• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Okay, I know they aren't dress shoes but you guys have a lot of knowledge on restoration. And they are vintage, American, Dexter and incredibly made.

So pretend they're Dexter suede wingtips. Lol!

I spent an hour hammering them. Wire brush, sand paper, steel wool. The suede wants to come out, but I definitely need chemical assistance. You can see the inside lining where there's some orange crap (or turned orange) that was applied.

What do I use? Saddle soap? For whatever reason, I want to save these shoes. There's barely any wear on the vibram soles (which are both Goodyear welted and nailed).

Maybe acetone? No guts, no glory.

Pics make my efforts look like a mess. it's actually progress. There's just some areas of suede that will not "fluff up". Hence why I'd like a recco on what magic elixer to try because elbow grease ain't working on its own.

I'll never get this pair to equal the $250 clean examples online, but I'd like them to be presentable.

These are officially being entered into the next challenge. Let's party!

The prize will be pics of me wearing them hiking vernal falls in Yosemite!

View attachment 1225491 View attachment 1225492
Have you tried white vinegar? I've heard it's good at un-gunking suede, pour on a dab and brush vigorously..

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

happypebble

Reaction score
Hellllloooooooo experts! I can't believe how much I've learned from this thread. Anyway, I'm looking at an eBay listing; it's described as "excellent condition," but I dunno...do these look a little trashed? The uppers look a little...distressed? $28 for these, new on the Florsheim website for $110. Can't decide if I can live with them like this or bite the bullet and buy new. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLORSHEIM-33455-COMO-BLACK-CHERRY-STRAP-LEATHER-MOCC-LOAFERS-SHOES-13-D/254196442292?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came back from my Saturday morning thrift run to find some strange goings-on in the thread. Spam, sneakers with suits, it's all good. So I'll post these LNWOT thrifted Dr. Martens for personal that aren't vintage, aren't dress and don't have the quality of the MI England Dr. Martens of yore, but will fit the bill for now. My old MI England pair were a little tight on me and gathered dust, so my wife took the liberty of donating them without asking first. I forgave her. [EDIT] Whoa, they're trendy again. Who'da thunkit?
IMG_9920.JPG

Oh, and the AE Leeds found a new home, it's in France.
fullsizeoutput_1fb3.jpeg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was his check list?

Main photo of an unrelated interior? Check.
Second photo, an unrelated interior? Check.
Photos of product dark, blurred or strange angle? Check.
I’m going to make an offer for the shoes and the hotel room drapes.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to share what might Be the most bizarre listing photos for shoes (or is it...?) I’ve ever seen on eBay.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... yup, that’s way strange. We’ve got a photo of the hotel room, followed by a mirror selfie in the bathroom, followed by a bunch a photos of (what I believe to be) Hanover/Bostonian sourced CG Nordstrom derby (faux-blucher) long-wings of questionable quality.

Here’s what I know:
1. Super sloppy/strange to accidentally post pictures of your location and self in a listing.
2. Shoes pictured in the listing aren’t Allen Edmonds... not even close, IMHO.

My verdict: the dude is badly hungover after a rough night in Vegas or AC, and needs money for Tony in a hurry.

naTLcoU.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hellllloooooooo experts! I can't believe how much I've learned from this thread. Anyway, I'm looking at an eBay listing; it's described as "excellent condition," but I dunno...do these look a little trashed? The uppers look a little...distressed? $28 for these, new on the Florsheim website for $110. Can't decide if I can live with them like this or bite the bullet and buy new. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLORSHEIM-33455-COMO-BLACK-CHERRY-STRAP-LEATHER-MOCC-LOAFERS-SHOES-13-D/254196442292?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
These are not the shoes you are looking for.
databank_jedimindtrick_01_169_a491266d.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have to agree with @wasmisterfu on this pair. They are your basic Made in India Florsheims loafers. Nothing vintage or terribly special about them.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your position, but the world now will accept even sneakers with a suit. I would far rather see a nice chukka, especially made of shell, than a silly pair of sneakers.

View attachment 1225518
On sneakers... no serious person does this. Really.

You’ll see “forced-to-wear a suit” types, wearing sneakers on their commute home because their cheap, ill-fitting dress shoes are chewing up their feet; it’s a sad and miserable look. Some hipstery types (aka schmucks) like to ironically wear chucks with their suits because “so non-conformist it hurts”. Neither reason looks good or is acceptable in serious company, no matter how hard the terminally unstylish “fast-fashion” industry pushes the athleisure look.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would not buy this pair.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not buy this pair.
I’ve found that one of the big problems with my 90’s miIndia Florsheim’s is that they’re really uncomfortable. All of the reenforcing materials are incredibly stiff (counters, toe-puff, etc.) and the linings are a combination of synthetics and low-quality leather.
kZOs0kr.jpg

I bought these CG NOS miIndia mid-late 90’s Florsheim’s for poor weather use, but the more I wear them, the more I dislike them. There is, put simply, no “breaking them in” - they don’t loosen up and they don’t breathe at all. They’re nothing like the miUSA Florsheim’s; even the cost-cut late 80’s early 90’s blue-label miUSA Florsheim’s are far more comfortable.

So I’ve decided to use them as a testbed for my competition activities. After that, I’ll dissect/vivisect them for science as their construction is interesting - I’d thought they were GYW, having pulled the synthetic foot-bed/heel liner thingie, I’ve discovered that they appear to be Blake+Rapid. That said, I got my 15 bucks out of them, but I don’t care to subject my feet to them any longer, so they’ll soon meet their grisly fate.

actionjbone

Reaction score
What's this about hating on square-toed shoes?

IMG_20190817_175944948.jpg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are leaning more towards wedge than square. I’m not a fan of those, but when I think of square-toed shoes, this is what I’m thinking of:
daf2oBX.jpg
I agree.
While the first pair has a somewhat squarish toe, it’s not horrible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads