• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that heel and logo, those are much newer than 1971. It must have been a fairly long running model.
I'd say it's from the 1980s based on the heel top and logo. AE from that period are fantastic.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With that heel and logo, those are much newer than 1971. It must have been a fairly long running model.

You are likely correct. There is a big gap in my catalogs and I only found it in the 1971 edition. Nice old shoe.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. what a cool wallet. Bring it by and you can borrow some of my reptan if you don't want to buy your own tin..
It’s actually a good-sized women’s purse. I’m thinking about whether to sell it or salvage the gator skin for another accessory project like a notebook cover.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Meant to post earlier. These English-made To Boots were great on a rainy day. And the longer I wore them, the more comfortable they got.

IMG_20191112_170218157.jpg

Last edited:

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a flyer today on what appears to be a pair of vintage cowboy boots made prior to 1977.

Evidently, the style we recognize as a cowboy boot got its start in 1875 thanks to Charles Henry Hyer — a bootmaker in Olathe, Kansas.

These Hyer boots still have an Olathe, Kansas origin label on them, so they pre-date the sale of the company in 1977 (though they could go as late as 1978 when the new owner shut down Kansas operations and moved the whole shebang to Texas).

Not that I needed another pair of cowboy boots (I already have 2 Luccheses and 1 Nocona). Hell, I don’t need any more pairs of shoes of any kind, but I keep buying them (2 more this past week besides the boots).

But how often do you get to buy a piece of American history?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a flyer today on what appears to be a pair of vintage cowboy boots made prior to 1977.

Evidently, the style we recognize as a cowboy boot got its start in 1875 thanks to Charles Henry Hyer — a bootmaker in Olathe, Kansas.

These Hyer boots still have an Olathe, Kansas origin label on them, so they pre-date the sale of the company in 1977 (though they could go as late as 1978 when the new owner shut down Kansas operations and moved the whole shebang to Texas).

Not that I needed another pair of cowboy boots (I already have 2 Luccheses and 1 Nocona). Hell, I don’t need any more pairs of shoes of any kind, but I keep buying them (2 more this past week besides the boots).

View attachment 1278324
View attachment 1278325
View attachment 1278326

I don't think any of the brothers here need more footwear of any kind.

But a piece of history? Amazing.

M.Photog

Reaction score

View attachment 1278324
View attachment 1278325
View attachment 1278326
Nice find, I picked up a pair of Rios of Mercedes for $6. They have an interesting history also. These are Alligator made in the early 90s I believe
688891E9-8523-46A4-AE30-40B3FC53897C.jpeg
6CDD6430-F357-436C-8E61-16B75E839FA4.jpeg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice find, I picked up a pair of Rios of Mercedes for $6. They have an interesting history also. These are Alligator made in the early 90s I believe View attachment 1278426 View attachment 1278428

That’s awesome. Coincidentally, Rios of Mercedes and the Olathe Boot Company (nee Hyer) are now owned by the same parent company: Western Leather Goods.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice find, I picked up a pair of Rios of Mercedes for $6. They have an interesting history also. These are Alligator made in the early 90s I believe View attachment 1278426 View attachment 1278428

Dang. Those are good looking. The heel on those don't look too bad. I realized years ago, I have trouble walking in western boots if they have a tall heel especially if its a typical western heel that sort of curves. When I wore/wear that style, I CLUNK along. I can't walk quietly in them. But, if I wear a boot like a roper with a heel like a regular dress shoe, it is fine it doesn't feel any different. I think typical heels on my dress shoes are 1/2" up to 3/4"? But, a lot of western boots have 1.5-2" inch heels. I'm sure if I wore the boots with a regular western heel I could get used to it. I also noticed if I wear a pair with a taller heel, my lower back hurts at the end of a day. But, that never happens with any of my dress shoes. Must be because the taller heel throws off my posture or some alignment. I still like wearing them every once in a while.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure everyone has seen various advertisements for Taft shoes. They are supposed to be a higher end shoe with some funky styles and some traditional styles. I would guess they are geared toward younger men than me (I'm 46) and probably more towards the men who are upgrading their shoes from department store brands.

Back in the spring, I saw a couple things on Facebook advertising the Taft shoes. (By the way, if you click on a shoe advertisement ONCE, you will get shoe ads non-stop -- that's not always a bad thing. But, most of them are either "high fashion" -- i.e. ugly expensive crap or super expensive European styles that are way too "metrosexual" for me).

So, I looked at a Taft's online a few times. I signed up for some discount and I read a review of the shoes. It looked promising. I received a 50% off deal with free shipping. So, I thought I would check them out. I don't remember which style I first wanted, but it was backordered or discontinued. I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of the "Beck" in burnt honey. I think it is one of the more popular styles.

I got them in and put them in my closet and forgot about them. Then, several months ago, I decided to get them back out and I wore them.

Last night I was thinking about a new pair of Footjoy I bought and I was going to wear them. But, they are VERY nice shoes and the "virgin wear" is always tough. So, I went back to these Taft shoes.

I can provide a quick and dirty review. The process of buying, paying, and shipping was very easy and I was impressed. They come nicely boxed and with extra shoe laces.

When I first got them out I was torn between thinking they were REALLY nice and also thinking they were cheap junk made to look nice. The truth is somewhere in between. We are all familiar with how some cheap junky shoes are made to look great when new. But, its all plastic and shine and they fit like crap and wear out instantly. That is what I was worried about.

But, having worn these now (only twice), I am actually more impressed. These are not as nice Allen Edmonds (or anything better), but I think they are nicer and better than the crap that Johnston Murphy is offering now.

To those of us who like vintage shoes (especially the sturdy variety) these will look a little too sleek. I think most of the issue is the blake construction. I am used to seeing a nice goodyear welt. The blake construction does make them lighter and a little slimmer. But, it also makes me wonder about longevity.

I was worried these would be plastic feeling heavily corrected leather like so many modern shoes. I was surprised. It is not the quality of leather we find in our vintage shoes that used real full grain leather. But, its actually pretty nice.

Because of the lighter construction and thinner leather, these will not last for decades for my Florsheims. But, the lighter construction and leather choice makes them pretty comfortable right out of the box.

I will say if you are considering these, size down a half size. I did because I had read other warnings. Also, these are medium width. BUT, if my foot wasn't narrow, I don't think I could put these on. If your foot is on the wider side, I don't think these would work.

Here are some pictures. In general, I would buy another pair IF I had the 50% deal again. They are nicer than department store shoes. They do have more modern designs. They are not as nice most of the shoes we all wear. But, with the 50% off deal, they cost less than $125. So, my expectations were fairly low.

IMG_0202.jpg IMG_0203.jpg IMG_0204.jpg IMG_0206.jpg IMG_0207.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mystery shell Florsheim PTBs on the move.
6934B62A-3D4E-4E65-9E8D-51B381893D61.jpeg
D642A1D4-1515-4029-8ECD-E66A076709CC.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seen here many times before but worth seeing again: Edwin Clapp alligators.
BEF17D25-411C-4604-867A-316937150C94.jpeg
4C5D8A41-38A7-4CDB-BCF1-1D126B6016D6.jpeg
171F2DEA-C628-4730-A325-230B1D177157.jpeg

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads