Vintage English leather goods, and their quality.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jan 30, 2005.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Hello,

I was having a thought that the vintage English leather goods from the 20's up until the 50's have a remarkable quality to them.

They seem to be on par, and if perhaps exceed the present day Hermes', and Aspreys, Tanner Krolls, etc.

And for somewhat a cheaper price since they are used.

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Where do you get them? I guess ebay is the usual place; my problem is finding quality things of such sort (whose quality I cannot examine in person) without resorting to looking for a brand that gets bid up very high (Swaine Adeney, Asprey, Mappin & Webb, etc.) and in a condition that is not knackered.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I sometimes buy them from certain luggage dealers. Now, the price isn't low as one expects for used luggage but still much cheaper than buying a comparable quality leather item from an Hermes.

Yes, on ebay as well. Try looking for defunct labels. Those are sometimes overlooked however some still command a slight cult shall we say following.

4. kabert

kabert Senior member

EBay seller mancitynut has great vintage leather and crocodile goods.

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm going to have to check out some of these items.

To me, vintage goods - whether they be lighters, cigarette cases, watches, leather goods, or cufflinks - always have a certain intriguing appeal that modern goods just cannot duplicate.

6. kabert

kabert Senior member

One such "defunct" label is Abercrombie & Fitch. Doing a well worded search on Ebay can yield a treasure trove of nifty vintage A&F items -- from horn bottle openers, to silverwear, to framed pictures, to beautiful leather hunting and other cases; to tackle boxes; to leather wrapped flasks; to all kinds of very cool vintage clothes. Lots of it from the 1920-1960s period.

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

I saw a very very very cool Heuer watch from the 1960s on ebay. The dial was very unique, and I'm pretty sure it was a chronograph model, as it was a sailing watch.

The description stated that this particular model was only available in A&F stores.

I also saw a vintage safari-style jacket that was quite nice.

I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of current A&F customers have no idea of the history of the store they shop at. They just think the '1893' logo is some gimick, rather than the actual date that the company was started.

8. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior member

I have a beautiful suede coat with an old green embroidered A&F label-(most likely late 50's ,early 60's).I also have a nice vintage Oxxford sportcoat from them.A quantum leap higher in quality than what they peddle today,I might add.