• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Alright folks, bought these as a project pair last year. Have not had the time to restore these, and forgot about them. Was clearing out my storage and found them again. Totally molded. Yuck! Luckily there were packed in a plastic bag.

It’s a (probably 1960s) pair of Shell Cordovan Florsheim Royal Imperial.
Size 9.5 B

If any of you are up for the challenge to (try to) restore them. They’d be yours for the cost of shipping!

Only condition is I would like to see a followup post with the result! Or perhaps this would be a good pair for the shoe restore challenge.

If multiple people are interested I’ll pick one at random.

Shoes are in Netherlands, but can ship worldwide.

Issues with the pair:
- mold
- leather looks super dry and dull in places

Photos below

View attachment 1275950 View attachment 1275949 View attachment 1275948 View attachment 1275947 View attachment 1275946
Shoes arrived today.

Good news! These come from my favorite Florsheim period - the "*******" sizing phase! These 9.5B shoes seem to fit my 10.5D feet, just a little snug by the toes.

So far, they're not half bad. I started with two mild all-over scrubbings with Bick 1, to get off the surface filth. Then a little conditioner. And of course, cedar shoe trees. Will decide on next steps tomorrow.

happypebble

Reaction score
So happy to see another pair of GH turn up! I still have it on my bucket list to find a pair in my size.

Oddball Golden Harvests arrived today. They are indeed covered in polish. Would love to know the story here. I put a little Reno’Mat to the toe cap on one - these are salvageable, but it’s gonna take some elbow grease to get there and there will always be some “patina” in the brogue holes. Should make for an interesting look.
View attachment 1283327

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden shell loafers today, because I was too tired to bend over and tie laces.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turns out they’re spectators!
View attachment 1283382

still a ton of work to go on these. This is after cleaning with some denatured alcohol. May need to go full acetone and/or bleach bath on these yet.
Crazy. Can’t wait to see how they come out. Good call with the beer. That helps everything.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crazy. Can’t wait to see how they come out. Good call with the beer. That helps everything.

Ah yes, beer. The cure all.

Every episode of "Cops" starts with:

Officer, I admit I had a few drinks...

sandfourman

Reaction score

thomas199023

Reaction score
Shoes arrived today.

Good news! These come from my favorite Florsheim period - the "*******" sizing phase! These 9.5B shoes seem to fit my 10.5D feet, just a little snug by the toes.

So far, they're not half bad. I started with two mild all-over scrubbings with Bick 1, to get off the surface filth. Then a little conditioner. And of course, cedar shoe trees. Will decide on next steps tomorrow.

Great to hear! That was quite fast. LMK how the mold removal goes! ;)

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is one of you vintage_shoe_guy1 on eBay? This selller has some pretty choice vintage shoes including some nice black shell Florsheim LWBs.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Once upon a time...a man could stroll downtown, enter a store with Florsheim on the sign and order a pair of shell cordovan Yumas. The man would happily produce the pair seen below. Judging from the date code and style under, these are from 1986. If you have some real loose money laying around with no purpose, and wear a 10D, this very pair NOS can be had for $1,800, but he is considering offers. Not my listing.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are not many better things than Alden Shell Cordovan LWB.

2FFF3113-9F89-4D40-83E9-F45790FCA9DD.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time...a man could stroll downtown, enter a store with Florsheim on the sign and order a pair of shell cordovan Yumas. The man would happily produce the pair seen below. Judging from the date code and style under, these are from 1986. If you have some real loose money laying around with no purpose, and wear a 10D, this very pair NOS can be had for $1,800, but he is considering offers. Not my listing.

View attachment 1283696

View attachment 1283697

View attachment 1283698

View attachment 1283699
This seller has some nice stuff and not all of it is priced like this. I thought the seller might be one of our own.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This seller has some nice stuff and not all of it is priced like this. I thought the seller might be one of our own.

Agreed. I just thought the Yumas were so special that I wanted to show the pictures of a NOS pair. They are pricey because they make the shell from unicorns.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I just thought the Yumas were so special that I wanted to show the pictures of a NOS pair. They are pricey because they make the shell from unicorns.
They are special. Unicorn shell... mmmmm... sounds delicious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads