• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a pair of Footjoy sharkskin saddles on the way. The sizing was a bit of a gamble, and now I am anxiously waiting to see if they work out.
View attachment 1222903

I hope the Footjoy sharkskin saddle shoes work out for you. I took a gamble on mine as well, and picked them up on a whim.

They are a bit on the snug side when compared to my Florsheims of the same marked size, but YMMV.

Yesterday was the first time I wore them for a full day of work at the office, and I was pleasantly surprised that despite being snug my feet were not aching when I got home. Definitely keepers!

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoe week continues with Florsheim 96624 Royal Imperial LWBs today.

20190814-01.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks for this write up. I've never used VSC, but am very curious to try it. Will probably order some and pick it up the next time I'm stateside.

Did you buy the big 32 oz. tin? The only other size seems to be a small 3 oz. glass bottle, which might be enough to do 2 pairs of shoes? ;)

Haha, it's very funny you mention this. There has got to be a side business for a mid-sized VSC repack. I bought the little 3oz container a couple years ago and I'm nearing the end of it. I like the product, especially for shell but for other leathers too. I do wish there were more size options though. I will probably order the giant size next time and will have it for the rest of my life. Also, as a side note that might be relevant for you for shipping, etc. the 3oz one is plastic not glass. It would be enough for a lot of shoes, actually. I'm not too sure how many times I have used it but quite a bit more than for 2 pairs.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of hype on the AE thread for the upcoming shell trunk show. Sadly my water heater started leaking last night which kills any idea of getting another pair of boots this year. This made me very sad.
Today's wingtip wednesday shoes got me thinking about vintage value again. With shipping I think these cost me 120.
20190814_115422.jpg

A pair of burgundy shell AE Macneils will set you back 695 plus tax. Although well made I doubt they will be looking this good in the year 2060. And they have sissy heals!
20190814_121329.jpg

I should really stay exclusively on this thread. Makes for a much happier day.

Carry On

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Lots of hype on the AE thread for the upcoming shell trunk show. Sadly my water heater started leaking last night which kills any idea of getting another pair of boots this year. This made me very sad.
Today's wingtip wednesday shoes got me thinking about vintage value again. With shipping I think these cost me 120.
View attachment 1223602
A pair of burgundy shell AE Macneils will set you back 695 plus tax. Although well made I doubt they will be looking this good in the year 2060. And they have sissy heals!
View attachment 1223609
I should really stay exclusively on this thread. Makes for a much happier day.

Carry On

But can you get them in navy or green or chili? ;)

Those florsheims look great. Aside from the unique colors it's hard to justify the macneil at retail with the availability of really good vintage options.

Good luck with your water heater. I recommend the heat pump ones.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But can you get them in navy or green or chili? ;)

Those florsheims look great. Aside from the unique colors it's hard to justify the macneil at retail with the availability of really good vintage options.

Good luck with your water heater. I recommend the heat pump ones.
I've never tried to recolor shell...sounds like a new project :)

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I've never tried to recolor shell...sounds like a new project :)

I will give a serious reply to your presumably facetious one. ;)

I was asking recently about dying shell myself since I have an ocean blue wallet that's lost some of it's color. It is apparently doable. I will post pics when I get around to this...

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will give a serious reply to your presumably facetious one. ;)

I was asking recently about dying shell myself since I have an ocean blue wallet that's lost some of it's color. It is apparently doable. I will post pics when I get around to this...
Thou doth presume incorrectly. I love ridiculous projects.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thou doth presume incorrectly. I love ridiculous projects.

I dont think it's that rediculous myself. Risky, yes. I'm going to try it in the next week or two once I'm done with the current project.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current project is not moving along very quickly. Too bad the restoration challenge isnt like the SSIA competition where only one shoe is restored. I might finish in time that way.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Current project is not moving along very quickly. Too bad the restoration challenge isnt like the SSIA competition where only one shoe is restored. I might finish in time that way.
Just be like me and accept you don't care about contests, so you finish everything on your own time. ;-)

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If we were SSIA level, we'd be much happier as a group.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads