• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a first time poster in this forum after it being recommended to me by someone in a similar community. I recently purchased a pair of Ferragamo loafers and was wondering what year they were from as well as the model and if possible, the value. I came across a listing online that claimed they were from the 60’s, but other than that, not else was mentioned. I would appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

The shoes:
The numbers inside:

I'd put them absolutely no earlier than the 90's

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, but I think the post would have benefited from having a period at the end of it. And I'm reminded of a great book I once read on the subject of the mayhem that can ensue when commas are misplaced. So I'm economical in my use of commas.
View attachment 1228370

Great book. I highly recommend it.

actionjbone

Reaction score
I'd put them absolutely no earlier than the 90's
@Casadepapel

Modern-style cemented construction (doesn't appear to be Bologna), single-row stitching throughout, heel riser doesn't look like leather, and I believe the foresole's handwritten logo was introduced in the early 80s.

These aren't too vintage.

Similar pairs are like $20 on eBay. These may go for more like $40 since they're NOS.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SANFORD. Not Strand.Cap-toe brogueing is cap-toe brogueing. ;)
Based on your statement, you are now required to wear these:
s-l1000.jpg

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’re both built on the 65 (Boulevard) last, and they’re quite similar. The Fifth Ave pre-dates the current Park Avenue, and the black Fifth Ave, 5705 is the longest continuously produced model in AE history, dating back to at least 1956 (the oldest available catalog).

The only significant difference is the brogued cap. That said, I prefer the Fifth Ave myself, and I think pre-86 models, with the 7 eyelet lacing are particularly neat.

And since we’re talking about Fifth Ave’s, here’s some shoe Appreciation of a favorite pair of mine in “Antique Burgundy” (5785) from 1987:

K5JIjcV.jpg

6xSBVp9.jpg

gbkrmq0.jpg
Those are sharp. Rich in color. Nice.

Last edited:

happypebble

Reaction score
Great book. I highly recommend it.

I worked as a proofreader for several years; you can't get too picky with punctuation and grammar. These are the books that have served me well:
Strunk and White, The Elements of Style, 2nd/3rd edition
Chicago Manual of Style, 14th edition (1990s)
Lois Hutchinson, Standard Handbook for Secretaries
Fraser, The Complete Plain Words
Fowler's Modern English Usage
Prescriptive grammar is your friend.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool summer day to end the work week. Decided to call on my Golden Harvest pair. Wishing the brotherhood a great weekend ahead.

Attachments

• 2F94D9C4-703D-419F-ABA6-F9DDCBFA2F3E.jpeg
    2F94D9C4-703D-419F-ABA6-F9DDCBFA2F3E.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 55F6999E-A1F9-44B1-B78C-C3D7EE10C4F3.jpeg
    55F6999E-A1F9-44B1-B78C-C3D7EE10C4F3.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 19

happypebble

Reaction score
Cool summer day to end the work week. Decided to call on my Golden Harvest pair. Wishing the brotherhood a great weekend ahead.
Golden Harvests are so cool. They always look great. Never seen a pair in my size...people had tiny feet back in the day, I guess.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked as a proofreader for several years; you can't get too picky with punctuation and grammar. These are the books that have served me well:
Strunk and White, The Elements of Style, 2nd/3rd edition
Chicago Manual of Style, 14th edition (1990s)
Lois Hutchinson, Standard Handbook for Secretaries
Fraser, The Complete Plain Words
Fowler's Modern English Usage
Prescriptive grammar is your friend.

I was always partial to “American Usage and Style: The Consensus” by Roy H. Copperud.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Golden Harvests are so cool. They always look great. Never seen a pair in my size...people had tiny feet back in the day, I guess.

I have a pair in size 13, so there are grownup sizes, too. ;)

actionjbone

Reaction score
For this rainy day, went with my old Foot-so-Port loafers.

And gnome socks.

IMG_20190823_105830670-01.jpeg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late Thursday Florsheims
IMG_20190822_165538.jpg
IMG_20190822_113002.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads