• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Really nice condition 93605s in 10C. For sure worth a shot at making an offer if they're your size. Not mine.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a 9D so holler at me if they don’t work. BTW I have some rare split toe Florsheims in 9.5D that are too big for me. Let me know if you are interested.

These didn't work out fit/appearance (wife gave the thumbs down). I'll take some better pics tomorrow for you. If you are still interested, I'll pass for cost and we can figure out shipping.

Here’s a quick pic of the right heel counter, some small imperfections:

9196FAB1-6E75-4839-AD9D-816606ED0A52.jpeg
7D94D80E-D400-4C92-982C-7598DB192541.jpeg
7F8C89C1-D159-4DD9-876C-7062BC37F9C4.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
How is the quality of the Aussie made pairs relative to the US made ones of the same period?

Can't say, I've not seen a pair of US vintage ones here yet.

Things I have noticed though:

- The sizing is stamped in UK
- Size also runs small, I'm usually a UK9EEE and these are stamped 8EE but fit me rather decently.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say, I've not seen a pair of US vintage ones here yet.

Things I have noticed though:

- The sizing is stamped in UK
- Size also runs small, I'm usually a UK9EEE and these are stamped 8EE but fit me rather decently.

Do Aussie sizes run 1 size down relative to US sizes?

I wanted to buy a pair of RM Williams boots, and was told to go one size down from US sizing.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Progress report... I did some 3k grit sanding last night on the 93605s. Main focus was on the vamps but i hit several of the other non brogued panels as well.

It's pretty difficult to tell, at least for me, just how effective the sanding is while working on them. They took on a very matte appearance, which at the time was worrisome. I also was getting some color lift from the leather into the bick4 suspension. Im not sure if that was old polish or from the leather.

The other thing I found interesting is that the shell seemed to be much more apt to take conditioner after the sanding. In hindsight, I'm not sure if that was a result of the sanding or coincidental and related to them sitting for 24hrs from their last conditioning, considering how dry they started.

Anyway, here's a before/after pic. They need more brushing and, I think, another round of the sanding. They are sitting in slightly bigger trees now. Unfortunately, i dont have a set of the adjustable type.

Edit: slight clarification, I was avoiding the areas that were both brogued and stitched since I really did not want to touch the thread. So the toes, for instance, I did sand a bit since there were some very slight scuffs that I thought could be improved.

Before:

20191007_081931.jpg

After:

20191008_095330.jpg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Progress report... I did some 3k grit sanding last night on the 93605s. Main focus was on the vamps but i hit several of the other non brogued panels as well.

It's pretty difficult to tell, at least for me, just how effective the sanding is while working on them. They took on a very matte appearance, which at the time was worrisome. I also was getting some color lift from the leather into the bick4 suspension. Im not sure if that was old polish or from the leather.

The other thing I found interesting is that the shell seemed to be much more apt to take conditioner after the sanding. In hindsight, I'm not sure if that was a result of the sanding or coincidental and related to them sitting for 24hrs from their last conditioning, considering how dry they started.

Anyway, here's a before/after pic. They need more brushing and, I think, another round of the sanding. They are sitting in slightly bigger trees now. Unfortunately, i dont have a set of the adjustable type.

Edit: slight clarification, I was avoiding the areas that were both brogued and stitched since I really did not want to touch the thread. So the toes, for instance, I did sand a bit since there were some very slight scuffs that I thought could be improved.

Before:

View attachment 1255004

After:

View attachment 1255006
They look great. I think with sanding the less you do the better. Some Venetian Shoe Cream would work well when they’re smooth to your liking.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
They look great. I think with sanding the less you do the better. Some Venetian Shoe Cream would work well when they’re smooth to your liking.

Yes, I think I agree with that also. The sanded areas remind me a little of how my Alden boots looked after I stripped the acrylic coating. I'm pretty confident I can get them back to a normal shell luster without to much of a problem.

I will probably do just a bit more sanding in the vamps to smooth them out. Depending upon how this turns out I might do the same on my nettletons.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some boring black Aristocrafts in need of a polish. Training day in boots tomorrow so I'm hitting Wingtip Wednesday early.
20191008_125057.jpg

Great job on the '605s Stook! I've wrecked a couple pairs of vintage shells being impatient. Let em sit for a few days and condition again. Then sit em another day. They have made it 40+ years. A week of treatment before wearing is ok.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads