• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the shoes are lasted, the leather is pulled tightly around the last and nailed in place in order for the leather upper to take the form of the last. To make sure the leather upper does not shift or slide on the last while lasting, the upper is tacked at heel to the last, which is why you get those lasting holes.

Interesting. Many shoes do not have such obvious holes in the heels like that. Are they just hidden better, or is it more a matter of technique/construction method differences by manufacturer?

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @vestbash , I have overdosed on shoe Appreciation. What a collection.

@Oshare - those 9.5E are calling you.

I was taking a close look at those.

Actually, I'm more interested in the 93606s in 9.5D. Most of my shoes are D width, which I can get my feet into and are usually okay after a bit of stretching in a few key areas.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I stand corrected then... I just saw a bunch of a 341 last shoes at BB today none of which were stamped. I think all of the shoes on the 341 last are benchgrade. Maybe it changed at some point or I am just clueless.
C&J Camberly, stamped:
jkeHGWm.jpg

With Peal&Co. C&J’s, it’s sometimes variable based on volume or even luck of the draw. Here’s the same BB P&C model, one stamped, one written:
CyfLxJ8.jpg

On the subject of the mystery shoes, I don’t think they’re nearly as vintage as the laces make them look.

Raimar

Reaction score
I was happy with two recent acquisitions until I saw those recent postings. Need to step up my game. Are the J. Crew C&J?

Attachments

• IMG_6604.JPG
    IMG_6604.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6606.JPG
    IMG_6606.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6605.JPG
    IMG_6605.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6607.JPG
    IMG_6607.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6602.JPG
    IMG_6602.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6601.JPG
    IMG_6601.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 12

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They dont appear to be c&j to me. Theres a pic towards the end that shows stamped rather than handwritten numbering on the inside of the shoe. I'm not too sure what they are but I'm fairly certain not c&j.

I agree that there are better options out there at this price. They might clean up but they look a bit beat to me.
Thanks for the advice fellas.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Many shoes do not have such obvious holes in the heels like that. Are they just hidden better, or is it more a matter of technique/construction method differences by manufacturer?
Wow, I learned something today. I have a few pair with those holes, and I always thought it was just abuse from the previous owner (and I was, therefore, ready to ask @suitforcourt to move to the prosecutor's table to ensure justice would be done). Great stuff. And, @vestbash... where have you been? It's like when Jimmy Goroppolo joined the 49ers and led them to 6 straight victories after a 1-9 start (or maybe it's not, but I'm pining for football to start).

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The writing inside looks like C&J to me.
View attachment 1209780
After a little VSC and AE Walnut shoe polish. Thank you, Salvation Army!
View attachment 1209781
Is VSC your go-to now? I've thought about buying the gallon jug on amazon. But, I just opted for another 16oz-er of Bick4. I find that VSC can leave a white residue, though I still use it occasionally.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, lasting holes. They are frequently mentioned on the Alden thread. Link.
I've got a couple pairs with the lasting-hole marks, and they're different than that - smaller and kinda tucked to the side of the back strap (as shown in your link). I've also only seen them on boots. Not saying you're wrong, btw. I'll see if I can find the conversation about it later.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Golden Harvests had very worn heels, so I had them replaced with JR combination heels. My cobbler (Orange Heal in Nihonbashi) obliged my request to use extra nails to keep the vintage look. Very happy with how they came out. :)

I also put in my Footjoy shark saddle shoes (in the background) for a Vibram half sole to make them rain hardy.

20190721-01.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a couple pairs with the lasting-hole marks, and they're different than that - smaller and kinda tucked to the side of the back strap (as shown in your link). I've also only seen them on boots. Not saying you're wrong, btw. I'll see if I can find the conversation about it later.
Those are pretty blatant on his pair, but i'd be interested to see the results.

I can't find holes easily visible on most of my shoes. My son's and my boat shoes all have them, as do my Rancourt pinch loafers though.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Animals belong in their correct environment thus:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads