• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions on the Stuart McGuire brand? Anybody have some of these?

I have a pair that I believe are Stuart McGuire PTBs. I -think- they are shell cordovan, but not 100%.

My overall impression is that they were a solid but mid-tier shoe maker. Could be a good value if you can find a nice pair in very good condition, but not in the same league as Nettleton, Florsheim Imperial, or Hanover LB Sheppard.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve run across several in the thrifts. The quality just doesn’t seem to be there, so I’ve always left them for the next guy. Stiff, plasticky, etc.

With a catalog that large, and judging from David’s post, I’m sure there must be some decent examples out there. I just haven’t come across them yet.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I was walking out the door my wife asked if these were new, "Nope, these are older than both of us". Needless to say, I found that funnier than she did.

92604 (ca. Nov '75/'85)
IMG-1281.JPG

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Go to Vcleat.com as the latest post concerns the Stuart McGuire brand.

actionjbone

Reaction score
I have a pair that I believe are Stuart McGuire PTBs. I -think- they are shell cordovan, but not 100%.

My overall impression is that they were a solid but mid-tier shoe maker. Could be a good value if you can find a nice pair in very good condition, but not in the same league as Nettleton, Florsheim Imperial, or Hanover LB Sheppard.
Stu McG is uneven.

I love my Stu McG sharkskin shoes, but I've also seen plenty of their meh stuff.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think? About time for me to take the LB Sheppard LWBs home to clean up and wear? The shipping manifest says 5/7. These have been in my office for almost 4 months.

Today's decidedly non-vintage shoes are the Alden 964 — burgundy calfskin NST. A little scuff on the right toe that I need to clean up. But these have been languishing in the closet for a few months. Adding them and their black counterparts back into the rotation.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to whether tassels or kilties are superior, there is always room for compromise. It's possible to have it all (plus longwings).

View attachment 1226707

+1 — I’ll see your kiltie, tassle longwing and raise you a spectator.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an uncle(married to my dads sister in the late 50s and early 60s) who was Cuban. He had come to LSU to study Sugar chemistry. He always wore off white linen suits, Panama hats had a pencil mustache and wore shoes just like that.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stu McG is uneven.

I love my Stu McG sharkskin shoes, but I've also seen plenty of their meh stuff.

I have two pair getting ready to head to the bay. Was trying some 12B shoes after the local AE claims that is my Brannock size. One is way too tight (near NOS black captoe). And the other is way too loose (really high instep on a NOS burgundy monkstrap).

If anyone is interested, hit me up. You can have them for the cost of shipping.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an uncle(married to my dads sister in the late 50s and early 60s) who was Cuban. He had come to LSU to study Sugar chemistry. He always wore off white linen suits, Panama hats had a pencil mustache and wore shoes just like that.

I have an off white linen suit and a Panama hat. Maybe I should grow a pencil mustache...I already have the shoes.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
As I was walking out the door my wife asked if these were new, "Nope, these are older than both of us". Needless to say, I found that funnier than she did.

92604 (ca. Nov '75/'85)
View attachment 1226995

Heh. Sounds like my wife. Pretty sure she is still trying to figure out what could possibly have happened to me and why I've suddenly gained an interest in old shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mid level like Dexter or B Mason. Still a great brand and better than most modern day disasters.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This pair of Stuart McGuire shell loafers was made by Hanover, with only a faint imprint on the heelpad showing SM branding. Great quality and comfort, about the same as my Alden 563s.
92DF0D11-B5C6-47A0-A1AC-139CA3E22FD1.jpeg
469214CA-2FB1-45DF-8C29-DE085142E7BC.jpeg

213130B6-57E6-484A-BF49-C208275A63C9.jpeg

Last edited:

actionjbone

Reaction score
Post #22500 on page 1500!

This thread's gone far.

Edit: sorry, I should have at least posted some vintage shoes.

Here are some vintage Lehigh shoes I just put up on eBay. They're only an 8C, so way too small for anyone I know. Which is a shame, because they've got a pretty cool look.

IMG_20190819_185124327.jpg IMG_20190819_185156161.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads