• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deal. I'll let you know how it goes with the Dundee chukka boots, but it probably won't be until late September that I get back to the US. If they're too small I'll get in touch to see what you're thinking at that time.

I am thinking about how to make them work with my work wear. I am sure it will be fine when other lawyers wear square toed loafers or monstrosities from Aldo.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about how to make them work with my work wear. I am sure it will be fine when other lawyers wear square toed loafers or monstrosities from Aldo.

Could be a regional thing, but I think boots (both chukka and chelsea) work fine with suits when they are calf or cordovan. Many people probably wouldn't even notice that they are boots... and either way, compared to what most people wear, I think it's okay to have a bit of flair sometimes.

On the other hand, suede boots don't do it for me with suits.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Deal. I'll let you know how it goes with the Dundee chukka boots, but it probably won't be until late September that I get back to the US. If they're too small I'll get in touch to see what you're thinking at that time.

I bet that they will work pretty well for you. I recently sold a pair of shoes on the 511 last in a 9E that I wore for many, many times over the years that worked reasonably well for me. In that length, a 9EE or 9EEE would have been better since if I was doing a lot of walking in the 9E it would be a problem with the toe box space.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to bed thinking I have enough shoes. This morning, I woke up to 18 new messages on SF. Then @smfdoc 's wise words hit home. Then I realized others wanted them.

You snooze, you lose. What an appropriate quote.

@Oshare - post pics when you get them. Great pick up. We can always trade if they don't work out for you. I have a few pairs in 9.5D and 9.5E that are not ideal fits for me.

I excel in telling other people the best decision and how to live their lives. For myself? Not nearly so good.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

actionjbone

Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to share what might Be the most bizarre listing photos for shoes (or is it...?) I’ve ever seen on eBay.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to share what might Be the most bizarre listing photos for shoes (or is it...?) I’ve ever seen on eBay.

Just when you thought you've seen it all...

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear them with suits? My understanding is that chukkas are more casual or business smart.

Or am I overthinking and should just buy this pair.
I don't wear suits on a daily basis. Pretty infequently in fact. But I feel like shell chukkas could be worn with a suit.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know they aren't dress shoes but you guys have a lot of knowledge on restoration. And they are vintage, American, Dexter and incredibly made.

So pretend they're Dexter suede wingtips. Lol!

I spent an hour hammering them. Wire brush, sand paper, steel wool. The suede wants to come out, but I definitely need chemical assistance. You can see the inside lining where there's some orange crap (or turned orange) that was applied.

What do I use? Saddle soap? For whatever reason, I want to save these shoes. There's barely any wear on the vibram soles (which are both Goodyear welted and nailed).

Maybe acetone? No guts, no glory.

Pics make my efforts look like a mess. it's actually progress. There's just some areas of suede that will not "fluff up". Hence why I'd like a recco on what magic elixer to try because elbow grease ain't working on its own.

I'll never get this pair to equal the $250 clean examples online, but I'd like them to be presentable.

These are officially being entered into the next challenge. Let's party!

The prize will be pics of me wearing them hiking vernal falls in Yosemite!

20190816_175656.jpg
20190816_175512.jpg

Hit the bins at lunch. The usual... Buying **** only I care about. Haha!

Some mid 70s Dexter mountaineering boots for $5. They're actually collectable and these have low wear... But some jackass must have tried to waterproof them with non suede specific stuff... Because now the suede is shiny and a little sticky. I assume there's no fixing that at this point?

Or go for broke and hit them sand paper and steel wool to try and fluff the suede?
View attachment 1225108

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear them with suits? My understanding is that chukkas are more casual or business smart.

Or am I overthinking and should just buy this pair.
Yeah, they’re a no-go with a suit, IMHO, but you could wear them with a sport coat and tie. You might get away with wearing them with a tweed suit, but personally, I wouldn’t.

Then again, at least some of this depends on the environment in which you’re wearing your suit.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, they’re a no-go with a suit, IMHO, but you could wear them with a sport coat and tie. You might get away with wearing them with a tweed suit, but personally, I wouldn’t.

Then again, at least some of this depends on the environment in which you’re wearing your suit.

I understand your position, but the world now will accept even sneakers with a suit. I would far rather see a nice chukka, especially made of shell, than a silly pair of sneakers.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What was his check list?

Main photo of an unrelated interior? Check.
Second photo, an unrelated interior? Check.
Photos of product dark, blurred or strange angle? Check.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads