• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vintage English Shoe maker

well-kept

Reaction score
Just came into possession of a pair of finely-made English half-brogues labeled Skerry. They appear to be several decades old. The closed-channeled soles are indistinguishable from my oldest EGs. The uppers are hand stitched with a higher stitches-per-inch count than my bespoke Lobbs. Any of you know anything about them? Thanks.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Recently "thrifted" a great pair of Skerry's myself, slip-on brogues--loafers, I guess--with a kiltie, in cognac. Light wear. Like yours, they're very finely made, and seem quite old ('50s?). Still visible on the sole, in gold, are the words "BRITISH MADE", and an American size, 8 D. The forward part of the leather lining appears to be white pigskin! And they fit. My brother has a pair of 1980s Edward Green brogues--the Skerry's are a step up, no doubt about it--but otherwise very similar in construction.

I came across one reference via Google: in a UK newspaper article, a successful shoe store owner in his 70's tells how he started in 1952 or so--selling Skerry's.

well-kept

Reaction score
Staatsoper,

Yours are the only other pair I've seen. Can you please tell me which number last they're made on?

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Unf. can't find any last no.--aside from the gold "Skerry-Quality Shoes-Hand Finished" of the crest logo, there's nothing else inside. Also, stamped in gold on the shank is "BRITISH MADE", and incised there is the American size, "8 D". That's it. Oh, a correction--the forward half of the lining is cream-colored deerskin, I think. Don't have any Green's or Lobb's, so the only shoes I have that even approach them in quality and panache are my ca 1990 Ludwig Reiter bluchers.
Originally Posted by well-kept
Staatsoper, Yours are the only other pair I've seen. Can you please tell me which number last they're made on?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 114 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 103 30.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%