• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still in the rainy season but I figured the Florsheim by John McHale could handle it.

5119CC97-9AF1-4387-8E2B-6941FB706769.jpeg

Despite my growing collection, I only had 3 pairs I could wear in the rain. So I just had some Vibram half soles put on these John McHales to give them more utility.

20A85833-857C-4A49-910F-277C0AE892EF.jpeg

Happy Friday!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still in the rainy season but I figured the Florsheim by John McHale could handle it.

View attachment 1208970

Despite my growing collection, I only had 3 pairs I could wear in the rain. So I just had some Vibram half soles put on these John McHales to give them more utility.

View attachment 1208971

Happy Friday!

More and more of my shoes are getting the Topy work done. It really does make shoes much more versatile.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1208970

View attachment 1208971

Happy Friday!
That lacing, I can’t figure out what’s going on there.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of that same model. One that I restored and is now pretty nice, and a second that's currently mid-restoration.

I don't know enough to tell you about era, but that's a solid mid grade shoe.

Runs small, though. One of my pairs is 11 E, the other is 10.5 EE. My usual size is 10.5 D.

Also, the leather is a little thinner than average, so it does tend to hold creases more easily in the older models. But they respond well to a wet reshape.

Generally speaking, I find "Stacy hyphen Adams" is worthwhile, but "Stacy Adams" is garbage.
Those are after Stacy Adams starting going downhill. The really good Stacy Adams shoes have a black cloth label.
Much Appreciated

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More and more of my shoes are getting the Topy work done. It really does make shoes much more versatile.
I’m neurotic and Topy almost all my shoes. I don’t want to have to pay for a resole if/when they wear out (with 23 pair I would probably wear out the soles on any given pair in the year 2095). Seriously I wear my soles hard for some reason. The Topy also makes the shoes less slippery. I cut down the cost by doing the gluing, cutting and sanding myself. My cobbler sands the sole and cuts the Topy for me. It works out to $10/pair.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m neurotic and Topy almost all my shoes. I don’t want to have to pay for a resole if/when they wear out (with 23 pair I would probably wear out the soles on any given pair in the year 2095). Seriously I wear my soles hard for some reason. The Topy also makes the shoes less slippery. I cut down the cost by doing the gluing, cutting and sanding myself. My cobbler sands the sole and cuts the Topy for me. It works out to $10/pair.

Which Topy brand do you use?

I should try this. I need to buy that press machine after the glue is applied. That way pressure can be kept while glue is drying.

actionjbone

Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Topy’s are a fine solution. Another solution for those of us who wear toes and heels hard is basic cheapo taps, front and rear. I find that, with taps, I get much more even wear, my welts don’t get damaged and my sole and heel longevity is substantially longer.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Topy’s are a fine solution. Another solution for those of us who wear toes and heels hard is basic cheapo taps, front and rear. I find that, with taps, I get much more even wear, my welts don’t get damaged and my sole and heel longevity is substantially longer.

I have 2 pairs with metal toe taps. I will see if they "reduce" wear on the toe area.

The plastic ones seem to throw off the balance of the shoe.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1995 AE Walton, cognac shell. Even though these are a AA width, there is a ton of room in the forefoot — you can see the buckling in the vamp because there is way more space than I need. This is not a great last for me, but it works well enough.
View attachment 1208856 View attachment 1208858
I get the same thing happening with Alden's Barrie last. Fine for a thrift, but not at full retail.
Size 12C Hanover Shell Cordovan $60+ship. Soles in decent shape.

Gah! I missed the auction!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the same thing happening with Alden's Barrie last. Fine for a thrift, but not at full retail.
The (now retired) 3 (73/Bancroft) last is similar to the Barrie in that it has a fairly wide forefoot and toebox. My Broadstreet’s are on that last, and I find I have a fair amount of unused volume up front. For folks with very narrow feet, I could see both the 3 and Barrie lasts being challenging.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads