• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting development today. I won a pair of AE “Winhall” on eBay. They are really interesting two tone cap toe that I have never seen before. Here is one of the pictures from the listing:

52F4C021-35C8-4F69-8937-0CADDFBF5327.jpeg

BUT,

here is the shoe I got. They are my size and I like them. But, not what I bought.

476D2478-BEAF-4BBE-AAEF-807B95F82862.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting development today. I won a pair of AE “Winhall” on eBay. They are really interesting two tone cap toe that I have never seen before. Here is one of the pictures from the listing:

View attachment 1291457

BUT,

here is the shoe I got. They are my size and I like them. But, not what I bought.

View attachment 1291458

Demand full refund with apology. If this fails, immediately invoke legal proceedings.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1291457

BUT,

View attachment 1291458
If you want to play nice, you can contact the seller and request he provide a return label and ship out the correct stuff. The safe thing to do is to report as a SNAD through ebay.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Off topic, non shoe, slightly vintage related post.

I previously mentioned I and several other SF guys enjoy rehabbing old sewing machines. The old Singers are all metal and I personally enjoy greasing the gears, oiling all of the working areas, cleaning out the old stuff and getting the old machine humming along again. This Singer is from 1952.

But watching it run smoothly without thread made me start to wonder about actually sewing something. I figured that I enjoyed creating the ostrich leather wallet some months back, so I might enjoy sewing something together. My intended victims were my small grandsons, as they are too young to complain. I selected pajamas since they need some anyway and they will not wear them outside. This gives me lots of room to screw up. Fast forward through watching some YouTube videos, purchased a pattern, bought cloth and made myself ready for my very first project. They are 4 and 2, live in the country and they have an electric toy John Deer in which they ride, and there are tractors on every farm. That led me to the first pair.

The younger of the two is crazy about industrial machines like dump trucks, excavators, cranes and the like. He will get these for Christmas.

The second pair turned out better as they always do after one learns from the mistakes made on the first pair.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1291457

BUT,

View attachment 1291458
Winhalls were my first grown up dress shoe. I got them off eBay for $35 shipped. They are my go-to with a blue suit. I get compliments on them all the time.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1291457

BUT,

View attachment 1291458

The Winhall was created in a number of different styles. I previously owned the woven version.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Off topic, non shoe, slightly vintage related post.

I previously mentioned I and several other SF guys enjoy rehabbing old sewing machines. The old Singers are all metal and I personally enjoy greasing the gears, oiling all of the working areas, cleaning out the old stuff and getting the old machine humming along again. This Singer is from 1952.

View attachment 1291476

But watching it run smoothly without thread made me start to wonder about actually sewing something. I figured that I enjoyed creating the ostrich leather wallet some months back, so I might enjoy sewing something together. My intended victims were my small grandsons, as they are too young to complain. I selected pajamas since they need some anyway and they will not wear them outside. This gives me lots of room to screw up. Fast forward through watching some YouTube videos, purchased a pattern, bought cloth and made myself ready for my very first project. They are 4 and 2, live in the country and they have an electric toy John Deer in which they ride, and there are tractors on every farm. That led me to the first pair.

View attachment 1291482

The younger of the two is crazy about industrial machines like dump trucks, excavators, cranes and the like. He will get these for Christmas.

View attachment 1291484
View attachment 1291485

The second pair turned out better as they always do after one learns from the mistakes made on the first pair.

Great work! My 23-month old would go nuts over those pajamas. He's obsessed with construction vehicles.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell MacNeils today from 1988. I was in 7th grade when these were born.
C1386457-28E1-4BBE-BA4F-F0306C7708FB.jpeg
2E77BD5B-44AC-46E5-96B7-DCCCF02D93DE.jpeg

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1291457

BUT,

View attachment 1291458

I’m a seller on etsy, and I’ve definitely done this by accident before with items that are similar if I’m in a rush. Whenever the buyer has let me know, I typically send the right item right away and tell the buyer if they want to send the wrong item back, great, if not, I don’t mind them keeping it. I’d hope it’s an accident and your seller would respond the same way.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Demand full refund with apology. If this fails, immediately invoke legal proceedings.
If you want to play nice, you can contact the seller and request he provide a return label and ship out the correct stuff. The safe thing to do is to report as a SNAD through ebay.
I’m a seller on etsy, and I’ve definitely done this by accident before with items that are similar if I’m in a rush. Whenever the buyer has let me know, I typically send the right item right away and tell the buyer if they want to send the wrong item back, great, if not, I don’t mind them keeping it. I’d hope it’s an accident and your seller would respond the same way.

I definitely decided to play it nice. I have made mistakes before and will make more in the future. The seller and I worked out a good deal. I am going to buy these shoes he sent me for a very good price. So, I'll two pairs for a very good price.

I REALLY like the woven variety!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ready to fight the rain tomorrow with classic Florsheims.

EA30832A-BC4C-4B5C-B2C4-FCB9AFC5A6E3.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a SUPER color and patina for that pair. Just in cse anyone asks, these are the exact reason a pair of shell shoes is a great investment.
Thanks. This pair of shell has bay far more character than any of my other pairs. I really lucked out. I grabbed them for a song on Etsy.

happypebble

Reaction score
You used the key words for me “subtle shine”. I have some shoes that look better with a subtle - almost matte - shine. I remember when I first learned (on many shoes) it is better to NOT shine the whole shoe.

My choice for today doesn’t leave me that option since they are CG. BUT, despite being CG they seem to be quality shoes. These are vintage Johnston Murphy shortwings. They are from the time when J&M still made them in the USA. I remember these shoes being the choice of businessmen. I can’t imagine how well J&M was doing in the 80’s through 90’s when they made good shoes in conservative styles that every lawyer and banker and general manager wore. How has J&M fallen so much?

Anyway, here is my choice for today. No non-sense conservative style dependable black wingtip. Wear them to Court or funerals or a board meeting or a Church.

View attachment 1291390
Ooh, I *really* like this. Classy.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of I'm assuming early 90s USA made johnston and Murphy wingtips a few years ago for $5. Really clean. Wore them a few times, then found some also early 90s Florsheim Royal Imperial V cleats for $3. I just liked those better and don't have space for multiple black wingtips. Especially considering I could wear a t shirt and jeans to work.

I gave the JM to a friend to replace the horrid 90s square toe abominations he was using as dress shoes.

Everyone was happy!

You used the key words for me “subtle shine”. I have some shoes that look better with a subtle - almost matte - shine. I remember when I first learned (on many shoes) it is better to NOT shine the whole shoe.

My choice for today doesn’t leave me that option since they are CG. BUT, despite being CG they seem to be quality shoes. These are vintage Johnston Murphy shortwings. They are from the time when J&M still made them in the USA. I remember these shoes being the choice of businessmen. I can’t imagine how well J&M was doing in the 80’s through 90’s when they made good shoes in conservative styles that every lawyer and banker and general manager wore. How has J&M fallen so much?

Anyway, here is my choice for today. No non-sense conservative style dependable black wingtip. Wear them to Court or funerals or a board meeting or a Church.

View attachment 1291390

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads