• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TS2404

Reaction score
John McHale Florsheims today. It’s going to be a bit wet and I think these will hold up against the elements well.

955EB718-656A-487B-B492-360226F11E02.jpeg

B6E047A5-776E-45AD-9EB4-A654DCA973B2.jpeg

DapperAndy

Reaction score
Burgundy Johnston & Murphy Aristocraft Split-Toe Derby. Given a "lensing" treatment using Pure Polish Blue Paste/Wax for the toes and heels. The goal was to give it a "steel blue" look under certain lights.
These are part of my weekly rotation, and they needed some love after tromping through grassy parks and fallen leaves last week.
johnston-murphy-split-toe - 1.jpg
johnston-murphy-split-toe - 2.jpg
johnston-murphy-split-toe - 3.jpg
johnston-murphy-split-toe - 4.jpg
johnston-murphy-split-toe - 5.jpg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Edwin Clapp alligator NSTs off eBay. While I got the pair of 13 Bs, it turns out he also has a pair of 13 Cs. That is _way_ too wide for me, but if any of you are in the market, here is his email address, and a few photos. They aren't particularly sharp photos, but these shoes don't show up very often.

[email protected]

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy Johnston & Murphy Aristocraft Split-Toe Derby. Given a "lensing" treatment using Pure Polish Blue Paste/Wax for the toes and heels. The goal was to give it a "steel blue" look under certain lights.
These are part of my weekly rotation, and they needed some love after tromping through grassy parks and fallen leaves last week.
View attachment 1274993 View attachment 1274994 View attachment 1274995 View attachment 1274996 View attachment 1274997

I’m not seeing the steel blue. But, those look fantastic! Very nice!

I need some eBay shoe advice from the group. I bought a pair of AE Randolph. They were listed as 11C. I had heard the Randolph ran a little long. I wear 11 or 11.5 B or C. I got a good deal on them. I just got them and they are in very good shape. They have not been worn than a handful of times.

But, they are 11.5 C. They feel a little bit loose and very long. If they loosen up at all, they are going to flop all over.

So, do I return them? Or (considering I only paid $35) live with them and maybe get one of those tongue pads? Or ask for partial refund.

The listing says 11C in title and in Details. There was NO written description. They are very clearly marked 11 1/2 C.

A02138B6-28F8-48F8-B286-D643E853023F.jpeg

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i found these Florsheim shoes. i have no idea what they are the only markings on them are the number 3 union made, the blue thing inside that says Florsheim shoe but its very beaten. any help would be appreciated!
View attachment 1274922 View attachment 1274931 View attachment 1274932 View attachment 1274933 View attachment 1274935 View attachment 1274936 View attachment 1274937 View attachment 1274938 View attachment 1274939 View attachment 1274940 View attachment 1274941 View attachment 1274942

I believe those are in the Florsheim Catalog on vcleat. The leather is referred to as bookbinder Coventry calf.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Finally got around to finishing the Jarmans (jarmen?) I thrifted a couple weeks ago.

They were victims of uneven overpolishing, and sadly parts of the old finish peeled right off when I removed the polish. So they needed a little more restoration than I'd planned.

IMG_20191107_205416359.jpg

M.Photog

Reaction score
Finally got around to finishing the Jarmans (jarmen?) I thrifted a couple weeks ago.

They were victims of uneven overpolishing, and sadly parts of the old finish peeled right off when I removed the polish. So they needed a little more restoration than I'd planned.

View attachment 1275189

That is an interesting color, is that original to those shoes? I have a similar pair in black made by Mezlan. I haven't been on the forum for a while, did you post "before" pictures?

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

actionjbone

Reaction score
That is an interesting color, is that original to those shoes? I have a similar pair in black made by Mezlan. I haven't been on the forum for a while, did you post "before" pictures?
Didn't post any before photos. Before was just lots of dark brown polish, not much to see. (pair on the right)

The original color was a little browner than they are now, but nowhere near as dark as when they were slathered in old wax.

IMG_20191026_145146473.jpg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of saddle shoes, wore made in 1984 Allen-Edmonds Oakmonts today.

IMG_2772.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the brogueing pattern on those shoes!
Every time you post them, I tell myself that I need to find a pair.
That’s what I like about them too. I’ll keep an eye out for you. I’ve never seen another pair for sale, so I think we are due!

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aldens are made in US and really nice quality. But I think much of the interest generates from the limited runs of special orders that come from each retailer. This allows for a great variety but a very limited number. But all of that aside, the fit is what drew me in as I was looking for a cap toe balmoral and the Park Ave would just not work. The V gap was way too wide. If I sized up the gap would reduce some, but then the ankles would bow. The AE 65 last just did not work for my feet. The Alden Hampton last worked well and the rest was history for me. For example, these are today's shoes. Alden black shell perfed cap toe. The fit just works.

View attachment 1273642
I like Alden’s for many of the reasons you cited. I have the same issues as you with the 65 last. You might try AE’s 201 last? Much better closure in their balmoral shoes on the 201 last for me.
The Independence line of shoes on this last are great: Bartlett, Jefferson 2.0, and Hopkinson.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Alden’s for many of the reasons you cited. I have the same issues as you with the 65 last. You might try AE’s 201 last? Much better closure in their balmoral shoes on the 201 last for me.
The Independence line of shoes on this last are great: Bartlett, Jefferson 2.0, and Hopkinson.
+1

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been cleaning up my Crockett & Jones Balmorals in preparation for a late fall walk. Minus 4 Celsius here in Ottawa today but the sidewalks are dry and the sun is shining. One of the fun things about wearing these boots is seeing the lasted shoe trees again.

IMG_2755.jpg
IMG_2756.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's selection is a classic. Maybe a little boring. But, a staple of dress shoes even if they are only worn when needing a somber almost formal shoe. Of course, I'm talking about a black Cap Toe.

I rarely wear these. BUT, everytime I do I question whether I need another pair in a different color because they are nice shoes and they fit me well. I actually have two pair of these. One is 11C and the other is 11.5C. They both fit pretty well. The 11C feels just a little short after wearing them all day and the 11.5C feels a little long until the end of the day when they feel great.

IMG_0190.jpg IMG_0191.jpg

They are Johnston Murphy Melton and they are from the time period when these were still made in the USA. I had a pair that were newer and they were burgundy. The CG on them looked bad pretty quickly. I think they were made in India.

There is another style called the Hyde Park II. It costs $100 more than the Melton. I have never had a pair, but always wondered if they were worth the premium.

I'm sure this has been discussed before. But, if I can't find a replacement for these (or a different color), who else makes a decent Cap Toe?

I have:

J&M Melton (above)
AE Park Avenue (Brown)
Church's Consul (back when they made great shoes)

I also have Brooks Brothers but they are the cap toe with the Medallion Perf -- not quite as formal.

As infrequently as I wear this type of shoe, I'm not sure it is worth investing in the Alden Cap Toe (Straight Tip Bal) for $500+

Are there cheaper decent Alternatives? Or should I just keep looking out for J&M Made in USA?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads