• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hawaiian shirts

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm heading with my family to Hawaii next Tues (actually a very inconvenient time for me to take a vacation, but it's free, so what am I gonna do?) so I went out looking for some hot weather clothing. I checked into a vintage store nearby and found a couple of vintage Hawaiian shirts that I really like.

The first one is by Evelyn Margolis and appears to be rayon (?) crepe, sort of heavy as these go. It has a pattern in blue, purple and green that looks like someone drew on it with markers. Very ugly, but so far to the ugly it's cool again, IMO.

The other is by Alfred Shaheen and I'm pretty sure it's cotton. Very pale blue with heavy dark teal printing of junks (boats) all over it.

Anyway I will keep my eye out for these from now on. As it turns out they go for a fair bit of money. Does anyone collect these? I'll get some pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This one is just like mine only different colors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Alfred-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I paid about 1/5 of that.
biggrin.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Evelyn Margolis:

margoliswy6.jpg

Alfred Shaheen:

shaheenus1.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The Alfred Shaheen is seriously sick.

I have some friends that are really into vintage Hawaiian shirts...they would know more about the collectibility of labels than I. I just get the repro's from Avanti or Sunsurf

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. Somehow I knew you'd show up here...
biggrin.gif
I have a couple from Avanti as well that were brought back as gifts. They cost more than the vintage ones though! Like $90 retail IIRC.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I collected Hawaiian Shirts in the 70's and had a whole closet full of them. I would mention a few points in relationship to the vintage ones. First the Rayon ones are hot so if you sweat a lot this could be a problem. It might make it seem that cotton is the better choice.

Next some of them are the devil to iron unless you have the dry cleaners take care of that for you. And lastly they wrinkle very easily so one has to be careful how you sit otherwise when you get up there will be a big creases going down your back that look like heck.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are these available in a trad motif with, say, lobsters and crabs?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an old pic with a deaf dog, Nudie SJs and cigar (only Hawaiian shirt I own):
Hawaii3-1.jpg

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A serious question: Would wearing these scream "TOURIST?" I've never been to Hawaii
plain.gif
, and I don't know, but this is oftentimes the case. Anybody?

(And even if they do but you don't care, j, then go for it...and good luck finding more!)

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'd rather wear a linen shirt, to be frank. All "Hawaiian" shirts just scream tacky to me.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
A serious question: Would wearing these scream "TOURIST?" I've never been to Hawaii
plain.gif

Having lived near the beach my whole life I would have to say no. Vintage Hawaiian Shirts are quite stylish and have a particular look all of their own. It is a fine line I suppose between a cheap loud Hawaiian Shirt with Bermuda shorts which I would say no to and the finesse of a more subdued well designed 1940's shirt with blue jeans. Even the quality of the material stands out on its own. A good portion of the repro shirts are done quite nicely today but still miss a bit in the translation I don't suppose it would work so well in the cooler climes of Europe but here in the US and Hawaii they fit right in with casual attire.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
plain.gif

(And even if they do but you don't care, j, then go for it...and good luck finding more!)

No, lots of people in Hawaii wear them. I would assume there is actually more cred for wearing rarer vintage shirts than for wearing the crappy ones from JC Penney. If you combine with an extreme paleness (which I will bring), and some long black socks, ugly beige velcro shoes and shorts (which I will not bring), and a camera slung round the neck, I think that is what screams 'tourist'.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like to scream "tourist". But only when I'm at home.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hawaiian shirts in Hawaii are definitely NOT tourist. You'll fit right in j. And have fun on the islands.

Are Hawaiian shirts popular in season in Seattle? I wore them exclusively from Memorial Day to Labor Day for about 20 years...I had about 4 dozen and hardly ever saw anyone else sporting one. A few years ago, while at a tavern before a concert here in town I noticed every single guy in the joint had one on. Most were cheapies from Target and a few Tommy Bahamas, but all of a sudden I didn't want to wear mine anymore. I boxed them all up the next day and gave took them to the thrift store.

Seeing your two new finds j, methinks I might rethink things. Nice shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads