• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
The ultimate in listing laziness - wtf. Sent the guy a msg. Thanks for the tip.

Oops - quoted the wrong post. Must be getting tired --- this refers to the multi listing Florsheim.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read an article that he put down the deposit on his second Ferrari. His entire income is now based on thrifting.

If I could do the same, I would burn all my degrees and my license. I'd rather be looking for hand lasted Barrie shoes rather than figuring out how to convince a judge my client is innocent. Not the same exhilaration or high.
Thrifting is a good side hustle, but likely not worth quitting your day job for. My criteria for thrifting are that it has to make enough to pay for my shoe habit and my car payment. And take no more than five hours a week, most of that between 9 and 12 Saturday morning. A few thrift store visits here and there during the week, and that's it.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
To save everyone else the trouble... he has the 9.5C left. That size wont work for me.

Strange way to list, but looks like some Golden Harvest in 9.5D and 9.5E.

Not my listing

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, same exact experience here in CT (burbs of NYC). Even the thrift stores in the super expensive commuter towns have horrible shoe selections. They have expensive label clothing --- shoes though, total junk. I don't get it either. I have to imagine that this region absolutely destroys the rest of the country in terms of sales for higher end dress shoes.
Maybe it's the difference in climate. Any shoe is going to take a bigger beating with snow, sleet, hail Salt and cold hard rain in the picture. Not to mention all the walking: on city streets, up and down stairs and on and off escalators, over street curbs through puddles and the like. Why discard a current pair for another that's likely to become just as beat up in short order when you can just wear the first one into the ground, may be the thinking.
But you are also right that someone has to be supporting all those AE shoe stores, too. Hmmm. Visiting Californians? I dunno.

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banister is the same as Stetson. Hence a fab score. Banister was absorbed by Stetson and maintained as an alternative brand. Banister originally was top of the tree hence why Stetson prolly did that. Stretching from C to D with the proper device is a mere bagatelle.
Hmmm... I’ll have to assess whether the alligator could withstand stretching. It’s possible, I’ve been told, but might not be worth the risk. Vintage alligator can be dry. It recovers nicely with a few rounds of Bick 4. To be continued...

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm... I’ll have to assess whether the alligator could withstand stretching. It’s possible, I’ve been told, but might not be worth the risk. Vintage alligator can be dry. It recovers nicely with a few rounds of Bick 4. To be continued...

It would be a two month minimum of Bick4/Cadillac Creme 'bathings' before anything would be tried. Basically the stuff needs to ooze back out of the tiles.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have Poulsen Skone for Dunhill made to C&J Handgrade quality. So agree with you.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Done! I live to serve. I used a Harbor Freight Mini Pick and Hook set as they are sharp and I could get a good grip using the handle. I had to use a great deal of force to get it through the layer covering the ara where the two areas are sewn together, the counter and the inner layer. I found it VERY difficult to push through a little higher where the brogue line was. I can't imagine you would get the pin from an anti shoplifting devices through there or that yo would want to use a price tag machine there to push through the tag holder. I can see why they are made by a guy with a lasting nail and a hammer.

View attachment 1210078

View attachment 1210079

View attachment 1210081

Now that explains a hole in the exact same place on a pair of 1940s gator shoes I own.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have cobbler recommends for vintage shoe work in the SF Bay Area preferably south.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have cobbler recommends for vintage shoe work in the SF Bay Area preferably south.
I go to Model’s in Mt View. He’s great for basic stuff, like heels and half soles. He’s also affordable by any measure and downright dirt cheap for the Bay Area. For more complicated work I ship to Bedo’s. I have not found an artisan cobbler in the Bay Area. @CWOyaji might know if someone. He up the peninsula. Great to have another Bay Area thread member.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go to Model’s in Mt View. He’s great for basic stuff, like heels and half soles. He’s also affordable by any measure and downright dirt cheap for the Bay Area. For more complicated work I ship to Bedo’s. I have found an artisan cobbler in the Bay Area. @CWOyaji might know if someone. He up the peninsula. Great to have another Bay Area thread member.
Do you have the artisan contact I’m looking for someone to work with an idea

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have the artisan contact I’m looking for someone to work with an idea
No. I shipped a pair of 1970/71 monk strap AE boots to Bedo’s in VA. They are pricey but the guy does amazing work. There is a place is Los Altos called the Cobblery. They might be good but I’ve never tried. Lots of thread members ship their shoes to artisan cobblers who do lots of work in vintage shoes. Bedo’s is one. Sole Man in Buffalo is another.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my Florsheim black shell PTBs, recrafted by @Dan Frappier .

JR soles with cat paw heels for the ultimate vintage feel and look. Shoes feel like new.

Attachments

• F0153B2C-2B85-4B02-8CEA-51CF2E3F44DD.jpeg
    F0153B2C-2B85-4B02-8CEA-51CF2E3F44DD.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 37FE714F-6C04-4874-985F-65C19D221853.jpeg
    37FE714F-6C04-4874-985F-65C19D221853.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 99066445-A5F6-4FE3-8936-873F7839644A.jpeg
    99066445-A5F6-4FE3-8936-873F7839644A.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 19
  • 2C008C0B-2370-44AF-9B80-3B5B6304863D.jpeg
    2C008C0B-2370-44AF-9B80-3B5B6304863D.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 16

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had more Appreciation to furnish but I keep coming back to the well. Does anyone know where Alden sources those commando soles with the lugs and thin border. I been googling around pretty good and can't seem to locate them. The 435 is close but too thick . I'll ask over in the Alden thread also

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads