• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was one of the most memorable meals I have had anywhere.
It's a great little place, and Tokyo has a ton of them. The challenges are:
(A) they're hard to find - that place is in the middle of a part of Shinjuku (called "Piss Alley") and (B) they often have minimal (or no) English, including menus.

Many have been there (in Piss Alley) forever, but it is increasingly overrun by tourists. Somehow some still manage to be hidden places that tourists don't go, hiding in plain sight.

It's sad, because I'm part of that problem (albeit in the company of someone who lives in Tokyo and speak/read Japanese fluently) - I've been to Piss Alleny a number of times over the years and it used to be rare to see someone else not-Japanese there. now it's the opposite. :/

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to go with leather! My cobbler was blown away by the condition of these when he took them apart...he said even though they are vintage, the cork was almost perfect (yes, he replaced it!) He said the McHale shoes certainly are gems! Thought I’d post an updated picture. Thanks for all the help guys!

The results look great! Which cobbler did you use?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this picture was taken on the way up Brockway Summit, which is on the north side of the lake, between Truckee and Kings Beach. The snow gets deep up there. I've driven that road hundreds of times and it's absolutely beautiful, summer or winter.
View attachment 1277240
Know it well I used to have a place outside Kings Beach. Down on the south end these days

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these 93605s too dried out? I’ve been looking for another pair. Mine have really uneven shell. Are these too risky?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its pretty cold here in the Mid South. Memphis is not used to real winter weather in November. Yesterday it was cold and rainy and the temperature dropped below freezing and everyone was worried we would have ice this morning. Luckily, no ice, no continued precipitation. BUT, out of an abundance of caution, I decided I needed some shoes with a little more grip this morning. As it turns out, I didn't. But, it did give me an opportunity to wear some shoes I think are pretty cool.

Here are my Allen Edmonds Cornell Monk Strap with the Commando Sole!

My only complaint with these is related to the fact that my foot is narrow. And even though these are a narrow size, they are still a little wide.

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are these 93605s too dried out? I’ve been looking for another pair. Mine have really uneven shell. Are these too risky?

Well, they are dry for sure, but it is hard to say if they are TOO dry. You may not know until you put your hands on them. I have had luck bringing up an issue before purchase and asking for a right of return within 3 days of purchase and me paying for the return. Sometimes they accept that offer and it reduces the risk.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swims Mobsters to protect my Florsheim PTBs.
249F269D-B70C-4F8C-8722-ACA3CF1CD260.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, they are dry for sure, but it is hard to say if they are TOO dry. You may not know until you put your hands on them. I have had luck bringing up an issue before purchase and asking for a right of return within 3 days of purchase and me paying for the return. Sometimes they accept that offer and it reduces the risk.
Thanks. They sold. So I don’t have to kvetch about it. In other news there’s a Florsheim shell short wing unicorn pair up for sale in 9AA. If they were D width I would have grabbed them.

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have A pair of Johnston and Murphy melton that are a dark burgundy color. But they are corrected grain and are starting to look very bad. I think a few people who did the shoe challenge were able to deal with corrected grain.

What was the consensus about how to remove that? I thought I remembered acetone but I’m not sure regular acetone (like fingernail polish remover) would be strong enough.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I answered my own question. I found a post by @wasmisterfu from the 2018 shoe challenge. He removed the CG on a pair of AE Park Avenue. That really surprised me that they have CG.

Here is a new question for you. I have a trial next month. The opposing counsel has been the most difficult attorney I have ever dealt with in 16 years. I have been against some great attorneys that made me work. This is not the case. This is an attorney who fights over EVERYTHING. No matter what it is, there is going to be a battle. AND 90% of the time it’s not worth the fight and the opposing attorney is often wrong. The reason I mention all this is that I want to win this trial about as much as I want to keep breathing. So, if I do win, I plan to reward myself with some new shoes.

I’m thinking something fairly extravagant. I’m frugal, so my idea of extravagant might not be the same as others. Let’s say my budget is roughly equivalent to a new pair of Alden Shell Cordovan.

What would make a great reward pair for $800 or less?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the 1971 AE catalog, the Tom, Dick and Harry wingtip.

And a nice example in 11.5D currently on Ebay. Not my listing, but I thought they were a great example and not commonly seen. Nearly 50 years old. Looks like grandpa wore them once and then left them in the closet.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the 1971 AE catalog, the Tom, Dick and Harry wingtip.

View attachment 1278030

And a nice example in 11.5D currently on Ebay. Not my listing, but I thought they were a great example and not commonly seen. Nearly 50 years old. Looks like grandpa wore them once and then left them in the closet.

View attachment 1278031
View attachment 1278032

View attachment 1278033

With that heel and logo, those are much newer than 1971. It must have been a fairly long running model.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads