June 25, 1970 telecast. Cavett knows how to wear a double-breasted navy blazer. Loved that plaid sportcoat! [​IMG] Cavett in early-April 1970. [​IMG] Here's what Dick Cavett looked like during Janis Joplin's final interview on August 3, 1970. [​IMG] Cavett as he looks like when he interviewed John and Yoko in September 1971. [​IMG] Cavett's 2nd interview with John & Yoko in May 1972. Cavett is a living legend.

BTW, I don't understand why I don't have permission to rate this content. This rule is unfair. :censored:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  10. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Dick Cavett is interviewing Raquel Welch and you notice/comment on his blazer?!

11. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

FTFY

12. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

During the closing credits of some of Cavett's ABC shows between 1969-1971 have his clothes provided by John Weitz (I think it's part of Palm Beach/Hart Shaffner and Marx/Austin Reed brand) and J. Press. The latter is an Ivy League clothing store in New Haven, CT with stores in NYC, Cambridge, and Washington, DC. But the one J. Press store on the West Coast in San Francisco closed few years ago. I know that Cavett went to Yale.

13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

15. comrade

comrade Senior member

During the closing credits of some of Cavett's ABC shows between 1969-1971 have his clothes provided by John Weitz (I think it's part of Palm Beach/Hart Shaffner and Marx/Austin Reed brand) and J. Press. The latter is an Ivy League clothing store in New Haven, CT with stores in NYC, Cambridge, and Washington, DC. But the one J. Press store on the West Coast in San Francisco closed few years ago. I know that Cavett went to Yale.[/quote

J,Prees, Arthur M. Rosenberg, Mort Sills, Chipp were among the originators of the Ivy Style and
    all began in New Haven. Press closed it's store in San Francisco in the early 80s and the company was sold to a Japanese Corp
    in 1986, after which the character of the store changed significanty- For example I purchased a glen plaid RTW suit
    from Press with side vents, no darts, two buttons and a nipped waist in the late 70s. They've sold nothing like that
    for the past 30 years, as far as I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Press

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  16. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  17. Fantastic Mr Foxx

Fantastic Mr Foxx Senior member

18. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a nicely cut suit on Reagan... but those shoes. :uhoh:

19. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

Ronald Regan was a stylish actor and ex-President like JFK. Regan worned windsor knots on neckties, spread collar shirts, stylish conservative suits. Turnbull & Asser, and Brooks Brothers shirts, etc.

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Wait, wut?