1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vintage English Shoe maker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by well-kept, Jun 5, 2006.

1. well-kept

well-kept Senior Member

Just came into possession of a pair of finely-made English half-brogues labeled Skerry. They appear to be several decades old. The closed-channeled soles are indistinguishable from my oldest EGs. The uppers are hand stitched with a higher stitches-per-inch count than my bespoke Lobbs. Any of you know anything about them? Thanks.

2. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior Member

Recently "thrifted" a great pair of Skerry's myself, slip-on brogues--loafers, I guess--with a kiltie, in cognac. Light wear. Like yours, they're very finely made, and seem quite old ('50s?). Still visible on the sole, in gold, are the words "BRITISH MADE", and an American size, 8 D. The forward part of the leather lining appears to be white pigskin! And they fit. My brother has a pair of 1980s Edward Green brogues--the Skerry's are a step up, no doubt about it--but otherwise very similar in construction.

I came across one reference via Google: in a UK newspaper article, a successful shoe store owner in his 70's tells how he started in 1952 or so--selling Skerry's.

3. Percy Trimmer

Percy Trimmer Senior Member

There are some Skerry women's shoes currently on sale on British ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skerry-Hand-Cr...QQcmdZViewItem

The box pictured looks like it dates from no later than the 1960s.

The seller claims these retail for £100 - I don't know where she gets that infomation from!

Trimmer

4. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior Member

5. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior Member

Here's the pic of the Skerry's I found...

6. well-kept

well-kept Senior Member

Staatsoper,

Yours are the only other pair I've seen. Can you please tell me which number last they're made on?

7. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior Member

Unf. can't find any last no.--aside from the gold "Skerry-Quality Shoes-Hand Finished" of the crest logo, there's nothing else inside. Also, stamped in gold on the shank is "BRITISH MADE", and incised there is the American size, "8 D". That's it. Oh, a correction--the forward half of the lining is cream-colored deerskin, I think. Don't have any Green's or Lobb's, so the only shoes I have that even approach them in quality and panache are my ca 1990 Ludwig Reiter bluchers.
    Staatsoper, Yours are the only other pair I've seen. Can you please tell me which number last they're made on?