• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim PTBs today. We are going to hit the warmest temperatures this week with 45 degrees celsius (plus humidity).

But it's raining. So I figured I should pull out my pairs with topy and rubber heels.

Wishing you all a great Wednesday.

Attachments

• 5A020761-C93E-4ABB-B484-1339729C82AB.jpeg
    5A020761-C93E-4ABB-B484-1339729C82AB.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 16
  • CDED1C9C-A633-4937-95CE-E59E777DB1DE.jpeg
    CDED1C9C-A633-4937-95CE-E59E777DB1DE.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 21

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who was talking about French Shriner AND Urner?
1950s French Shriner and Urner specs.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Envy you! Such tremendous a pair of shoes

Thanks and welcome to the forum and this thread. Sadly, the shark shoes did not fit as well as I wished and they now live with some guy in Australia.

happypebble

Reaction score
So, whenever in Las Vegas, put down your drink for a moment and head over here for great service and a real shoe store experience...

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

happypebble

Reaction score
What work did you get done? Which shoes?
Not work, I had them come up with a pair of insoles for the Foot So Ports I found on eBay. They were quite thorough about getting me the right ones.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mph57

Reaction score
I shall opine, but keep my comments pithy:

Ugly, but kinda retro 80’s cool. I’d wear ‘em with chino’s and aviators. Probably better made than they might appear in the photos.

My wife has thrifted two pairs of those Florsheims from goodwill this past year. I can say they clean up very nice and look better in person than in the photos. When I asked her, both times, if I should keep or sell, she smiled and gave a definite sell recommendation : )

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife has thrifted two pairs of those Florsheims from goodwill this past year. I can say they clean up very nice and look better in person than in the photos. When I asked her, both times, if I should keep or sell, she smiled and gave a definite sell recommendation : )
What is this “selling shoes” you speak of?

mph57

Reaction score
What is this “selling shoes” you speak of?

Haha! I started out last year with the noble idea of only keeping 10 pair of shoes at any one time...last night I did a quick count and that's ballooned up to 23 pairs of shoes. So now I'm trying to get back down to a more manageable 15 or so...hence that strange word "selling" ;)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have finally been provided with some of the answers for the Red Wing LWBs, style 7510, that I picked up and determined that they were made by Mason. The customer service people at Red Wing dug through the catalog archives and provided the following information.

These are style #7510 from the 1970-1972 men’s dress shoe catalog supplements. Here’s a blurb from 1970:

7509 BLACK GRAIN WING TIP / 7510 BROWN

• Genuine Calfskin uppers
• Hand pasted and buffed finish
• Leather lined with perforated vamp
• Red Wing "Sweat-Proof" insole
• Leather mid-sole
• Cushioned tongue and heel pad
• Cushioned comfort arch
• Rubber heel and steel shank
• Special treated outsole (50% more wear)
• Leather storm welt - entire shoe
• Goodyear welt construction
• Made on 3WFCF* last

The WFCF designation in the last stands for "Where fit comes first" and it can be seen as a tag line from that era in the insole. The shoe was also made in black, with style number 7509. Red Wing also said they sold for $34.95 at the time. The inflation calculator brings that to $236.83 in 2019. I feel these are a mid range shoe for the time and not at the Florsheim Royal level. Perhaps someone has some information for the selling price of the better Florsheims in that era for a price comparison. The 1970 Hanover catalog on Vcleat.com listed the LB Sheppard level LWB was $21.95. I was surprised by these prices as the LB Sheppard was there highest quality shoe. I also discovered why I can never find a 12EEE Hanover LWB. The largest shoe in EEE is an 11. Another lump of coal in the smfdoc stocking.

Last edited:

aro777

Reaction score
It was recommended I cross post this here from the thrift shop thread. Found these in a (church) thrift shop, ha!.

I tried googling for information but I can't say for certain what the actual lineage of these shoes is, they are not marked Made in England. In any case, they are a very well made, obviously hand crafted pair of shoes that looks like they have never even been worn. There are some spots of what I assume is either water damage or even slight mold from improper storage, see pics. Any tips you have either for care, or for info on them is highly appreciated!

Also, sorry, my cat would not let me take pics without her in it.

Y4SHmA0.jpg

wd8fSsU.jpg

e8AvuRW.jpg

mG12RrN.jpg

RUGjCxd.jpg

QhGqo6b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads