• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm quite aware Golden Harvests in 13 might be a little challenging. The ones you see on eBay are all teeny-tiny, like 8, 9, 10. There is a pair on there now in 13B, and I think that's the largest I've seen...tempted to buy it and see if a cobbler couldn't stretch the shoes for width. The really frustrating thing about vintage shoes in 13 is how often you find a pair and it's like a 13A or 13AA...so close and yet so far.

P.S. re happypebble: I think 13s are going to be a tough find. I was looking at some historical and current size distribution graphs for shoe size the other day, and 50-60 years ago the middle of that bell curve was at 8.5, with 13 an extreme outlier. Now, the midrange is 10.5-12, so 13s are only one standard deviation from average, and much more common amongst modern shoes. But back then, almost unobtainium. Good luck!!

View attachment 1242314 View attachment 1242316
[/QUOTE]
That sinking feeling you get when you are confronted with the opinion that your size 9.5D feet, which you always considered average, are actually “teeny tiny!”
Wait! If my feet are actually teeny tiny, what about?......
:butbut:

actionjbone

Reaction score

hamercha

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just chiming in from the Thrift Thread to let you know that I grabbed a pair of 93631 Golden Harvest longwings without checking closely, and it was only when I got home that I realized someone had them "painted" by a cobbler. Takes them out of contention for me as a resale item, but I thought one of you might enjoy them as a worthy project, since they are otherwise in pretty sturdy shape, with nice thick soles, and I think would come up beautifully with some work. Date code AA, so from 1960 or 1970. They are 8.5 B, so if one of you is that size, and would like to have these as a project, HMU and I'll send them your way. Pix below. I'll update this post when someone has claimed them as their own. Looking forward to seeing the pix when they're restored!

P.S. re happypebble: I think 13s are going to be a tough find. I was looking at some historical and current size distribution graphs for shoe size the other day, and 50-60 years ago the middle of that bell curve was at 8.5, with 13 an extreme outlier. Now, the midrange is 10.5-12, so 13s are only one standard deviation from average, and much more common amongst modern shoes. But back then, almost unobtainium. Good luck!!

View attachment 1242313 View attachment 1242314 View attachment 1242316
"I was looking at some historical and current size distribution graphs for shoe size the other day, and 50-60 years ago the middle of that bell curve was at 8.5, with 13 an extreme outlier. Now, the midrange is 10.5-12, so 13s are only one standard deviation from average, and much more common amongst modern shoes "

What is your source that 10.5-12 is on the middle of the bell curve now?
The store where I worked 20 years ago, most of our sales across all brands was between 8.5 to 10.5.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was re-reading some old pages (end of August 2018) to get a sense of why the 2018 revival challenge had better participation than this year's.

So if you're seeing I am liking or reacting to your older posts, don't freak out.

I was thoroughly entertained by some of the debates of the time.

More importantly, I was, and still am, in awe about the civility and friendliness that this thread is extremely committed to. Hats off to all you gents.

HalfHuskyBite

Reaction score
A nice 70's era pair of Dacks black camel derbys just crossed my path. I am not superstitious so I bought them. I am beginning to think that with the natural patterning of the camel leather, these plain toes look more elegant than my short-wing camel brogues, which sometimes strike me as busy. I have this same pair in tan as well. View attachment 1242703
Those ankle socks and calves.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was re-reading some old pages (end of August 2018) to get a sense of why the 2018 revival challenge had better participation than this year's.

So if you're seeing I am liking or reacting to your older posts, don't freak out.

I was thoroughly entertained by some of the debates of the time.

More importantly, I was, and still am, in awe about the civility and friendliness that this thread is extremely committed to. Hats off to all you gents.
Of course everything looked civil in the thread.
I did all of my trash talking in personal messages to the other participants.

actionjbone

Reaction score

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unboxed the Golden Harvests today and wondering if they are worthy. Flush vcleat and LJ code tells me they are from Dec. 1969, so coming up on their 50th birthday soon. Pix:
View attachment 1242237
A little dirty, but not too bad.

View attachment 1242236

View attachment 1242235
Some gouges on the toebox.

View attachment 1242234
More gouges.

View attachment 1242232
Some kind of homemade repair job on the piping. Glue? Epoxy? Doesn't seem to cause problems with a quick (pre-UV) try on, but doesn't look so hot...

View attachment 1242230
That one vcleat is toast.

View attachment 1242231

The current state of the ShoeLab... Lighting is good for working, less so for photography.

Any thoughts on the condition? They weren't the cheapest shoe I've ever bought online...
Lots of potential

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just chiming in from the Thrift Thread to let you know that I grabbed a pair of 93631 Golden Harvest longwings without checking closely, and it was only when I got home that I realized someone had them "painted" by a cobbler. Takes them out of contention for me as a resale item, but I thought one of you might enjoy them as a worthy project, since they are otherwise in pretty sturdy shape, with nice thick soles, and I think would come up beautifully with some work. Date code AA, so from 1960 or 1970. They are 8.5 B, so if one of you is that size, and would like to have these as a project, HMU and I'll send them your way. Pix below. I'll update this post when someone has claimed them as their own. Looking forward to seeing the pix when they're restored!

View attachment 1242313 View attachment 1242314 View attachment 1242316

Painted them? Savages!

Hubbins might take chance on them.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas: A member of the Facebook vintage shoe group that @suitforcourt started got me interested in kangaroo leather Stacy Adams shoes (this individual lives in my area, and we hung out on Sunday to talk shoes - great guy). He has a MI India pair that he loves. So, I started exploring some. I'd like to get some MIUSA. I found these (the seller cannot find a stamp indicating the manufacture country origin, but thinks that they are MIUSA):
I've compared them to styles on ClassicShoesForMen, and they look the same as these:
This appears to be Stacy Adams most common vintage style. I've heard great things about kangaroo leather, and it might be nice to own a pair. Any thoughts from the thread on whether these is worth pursuing?

Last edited:

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas: A member of the Facebook vintage shoe group that @suitforcourt started got me interested in kangaroo leather Stacy Adams shoes (this individual lives in my areas, and we hung out on Sunday to talk shoes - great guy). He has a MI India pair that he loves. So, I started exploring some. I'd like to get some MIUSA. I found these (the seller cannot find a stamp indicating the manufacture country origin, but things that are MIUSA):
I've compared them to styles on ClassicShoesForMen, and they look the same as these:
This appears to be Stacy Adams most common vintage style. I've heard great things about kangaroo leather, and it might be nice to own a pair. Any thoughts from the thread on whether these is worth pursuing?

Honestly, I find Stacy Adams of that vintage to be low quality shoes and I’m doubtful that those are actually kangaroo leather. While the classic shoes site has some wonderful shoes, it also tries to up sell some real duds, and I think that’s the case here. The high quality shoes from Stacy Adams that I’ve seen have a black cloth label inside, which I think they stopped using in the 60s.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Fellas: A member of the Facebook vintage shoe group that @suitforcourt started got me interested in kangaroo leather Stacy Adams shoes (this individual lives in my area, and we hung out on Sunday to talk shoes - great guy). He has a MI India pair that he loves. So, I started exploring some. I'd like to get some MIUSA. I found these (the seller cannot find a stamp indicating the manufacture country origin, but thinks that they are MIUSA):
That's the Madison. I posted about that line a month or two ago.

They're made from Kid leather, which is goat. It crinkles in a way similar to some kangaroo leathers, but it's not as strong.

If you look around, you can find both new and vintage for twenty to thirty bucks.

It runs about half a size small, so if you wear a 9 I recommend a 9.5.

The vintage are definitely superior to the India version, but the India one is actually not bad if you can find it new for thirty bucks.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course everything looked civil in the thread.
I did all of my trash talking in personal messages to the other participants.
I noticed a “like” from @suitforcourt for a post from a year ago and checked it out-I totally forgot about the lurker who took the Shoe Challenge as an opportunity to try and pick fights with everyone while not entering the contest himself-then vanished as suddenly as he appeared. Perhaps the best thing isn’t a contest at all but rather what @davidVC does on a semi regular basis,trying restoration techniques on various vintage shoes and documenting his methods. No schedule,no prize,no competition-My entry into this world was through his blog,it showed me what could be achieved with a bit of knowledge and patience. As much as I dig the shoe Appreciation on this thread,the things I continue to learn about vintage shoes and their construction/restoration is an extremely satisfying activity

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads