• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the comment that really gives me pause. I feel for you on this one because little things like that drive me crazy even though objectively they are not noticeable at all. If this was a shoe that you liked but wasn't one of your favorites, I'd be all for tinkering. However, once you get into this they are probably going to end up looking different and there's no turning back. So taking into consideration objectively how bad the issue seems to be (not very), with just how much you like them, and the risk of the job... I'm with the other guys - leave em.
Thanks guys. I could have AE do it for $50. I’m not sure it’s worth it though. As you are pointing out, sometimes the best intervention is no intervention.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.
I would have already, except I just ordered my first pair of Grant Stones.

Also, I finally put a bunch of stuff up on eBay, and for some reason it doesn't seem to be moving. Otherwise I'd use that outgoing to justify incoming. :-/

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool video about AE by my favorite style vloger. Check it out.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I could have AE do it for $50. I’m not sure it’s worth it though. As you are pointing out, sometimes the best intervention is no intervention.

I would not make the assumption that they'll turn out to your expectations using AE to refinish them either. In fact, I'd most likely trust myself more and I've only stripped 2 pairs so far. Just to be clear, I am not in the anti-AE camp. Quite the contrary. It's just a bit of a leap of faith in terms of who will do the work, how much they will care relative to you, and the extent to which you can influence the outcome by communicating what you want.

I'm assuming you have tried less extreme methods of working on them?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Nettleton. Happy Monday, Fellas.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not make the assumption that they'll turn out to your expectations using AE to refinish them either. In fact, I'd most likely trust myself more and I've only stripped 2 pairs so far. Just to be clear, I am not in the anti-AE camp. Quite the contrary. It's just a bit of a leap of faith in terms of who will do the work, how much they will care relative to you, and the extent to which you can influence the outcome by communicating what you want.

I'm assuming you have tried less extreme methods of working on them?
Indeed. I’ve just put some walnut shoe cream. That’s it. I’m obsessive about my shoes. I’m sure none of you would understand (read sarcasm). I think I’ll do like Elsa and let it go. Thanks.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Indeed. I’ve just put some walnut shoe cream. That’s it. I’m obsessive about my shoes. I’m sure none of you would understand (read sarcasm). I think I’ll do like Elsa and let it go. Thanks.

If you have a good collection of cream colors, I bet you could blend them better. I'd start there since it's low risk and reversible generally. I'd also use a little bit of wax polish on the toes to even out the sheen. I really think they can be further improved and blended without resorting to an actual refinish. Good luck!

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
A vintage Florsheim shoe question today:

It seems like Florsheim long wingtip bluchers are the predominant available style today. I see much less PTB and oxford, or strap styles.

Vintage PTB still commands high demand and resale price. But oxford and strap styles seem low in availability and in resale prices.

e.g.

Any thoughts on why that is?

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Entertaining but unless someone gifts me about 10 grand in tools I will leave the bottom of the shoes to the professionals from now on.
I don't think the heels will fall off.
View attachment 1229961
Nicely done. I still cannot find a suitable pair. I would have lent you my cobbler stand.
IMG_20190826_105411.jpg

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicely done. I still cannot find a suitable pair. I would have lent you my cobbler stand. View attachment 1230008
I've been considering one of those but I can't seem to find any way to reference the size of the foot piece . No way to tell in those ebay photos

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been considering one of those but I can't seem to find any way to reference the size of the foot piece . No way to tell in those ebay photos
I fell into mine. Got it at a Long Grove IL junk/antique store for $20. I saw another in Crystal Lake for $60 but it included a base made from a 6x6

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So another tidbit from my deconstruction to nail the heels. Beneath the liner is some fabric glued over what was most likely a thin foam pad. This pad was completely dried out and crumbling. I replaced it with a piece of soft leather insole from some donor shoes.
20190826_104802.jpg
20190826_105404.jpg
20190826_105335.jpg

I should really save all this for the full write up.../shrug

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads